English Championship & Football League Thread

So kids, I'm off to UK week after next. So far the only game I have tickets for is Bury v Plymouth argyle. We are doing the full hospitality thing there for my brothers bucks should be good. Obviously Bury v Plymouth is one of classic games of world football, I'm surprised ESPN haven't done a documentary on it.

looks like I'll get to Everton v Sunderland in the carling cup (or whatever it's called these days) 

will be ok of me to be an A League snob and go on about how it's not as good.. as back home

Im also Devastated that I'm missing the cup game against Blacktown. I'll have to stream it in the UK

12 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

So kids, I'm off to UK week after next. So far the only game I have tickets for is Bury v Plymouth argyle. We are doing the full hospitality thing there for my brothers bucks should be good. Obviously Bury v Plymouth is one of classic games of world football, I'm surprised ESPN haven't done a documentary on it.

looks like I'll get to Everton v Sunderland in the carling cup (or whatever it's called these days) 

will be ok of me to be an A League snob and go on about how it's not as good.. as back home

Im also Devastated that I'm missing the cup game against Blacktown. I'll have to stream it in the UK

Have a great trip. You need pre-booked tickets for the Bury v Plymouth classic?

Match report from Bury v Plymouth Argyle

Giggs Lane is an ace little ground, stands on 4 sides all close to the pitch crowd looks like it was 3-4K in a 10k plus stadium.

A few couch loads of away support making a noise, credit to them it's probably 7 hours on a coach to Bury

We did the whole directors box experience for my brothers bucks. So we had a meal, drinks etc. Meet a couple of Bury legends which was great to hear these guys talk of the fondness for playing for a couple like that. 

Shame is that you can see a eurosnob like factor over here now. People in towns like that watch Man U and Liverpool on sky tv rather than follow there local teams.

crowd was mostly old dudes who have probably been sitting on same seat for 40 odd years. When thy get to old to go, I don't see enough people coming thru to take their places.

There was a couple of families with kids in bury kids but you'd want to see more.

As for the game two teams struggling in league one. Game was fast and physical and direct. A League teams definitely try and play ball on the ground more than what I seen in game yesterday.

Im guessing A League would be around lower championship / top of league one level. I'd think that our foreign signings would take us a level above Bury v Plymouth.

atmosphere wise Plymouth fans in away made an effort. There was small pocket a hundred or so bury fans gathered together standing in one area.. 

couldnt help thinking that RBB in that little tin roofed stadium would sound awesome 

man of the match young kid number 21 came on with about 20 to go and set the game alight, really good winger.

I loved it

Had many post game drinks in the pubs of Bury and the St Helens 

It was about as Northern as it gets.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

He'll do OK for you in the Championship next season :xnod:

We don’t do relegation, it’s just not an Everton thing

That said I haven’t been this worried about it since Gareth Farrally scored on the last day of the season.

we look shockingly bad at the moment 

Koeman has pissed over a 100 million pounds up the wall on one paced midfielders we didn’t need while not getting a striker or dealing with our backline getting older

• 3 weeks later...

So quiet a tasty game coming up in the Championship this Sunday when Leeds will host the Boro.

I think since the introduction of the EPL people cannot remember how big a game Leeds United v Boro was probably until the early 1980's, before my time I admit.

In the 70's games between these two Yorkshire clubs would easily attract attendances of over 40,000 at both venues, lock outs were the normal. Lots of links between the two back then that made it all a bit more tasty than usual. On Leeds side you had Don Revie and Clough who were both from Middlesbrough, on Boro's side you had the manager Jackie Charlton who was a Leeds legend of course. Add to that two sets of fans that never back away and at a time both clubs were on the up, although Leeds much more of course. All this resulted in some epic clashes throughout the 1970's, some very physical indeed on and off the pitch!

Then in to the 1980's things change somewhat on and off the pitch. On a political level they messed around with the county borders and all of a sudden Middlesbrough after 1000 odd years were booted out of Yorkshire and were told to look north towards Sunderland / Newcastle to build a bigger North East, Boro became 'Yorkshire rejects' in the eyes of other Yorkshire clubs fans, still a taunt now by Leeds fans even though Middlesbrough is now firmly back on North Yorkshire.

On the pitch in the 1980's Boro went in to major decline and Leeds / Boro were often in separate  divisions, Boro near went out of business in 1986 after going through liquidation and Leeds had their own issues. Attendances dropped below 10k at Boro, but Leeds were on the rise through Howard Wilkinson of course, but by then the link between Leeds and Middlesbrough had become broken and Leeds v Boro games no longer had the excitement and passion of old.

Now perhaps with Monk defecting from Leeds to Middlesbrough and with them both challenging near the top I sense a return of the old fierce rivalry between the two Yorkshire clubs, will be a very interesting game and I would take a point right now.

Edited by WSWBoro

Great summary boro. I will admit to having a bit of a soft spot for boro despite the rivalry although i never saw it first hand becasuse when i was over there the teams were in different divisions. Viduka playing for them definitely helped i guess. Boro are a proper club.

However, i would also like to say - **** garry monk.

Leeds were nailed on to win yesterday...all pointed that way for me and would have gladly taken a point.

Looked likw two poor teams to me first half which is a bit concering...

Anyway in less than 3 weeks i will be at Millwall, then at Sheff Wed the following week. Just looking forward to getting in amongst it all again, but not hopeful of good results.

Edited by WSWBoro

Can I put my application for thread membership on hold? Just the mere presence of big Sam in the stadium has turned it around. How could I ever doubt my brave boys in blue. Rooney can still hit them can’t he? 

*back soon though I’m guessing 

13 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Can I put my application for thread membership on hold? Just the mere presence of big Sam in the stadium has turned it around. How could I ever doubt my brave boys in blue. Rooney can still hit them can’t he? 

*back soon though I’m guessing 

I'm pretty certain there will be 3 clubs worse than your mob at the end of the season.

ugghhhhhh, Middlesbrough at the moment are reminiscent of the Gordon Strachan era, he came in and built a new squad, it never gelled and it just about sucked any life left out of the club. Too many changes I think and I just don't think it is going to happen this season.

Anyway, a week on Saturday I will be shouting my ******* lungs out at Millwall followed by a trip to Sheffield Wednesday, Heading to Preston NE on New Years day. What ever the result I can't wait to get wrapped up warm and have a few pre match warm and flat beers and some banter.

3 hours ago, WSWBoro said:

ugghhhhhh, Middlesbrough at the moment are reminiscent of the Gordon Strachan era, he came in and built a new squad, it never gelled and it just about sucked any life left out of the club. Too many changes I think and I just don't think it is going to happen this season.

Anyway, a week on Saturday I will be shouting my ******* lungs out at Millwall followed by a trip to Sheffield Wednesday, Heading to Preston NE on New Years day. What ever the result I can't wait to get wrapped up warm and have a few pre match warm and flat beers and some banter.

Enjoy do you get to a home match at all? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...