English Championship & Football League Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know why the Newcastle vs Wednesday game isn't on BEIN 2 now when it should be. It says so in the guide.

Bein have been a bit retarded.

Last night after the midnight fireworks I randomly checked Bein and the Old Firm derby was on, Live. I had checked the program yesterday and there apparently weren't any live matches.

Can't trust their programming since they did a big update

• 2 weeks later...

Given the failure of the takeover I can see Forest going down this season.....

Desperate times in the city of Nottingham it would seem.....

Over coffee this morning I was doing my flick through of the football division tables and get to league 2 and there in the bottom 2 at risk of droping out of the football league is Notts County, a club who in the early 90's was Boro main rival for promotion to the top division....... I don't really know what has been happening at County but takeovers and manager changes I think.

If County drop out of the league and Forest go down as well that would be quite sad.

Also quite sad is the demise of my second team York City (my son was born in York hospital right next door to the ground, they were at home to Kidderminster the day my son was born, I know that because I nipped next door to the game whilst waiting for the wife to get on with it). Anyway, they sit bottom of the Conference ffs.... :nono:  

Edited by WSWBoro
  • 1 month later...

**** its great to see a packed elland road rocking again.

Leeds are going up, going up, Leeds are going up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was like this this time last year <sigh>  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Heading back here guys, I will take Lloydys seat  :sorry:  :angrycovic:

• 1 month later...

Well approaching the end now, just one round of games in the football league left and 4 or 5 in the EPL I think so time for a Sunday morning round up over a coffee, what a disaster it has been for North East teams at all levels, even with Newcastle's promotion back to the EPL..... 

Championship 

At the top

Brighton and Newcastle both up (congrats Hillangull and Wanderboy), champion to be decided on the final day with Brighton at Villa and the Geordies at home to Barnsley, likely that they will both win leaving Brighton to take out the trophy, they messed it up yesterday mind.

For the play offs, a West Yorkshire v South Yorkshire battle looms between Wednesday and Huddersfield. Weds have the harder final game against fellow play rivals Fulham, Huddersfield have Cardiff and Reading go to Burton who are already safe, Huddersfield could switch places with Wednesday but would expect any other changes.

Leeds just miss out, but much better season from them, Norwich fail to bounce back, Villa adrift in mid table.

Down the bottom

This is where the real tension on the final day will be! Notts Forest, Blackburn and Birmingham and locked in a final day battle to avoid the drop, all big clubs.

• Birmingham sit 20th on 50 pts with a -20 GD and a final game away to Bristol City, who have nothing to play for
  • Notts Forest sit 21st on 48pts with a -13 GD and a final game at home to mid table Ipswich
  • Blackburn Rovers sit 22nd with a -14 GD and a final game away to Brentford who are upper half of the table

So all 3 play sides with nothing to play for, I fancy Forest to get what they need at home. I fancy Birmingham to get what they need, Brentford is a hard place to go, I have been to that ground and it is a tight to the pitch old fashioned ground and they are a decent team, I tip Blackburn to go down, but anything can happen final day.

Wigan and Rottherham have a dreadful season and have been down a few weeks. A mention for Burton Albion because for a club like that to survive at this level is a massive achievement 19th place and safe going in to the final round is a success for them.

League 1

At the top

Sheffield United are already promoted back to the Championship.  Bolton Wanderers sit 2nd and will gain auto promotion with at least a point at home to Peterborough next weekend, could be a a difficult off season for Bolton though as they face a winding up order in the courts.

Perhaps the big story out of this division is little Fleetwood Town battling for promotion to the Championship! They currently sit 3rd on 81 points a couple behind Bolton, but their GD is 8 down on Bolton's. You would have to thin Bolton will get the job done, Fleetwood are at home on the final day to Port Vale who have everything to play for as they need a result to stay up.

In the play offs, S****horpe, Bradford and Millwall have all been in the top 6 all season, Southend or Rochdale could still sneak in at the expense of Millwall. Rochdale have a hard home game against Bradford, Southend at home to Bury who could still go down, Millwall are away to Bristol Rovers who have nothing to play for, Millwall should get the job done.

Good to see MK Shitty Dons fail again, hopefully they will go one better next season and go down. AFC Wimbledon have had a solid enough season, something to build on. Charlton sit mid table and not much sign of life, could be a long stay in this division for them.

Down the bottom

A similar situation to the Championship in that 1 or 3 face the drop on the final day.

• Bury sit 19th on 50 points with a -11 GD, they face an away trip to play off chasing Southend
  • Gillingham sit 20th on 49 points with a -20 GD, they face a winnable away trip to Northampton who have nothing to play for
  • Port Vale sit 21st on 48 points with a -25 GD, they face the hardest task of the 3 with an away trip to high flying Fleetwood Town

You would have to think Vale are doomed to the drop.

A couple of bigger lower tier sides have dropped down to league 2 in Swindon Town and Coventry, what a disaster of a few season for Coventry! Chesterfield more used to bouncing between these two divisions. Chesterfield could still finish above Coventry on the final day.

League 2 

At the top the automatic promotion places have already been filled but the title far from decided. Plymouth Argyle will go up as champions if they win, but have a long trek to Grimsby Town to contend with, Doncaster sit second and could leap Plymouth with a win away to Harlepool United, more on this game later! Portsmouth make up the other automatically promoted team and they could also win the title with a win at home to Cheltenham and the other two results going their way, unlikely perhaps but you never know. Portsmouth do have the best GD of the top 3 so a win for them and say a draw for Plymouth would see them leap at least one of three.

Luton Town and Exeter have already booked their play off places, the final 2 places are wide open!

• Carlisle sit 6th on 68 points with a 0 GD, they face the second longest away journey in the UK as they have to go down to Exeter for their final game!
  • Blackpool sit 7th on 67 points with a +21 GD, they face an already relegated Leyton Orient at home, expect demonstrations from the away fans.
  • Stevenage sit 8th on 67 points with a +7 GD, they face Accrington Stanley at home who have nothing to play for
  • Cambridge United sit 9th on 66 points with a + 9 GD, they face a trip to Wycombe Wanderers, more of them in a moment....
  • Colchester United sit 10th on 66 points with a +8 GD, what should be a home banker for them at home to Yeovil Town
  • Wycombe Wanderers sit 11th on 66 points with a +4 GD, they are at home to Cambridge United, difficult one for both sides
  • Mansfield Town sit 12th on 65 points with a +4 GD, they are away to an already safe Crawley Town

Take your pick, **** knows what will happen from this lot, Blackpool perhaps have the easiest task on paper, Carlisle would be favorites from their startinf spot but for the trip they face....so who knows.

Down at the bottom is where I am really disappointed to see Harlepool United sit in a relegation spot going in to the final round, 96 years of continuous football league history, where Brian Clough started his managerial career, They haven't done much in those 96 years, but they have been a solid lower division side. I used to go and watch them play sometimes when Boro were away from home. Hartlepool face a difficult home game to Doncaster who as I mentioned earlier are in the running for the title. The other side in contention for the drop are Newport County who have a home game against mid table Notts County. I fear the worst, Hartlepool V Doncaster will be the game I am following next weekend......it would be a disaster for Pools to drop out of the football league.

Leyton Orient have already been relegated and are in a club in turmoil, not expecting a quick return from them.

National League 

This division finished with the round of games last night.

Lincoln City have romped home to win the title on 99 points, you feel they would have easily broken the 100 point mark but for their FA Cup run which interrupted their season. The gap between them and second places Tranmere should be bigger than it is as Lincoln have been far and away the best side.

In the play off spots are Tranmere Rovers, Forest Green Rovers, Dagenham and Redbridge, and Aldershot Town, all former league clubs with the exception of Forest Green.

Down at the bottom is pretty upsetting for me. York City who not so long ago were league 1 have been relegated on goal difference to the 6th tier, disaster. York City are a club close to my heart as I lived there for a good few years and my son was born next to the ground. York City being in the 6th tier of English football just isn't right. But off field issues have been a distraction and they have themselves to blame to a degree. Braintree, Southport and North Ferriby United follow them down.

6th tier

I am going this far down the tables (the old conference north and south) for a reason here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39719126

Even though Darlington will finish in a play off place they will not be allowed to contend it because of shitty ground regulations, disaster for them as they have been steadily working their way back through the divisions.

******* disaster for North East clubs really Sunderland and Boro going down, Newcastle raided on tax evasion, Hartlepool facing the prospect of dropping out of the league, York City being relegated to the 6th tier and Darlngton being told to forget it, sad times for that region.

Exciting final day of football league action though....

Southend for the playoffs maybe..

"All the people.. so many people .. they all say who's that team in blue...

Southend.."

To the tune of park life by famous mockney band blur

Im bringing out my Southend United 1999-2000 shirt to celebrate

I didn't realise that York was considered a 'North East' club. They will be in good company next season alongside former league clubs Stockport, Darlington, Bradford PA, Southport and possibly Halifax.

York are part of the 'North Riding Senior Cup' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Riding_Senior_Cup which all teams across the North Riding of Yorkshire play from quite low down in the tier structure right up to Boro reserves who submit a team to it, been played since the late 1800's, therefore York regularly play the Boro, well York play the Boro reserves anyway. Also Boro play York every pre season.

The riff raff from West, East and South Yorkshire are not involved in that comp so always seen York as part of Boro's area. Boro cross over really between Yorkshire to the south and County Durham to the north.

Edited by WSWBoro