English Championship & Football League Thread

I didn't realise that York was considered a 'North East' club. They will be in good company next season alongside former league clubs Stockport, Darlington, Bradford PA, Southport and possibly Halifax.

York are part of the 'North Riding Senior Cup' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Riding_Senior_Cup which all teams across the North Riding of Yorkshire play from quite low down in the tier structure right up to Boro reserves who submit a team to it, been played since the late 1800's, therefore York regularly play the Boro, well York play the Boro reserves anyway. Also Boro play York every pre season.

The riff raff from West, East and South Yorkshire are not involved in that comp so always seen York as part of Boro's area. Boro cross over really between Yorkshire to the south and County Durham to the north.

Middlesbrough is still 'Yorkshire' traditionally though?

I didn't realise that York was considered a 'North East' club. They will be in good company next season alongside former league clubs Stockport, Darlington, Bradford PA, Southport and possibly Halifax.

York are part of the 'North Riding Senior Cup' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Riding_Senior_Cup which all teams across the North Riding of Yorkshire play from quite low down in the tier structure right up to Boro reserves who submit a team to it, been played since the late 1800's, therefore York regularly play the Boro, well York play the Boro reserves anyway. Also Boro play York every pre season.

The riff raff from West, East and South Yorkshire are not involved in that comp so always seen York as part of Boro's area. Boro cross over really between Yorkshire to the south and County Durham to the north.

Middlesbrough is still 'Yorkshire' traditionally though?

Middlesbrough has always been in North Yorkshire. There were some stupid county changes in the 70's but they were put back. The river tees is the boundary between Yorkshire and County Durham, traditional south of the Tees always Boro supporters, north bank of the Tees some lean towards Sunderland. Middlesbrough is where NE England meets Yorkshire i guess.

Yep Leeds bottled it - had a 7 point gap on 7th with 8 games to play and lost it.

No new contract yet to monk either which is a real worry - this season could end up being another false dawn :(

Monk is linked with a switch to the Boro in some media circles, you would have to ask why he would switch from one basket case to another, he would be better off getting away from both lol

Southend miss out on the playoffs as Millwall won. Shame still gave me an excuse to dig out my old Southend shirt.

They became my second team when I lived in London, friend of mine was a big fan.

Some of the most fun football trips where away trips with Southend to places such as brentford and Barnett.

Edited by StringerBellend

Southend miss out on the playoffs as Millwall won. Shame still gave me an excuse to dig out my old Southend shirt.

They became my second team when I lived in London, friend of mine was a big fan.

Some of the most fun football trips where away trips with Southend to places such as brentford and Barnett.

I went to Sarfend in the 90's when both them and Boro were in the Championship, what an old little ground Roots Hall was, and still is I guess. I was in the upper tier right behind the goal and it felt like you could reach down and grab the cross bar lol The upper tier was literally  hanging over the top of the goal it seemed. You get a similar feeling at Loftus Road - QPR.

Here is the stand at Sarfend I am talking about - although I am sure when I went it was wooden...

roots_hall%20(5).jpg

Edited by WSWBoro

I went to Sarfend in the 90's when both them and Boro were in the Championship, what an old little ground Roots Hall was, and still is I guess. I was in the upper tier right behind the goal and it felt like you could reach down and grab the cross bar lol The upper tier was literally hanging over the top of the goal it seemed. You get a similar feeling at Loftus Road - QPR.

Here is the stand at Sarfend I am talking about - although I am sure when I went it was wooden...

roots_hall%20(5).jpg

Was that when Stan collymore played for them?

They once beat Newcastle Utd 4-0 to go to top of what is now the championship. You can probably still get a t shirt commemorating it now.

Then in mid 90s they were relegated in successive seasons. They were in div 3 when I went (or league 2 as it is now known).

Roots hall was (is) a cracking little ground. Although they are on the move soon, getting a new stadium built

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-39750548

I lived right near highbury so I would get the odd strange look walking to Arsenal tube in a Southend Utd shirt on match day especially if Arsenal were playing at home.

I'd get the train up to Liverpool about once a month to go to Everton games and go to quite a few Southend home games and the odd London based away

I went to Sarfend in the 90's when both them and Boro were in the Championship, what an old little ground Roots Hall was, and still is I guess. I was in the upper tier right behind the goal and it felt like you could reach down and grab the cross bar lol The upper tier was literally hanging over the top of the goal it seemed. You get a similar feeling at Loftus Road - QPR.

roots_hall%20(5).jpg

Was that when Stan collymore played for them?

They once beat Newcastle Utd 4-0 to go to top of what is now the championship. You can probably still get a t shirt commemorating it now.

Then in mid 90s they were relegated in successive seasons. They were in div 3 when I went (or league 2 as it is now known).

Roots hall was (is) a cracking little ground. Although they are on the move soon, getting a new stadium built

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-39750548

I lived right near highbury so I would get the odd strange look walking to Arsenal tube in a Southend Utd shirt on match day especially if Arsenal were playing at home.

I'd get the train up to Liverpool about once a month to go to Everton games and go to quite a few Southend home games and the odd London based away

The game I was at

Although I think my memory may be playing ticks on my because the upper tier is empty! I wonder if I am thinking QPR or even Brenford which has a similar stand behind the goal. I was deff at this game anyway lol

• 2 weeks later...

ah mack :smurfnono:

mooy has probably been the best midfielder in the championship this season. the praise he is getting is justified. huddersfield would be nowhere near the playoffs without him. and i can't stand them so there is definitely no bias from me.

Edited by lloydy136
14 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

Monk gone to boro.

FFS I do wonder why I bother caring sometimes.

No he hasn't not yet anyway. He is in talks with Gibson at Boro but nothing confirmed and Gibson is the master of the unexpected, not a dead cert Monk is coming to Boro.

I think Monk would be a good manager for us and a great test for him to step up to a bigger club I guess and test himself out....

Edited by WSWBoro
6 minutes ago, FCB said:

German coach, five no name German players. It'll be interesting if the coach is going to stay. Both Leverkusen and Dortmund have vacancies. 

You would have to think he would stay, done so well to get a club like Huddersfield up and surely he would want to test himself in the EPL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fixture list comes out on Wednesday :xbop: Always look forward to that but especially so this year as I will be in England for much of December and early Jan.

What I am hoping for...

Leeds United home or away, unlikely though, they never put high risk derby type games over Xmas

Fulham, QPR or Brentford away in the few weeks before xmas as I will be in London, or Reading I guess as that isn't far fro London on the choo choo.

An away trip to Notts Forest, either Sheffield club or Aston Villa would be nice

Sunderland home or away, as unlikely as Leeds..

What ever the fixture list throws out I will get to as many as possible.

Edited by WSWBoro

SO! games I will be at are as follows, can't fooking wait!

Saturday 16th December Millwall v Boro

Saturday 23rd December Sheff Weds V Boro

Tuesday 26th December Boro V Bolton

Saturday 30th December Boro V Aston Villa

Monday 01st January Preston NW V Boro

Saturday 06th January FA Cup 3rd round day so will go where ever 

Been to Millwall, Wednesday and PNE before but all good.

• 4 weeks later...

So a real statement of intent from Monk, Boro smash transfer record on Britt Assombalonga from Forest, any good the few Forest fans that post here?

Heard from a few that he had a knee injury and wasn't the player he was before it.

Liking the approach from Monk though and the backing from the Chairman....bit of optimism return to the Boro.

On 18/07/2017 at 4:14 PM, WSWBoro said:

So a real statement of intent from Monk, Boro smash transfer record on Britt Assombalonga from Forest, any good the few Forest fans that post here?

Heard from a few that he had a knee injury and wasn't the player he was before it.

Liking the approach from Monk though and the backing from the Chairman....bit of optimism return to the Boro.

I'd have to agree that he's not the player he was before the knee injury. At his best perhaps the most dangerous striker in the Championship but certainly a risk for the money Boro shelled out.

3 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I'd have to agree that he's not the player he was before the knee injury. At his best perhaps the most dangerous striker in the Championship but certainly a risk for the money Boro shelled out.

Ahh well. Gotta show some ambition and take a few risks else end up a championship also ran living off success from the 70's.

In Gibson and Monk i trust

• 2 weeks later...

Everton loaning Kieran Dowell to Forrest. The kid is a boss player, tipped to be better than Davies (who is ace). Surprised we are loaning him rather than using him in cup / Europa games. Ace for Forrest though, don't we have a couple on here? MartinTyler?