Wanderers NPL 2016

Derby for Cameron Devlin as Western Sydney Wanderers face St George in NSW NPL2

By Andrew Parkinson
March 29, 2016, 5:30 a.m.
When the Western Sydney Wanderers host St George FC in the NSW NPL 2 competition on Saturday night it could hardly be described as a local derby.
r317_20_4259_2918_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

First meeting: Jannali footballer Cameron Devlin (left) will line up for Western Sydney Wanderers against Tarik Ercan (right) and St George FC at Blacktown Football Park on Saturday night. Picture: Chris Lane

But it’s a bit different for Wanderers midfielder Cameron Devlin.

The 17-year-old has been part of Western Sydney’s academy officially since last year and played for the Wanderers in the National Youth League competition.

And Devlin, a Sutherland Sharks product, is keen for his first taste of a derby – even if his teammates won’t share his view.

“We played [st George] in pre-season and it was a good game,†he said.

“It’ll be a good challenge, they’re a good team.

“For me it’s a bit of a local derby I guess which is a bit different.â€

It is the first time A-League clubs Western Sydney and Sydney FC have entered teams in the second tier of the NSW National Premier Leagues competition.

The bulk of the Wanderers squad is the same as their NYL team made up of players aged 16 to 20 playing against men for the first time.

Western Sydney have begun the season brightly and sat on top of the table before their loss to Bankstown City last weekend.

Devlin, a pint-sized midfielder who has already represented Australia at under-20s level, said he had relished the challenge of playing against men.

“Obviously with the good results it helps the team spirit week by week,†he said.

“Because we’re a very young team it is [a challenge physically].

“But we’ve worked hard and I’ve noticed when we go out there we’re fitter than other teams.â€

Wanderers coach Trevor Morgan is in a good position to judge Devlin’s progress having coached with the club since 2012 and spent 26 years in and around youth football.

r61_0_4229_3072_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Young Socceroo: Jannali footballer Cameron Devlin. Picture: Jane Dyson

But Morgan isn’t just an admirer of Devlin’s playing ability.

“When you’re coaching he’s one that looks you clear in the eyes all the time,†he said.

“He trains with a good intensity, he’s a good listener and his professionalism inside and outside football is excellent.

“He’s giving himself every chance, he’s got no obvious weaknesses.

“He’s definitely the total package and there’s no reason why he can’t make it to the highest level if he continues to work hard.â€

Devlin made his international debut for the Young Socceroos against Laos in Australia’s AFC under-19s championship qualifier last October.

The Jannali footballer is keen to remain part of the under-20s squad for the championships in Bahrain in October.

• 2 weeks later...

Support the Wanderers in NPL on Sunday

npl-st-george-brenton-fox_1hwz77q7qxsdo1

Thursday, 14 April 2016 -

While the Hyundai A-League team gets a week’s break, you can still get your Wanderers fix when the NPL team takes on Bankstown Berries.
The high-flying Wanderers – only two points off first place – are hosting the 11th-placed Berries at Popondetta Park on Sunday 17 April with first grade kicking-off at 7pm.

Having suffered a 93rd minute equaliser last week the Wanderers will be looking to get back to winning ways and make ground on the promotion-deciding club championship.

The Red & Black are in second place, slightly behind Sydney FC. 20s kick-off at 5pm with 18s underway at 3pm.

Members get free entry.
  • 4 weeks later...

Promotion Push in NPL Takes Centre Stage

Friday, 6 May 2016

-

With the Hyundai A-League season complete, focus now turns to the Western Sydney Wanderers competing in Football NSW’s NPL2 competition.
This is the first season that the Wanderers have entered a team into Football NSW competition with Sydney FC and Central Coast Mariners also competing in the second-tier of New South Wales.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/92/e7/mario-shabow_hx6cgx1muio71pswtv8iexfgq.jpg?t=-1308627941

mario-shabow_hx6cgx1muio71pswtv8iexfgq.j

Only one team gets promoted per season with the club on top of the Club Championship at the end of the year earning the right to play in NPL1. As it stands, Sydney FC are on top of the Club Championship, slightly ahead of the Wanderers.

The club championship is made up of points gained in First Grade, U20s and U18s with First Grade worth most points, 20s worth less and 18s worth less again.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/db/2/josh-macdonald-npl-bankstown-berries-lachlan-scott-celebration_1s1xtcos3ely5194skftaygezg.jpg?t=650127700

josh-macdonald-npl-bankstown-berries-lac

Wanderers currently lead the U18s competition ahead of Mariners and Sydney FC and sit in second place in both 20s and First Grade, trailing Sydney FC by one point and two points respectively.

The first NPL Sydney Derby will be Saturday 28 May at Lambert Park with First Grade kicking-off at 7:45pm.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/47/1b/liam-youlley-jackson-bandiera-keany-baccus-npl-bankstown_nbk6k7mg9zyg1kcweczp2rftd.jpg?t=-1084581461

liam-youlley-jackson-bandiera-keany-bacc

This Sunday though sees the Wanderers travel to Northbridge Oval to take on the mid-table North Shore Mariners at 3pm.

After a shaky start to the season, North Shore (formerly called Northbridge) has regrouped and remains undefeated in their past five matches.

North Shore Mariners v Western Sydney Wanderers
Sunday 8 May, Northbridge Oval
First Grade: 3pm
U20: 1pm
U18: 11am

Next home game
Western Sydney Wanderers v Marconi Stallions
Sunday 15 May, Popondetta Park
First grade: 7pm
U20: 5pm
U18: 3pm

Read more at http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/promotion-push-in-npl-takes-centre-stage/1csbx410qli5czmkz3u1so5i5#jWa6VglgTMhhasER.99

Club has chosen their words carefully, when drafting this press release.

Wanderers promote academy duo to first team

Wednesday, 11 May 2016

The Western Sydney Wanderers have today signed Lachlan Scott and Mario Shabow to one-year Hyundai A-League contracts.
Forward Scott and midfielder Shabow become the first players from the newly-established Wanderers Academy to earn deals with the first team.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/92/e7/mario-shabow_hx6cgx1muio71pswtv8iexfgq.jpg?t=-1308627941

mario-shabow_hx6cgx1muio71pswtv8iexfgq.j

Fans have already seen a glimpse of Shabow when the teenager made a brief cameo in a win against Central Coast Mariners, highlighted by an impressive spin as a late substitute in the 2-0 victory.

The contract is a dream come true for Shabow who has become the first player to make the transition from the Red & Black Bloc to the Wanderers first team: the 18-year-old being a regular on the terraces since attending the Club’s first ever game against Nepean FC in 2012.

“I’m a very passionate fan of the Wanderers: playing for the team I support just makes me more passionate and makes me want it more. Not a lot of players can say they play for the team they support so it’s a great feeling signing my first senior contract here,†said Shabow.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/b2/94/mario-shabow-ffa-coe_1n0l5kyu2f0gv1mz5p9qib4c0x.jpg?t=1990361585

mario-shabow-ffa-coe_1n0l5kyu2f0gv1mz5p9

“I still remember the first pre-season game in 2012 and the first few moments when I fell in love with the club and the crest and now being on the other side makes me look back and wonder how it came so quick. I can’t wait to put that jersey on again.

“The time I’ve spent with the Wanderers so far has been the best in my life, I feel very strong, the fittest I’ve been and hopefully I can continue improving.â€

Scott too is a name familiar with a number of Wanderers fans with the recently announced Foxtel NYL Player of the Season catching the eye with a number of impressive goal scoring efforts.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/f4/c0/lachlan-scott_be0asc519zei17onm30iusz1x.jpg?t=-1285710223

lachlan-scott_be0asc519zei17onm30iusz1x.

Having scored 15 goals in 18 appearances for the Wanderers this season in all competitions, the 19-year-old really turned heads when he came off the bench to score five goals against defending champions, Spirit FC, in the Red & Black’s historic first ever NPL match.

“I’m really happy to have signed a professional contract with the Wanderers and I’m looking forward to a year of hard work to keep improving. Popa is such a hard coach but so rewarding: he pushes you so you keep improving,†said Scott.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/37/cb/lachlan-scott-mt-druitt_1qa41tt5zpvxh1sn4t1flyvy7w.jpg?t=-1343405134

lachlan-scott-mt-druitt_1qa41tt5zpvxh1sn

“Training with the first team is at such a high intensity but a lot of the boys have helped me: blokes like Bridgey, Santa and Dimas have kept me motivated and I’m enjoying training with such quality players.

“I’m a striker, scoring goals is my job and working hard so I can score for the Hyundai A-League team is what I have to do.â€

Mario Shabow
18-year-old midfielder
Hyundai A-League appearances: 1
Foxtel NYL appearances: 6 (3 goals)
PS4 NPL2 appearances: 10 (5 goals)

Lachlan Scott
19-year-old forward
Foxtel NYL appearances: 8 (4 goals)
PS4 NPL2 appearances: 10 (12 goals)

Got no match day thread to post in, so I'll just leave it here 

Wanderers take on Marconi this Sunday

lachlan-scott-npl-bankstown_1nswix4ov5if

1/1 NPL now takes centre stage with the conclusion of the Hyundai A-League

Friday, 13 May 2016

The Western Sydney Wanderers face one of their biggest tests in the PS4 NPL2 this season when they take on Marconi Stallions this Sunday at Popondetta Park.
Sitting in fourth place and undefeated since Round 4 with four wins and two draws, Marconi Stallions will feel confident as they take on the second-placed Wanderers at 7pm.

While the Red & Black defeated Marconi 8-0 in pre-season, that result was skewed with a first half line-up consisting largely of Hyundai A-League players who were competing to maintain match fitness.

Sunday’s match will be a much closer affair with no indication which team will have the advantage going into the game.

Freshly signed to a first team contract, Lachlan Scott will be on Marconi’s radar as the man to watch as the centre forward has an impressive 12 goals in ten matches in the NPL so far.

Marconi’s big signings and former Hyundai A-League players Sean Rooney and Mirjan Pavlovic are in form and they will look to add Wanderers to the impressive scalps they’ve already taken this year including Central Coast Mariners and Mounties Wanderers.

Kick-off is 7pm this Sunday at Popondetta Park, Emerton. 20s are at 5pm with 18s at 3pm.

Anyone planning to attend the NPL2 Derby at Lambert Park next Saturday, should keep an eye on this thread for updates regarding a 'possible' change of venue, kick off times & conditions of entry?

I hope they change it somewhere better than that place, so hard to get to and from

Not a bad guess just revise the day of week.

Game will be proceeding at Lambert Park

2pm Sunday then? Why?

Is this the same outdated ridiculous thing that I've seen them pull off in England, early kick off meaning that spectators don't have enough to drink & cause trouble. Idiots!

Helps that I couldn't make the Saturday night but I don't think I can make the Sunday 2pm either though :nono:

Flares are less effective in daylight hours.

Their probably hoping peeps won't try & burn more holes in the synthetic pitch.

Btw game is not being played on Tuesday, nor Sunday.