NRL/Rugby Thread 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2017 at 9:29 PM, Valter43 said:

Do we really need this and the AFL thread... 

Do we need an AFL thread at all? No replies in over a month.

That said, NRL has 3...

I'll add one: Gots a freebie to Origin. Friend works at Ticketek. Keep 'em comin I say. Don't know how they can claim it's sold out when she said that her whole office got 4 tickets each...

This is not a post hacking on Mitchell Pearce just because we lost. Halfway through the second half I said "we'll win but we're carrying this bloke".

Woeful kicking game. Can't control a team. Last night was his chance to lead the team home, with a 10 point buffer. Failed.

For the entire second half we looked like we just wanted to defend to the win, then with 8 minutes to go he gets this idea we need to be more adventurous, goes scampering around sideways on his own 40 metre line, throws a horrible ball to a centre who was marked and flat-footed because the play was going nowhere, it's dropped, and we're under pressure for the rest of the game.

8 minutes! If you hit it up for 5 and kick to the corner then they have to go 100 metres and they're only going to get about 4 chances to do it!

Everyone talks about how great this Qld team is, but gee, we've gifted them some wins over the years through sheer stupidity. Rugby League is not a hard game tactically and NSW just keep continuing to find ways to make mental errors. This is the same guy who didn't attempt a field goal a few years back when the scores were tied! 

The last time we won a series Hodkinson and Reynolds were our halves. Says something. Hodkinson might not have been exciting, but he was so much more astute tactically than Pearce is.

Saints won yesterday with an epic comeback

Pre- WSW I'd be like...

giphy.gif

Post WSW I be like..

giphy.gif

Current day league, even with Saints having a decent season is pretty much the second gif full stop. Not bashing the sport per se, more just unexcited by a sport that lacks a lot of what made it great particularly in the 70s & 80s (e.g. tribalism and violence lol).

• 2 weeks later...

Well this post was going to go in the bashing thread but then I realised it is more a sad post from someone that used to really like the NRL.

Last night I got a freebie to the Roosters v Souths game at the SFS. As I am a recent returnee to the Inner West Wanderers group (non-hipster edition), I figured it was a free night and I'd have a few drinks with friends (full strength VB by the way). What a horrible event.

This is supposed to be the biggest rivalry for both teams, and there was 16k there, and it felt like a lot less. Absolutely dead. 

I thought the in-house Oporto would be a saving grace but there were no meal deals, so I spent $15 on a cold burger and stale, burnt fries.

The quality of the game was shocking. Souths are horrible and Roosters had their Origin players out. They do the same boring thing each time they are a chance to score, and coming out from their own end they basically hope for a penalty.

The refereeing was even worse. Honestly, there are two refs and they miss the most blatant things. Lost balls adjudicated as stripped balls and vice versa, obvious shepherds which they don't call back unless there is a try, players running others off the ball when trying to get to high kicks. Worst of all, unlike football where the ref only has to call fouls, the entire game is controlled by the whims of how the referees adjudicate the play-the-ball and they didn't do that consistently!

Then at the end the Roosters fans started chanting for the last 30 seconds when they knew they had won, and then it sounded like 16k people!

A sad example of where Rugby League is at.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:12 PM, btron3000 said:

Well this post was going to go in the bashing thread but then I realised it is more a sad post from someone that used to really like the NRL.

Last night I got a freebie to the Roosters v Souths game at the SFS. As I am a recent returnee to the Inner West Wanderers group (non-hipster edition), I figured it was a free night and I'd have a few drinks with friends (full strength VB by the way). What a horrible event.

This is supposed to be the biggest rivalry for both teams, and there was 16k there, and it felt like a lot less. Absolutely dead. 

I thought the in-house Oporto would be a saving grace but there were no meal deals, so I spent $15 on a cold burger and stale, burnt fries.

The quality of the game was shocking. Souths are horrible and Roosters had their Origin players out. They do the same boring thing each time they are a chance to score, and coming out from their own end they basically hope for a penalty.

The refereeing was even worse. Honestly, there are two refs and they miss the most blatant things. Lost balls adjudicated as stripped balls and vice versa, obvious shepherds which they don't call back unless there is a try, players running others off the ball when trying to get to high kicks. Worst of all, unlike football where the ref only has to call fouls, the entire game is controlled by the whims of how the referees adjudicate the play-the-ball and they didn't do that consistently!

Then at the end the Roosters fans started chanting for the last 30 seconds when they knew they had won, and then it sounded like 16k people!

A sad example of where Rugby League is at.

I couldn't agree more. The game is boring.

I was (and still am) an Eels fan. Spent all my life following them, including interstate road trips on a regular basis. Season ticket holder for over a decade as well when the old Parra Stadium opened in '86. Still never miss a match on tv.

However, since the inception of the Wanderers, I think I've been to two Eels games. That's two games in 5 years.

The game day experience is just so ******* boring, and the game itself is now so predictable, and as you say, so dependent on the whims of referees, who are horribly inconsistent with their decisions. 

I also hate the way Melbourne Storm introduced tactics that have forced rule changes and hence, the game has become so robotic.

As I said, boring.

Edited by Wanderboy

The traditions the NRL were built on have been killed off and all that remains is gimmicks. The home and away concept is all but dead in NSW and I'm convinced that if they could, they'd quite happily play every game from ANZ each week. I never thought I'd see the day the roosters would move games away from the east and now even that's in the works. 

I went to the footy a couple of Sunday's ago with mates and it was boring as bat ****. The crap they carried on with prior to the game was sickeningly corny it was like a bad game show. You watch on tv and all you see is betting ad after betting ad. 

There's no substance to it anymore, it's just crap. It's the way all sports going in this country to be honest. I wouldn't even say it's the American model obsession that's to blame cause we are worse than them. Its embarrassing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 2:15 PM, ManfredSchaefer said:

Saints won yesterday with an epic comeback

Pre- WSW I'd be like...

Post WSW I be like..

10 replies in this thread, 3 of them about the the thread itself, not the sport. This thread used to get a bit of action. Think it shows that many here amongst the WSF crew who used to really follow the sport have slowly grown apart from it as WSW has become more a part of our lives.

Still, beating the AFL thread which has NO replies. LOL

On 7/9/2017 at 3:31 PM, Wanderboy said:

I couldn't agree more. The game is boring.

I was (and still am) an Eels fan. Spent all my life following them, including interstate road trips on a regular basis. Season ticket holder for over a decade as well when the old Parra Stadium opened in '86. Still never miss a match on tv.

However, since the inception of the Wanderers, I think I've been to two Eels games. That's two games in 5 years.

The game day experience is just so ******* boring, and the game itself is now so predictable, and as you say, so dependent on the whims of referees, who are horribly inconsistent with their decisions. 

I also hate the way Melbourne Storm introduced tactics that have forced rule changes and hence, the game has become so robotic.

As I said, boring.

Not been to an Eels game this season yet, never a member but always went down to Parra stadium for a good number of games. Watch most games on TV but can't be arsed going along.....they made hard work of the Tigers at the weekend anyway and will do **** all in the finals if they make it.

Edited by WSWBoro
1 hour ago, pseudonym said:

South Sydney and GWS members will get reciprocal free General Admission to their respective games on Saturday with their member cards

Makes sense majority of GWS members are Redfern hipsters 

• 3 weeks later...

I became an Eels fan in 2001 watching THAT disastrous grand final from the student union bar at the Uni of Teesside, it was actually the week I got my final results so was a pretty good time.

I would arrive in Australia for the first time within a few months from that. I sat and watched that finals game and always one to back the underdog willed Parra to get back in to it against a rampant Knights side, there was a short period in the second half where it looked like Parra might just get back in to it, but was not to be...

But from that moment on I knew that any side that could throw away a final in such fashion was the team for me, the Middlesbrough of the rugby world, and they certainly haven't let me down on that front over the years lol

The first half on Friday night was like a ******* flash back to September 2001 lol At least you guys probably lived through the Parra golden era of the 80's.

Edited by WSWBoro

Was a kid, very vague memories. I loved Brett Kenny for example, and the likes of Ella/Grothe, but couldn't really tell you how good Sterlo was because I didn't really understand how he was controlling the game. So the more subtle skills in players like Cronin, and even the efforts of Price etc, probably went under-appreciated. Luckily there was enough ridiculously exciting skill in that team for a kid to love!

Unfortunately for my adult life the memories are the chokes and/or glorious defeats!

When we first came to Australia as a kid in the 80s, I had to pick a team. I had no idea what rugby league was. In my school in England you followed Liverpool or Everton in football and that was it. I remember for PE once we did rugby league, there was only one kid who had any idea what it was (his family follows Wigan RL) 

Anyhow at school here (hills for a short while) kids mainly followed  Parra (who had stero, Kenny etc) the odd kid followed Wests. 

Rest of family went for parra.

I watched  a game on TV. Wests got thumped about 52-2 by Canterbury, so I begged mum for a wests jersey the next day , I've always liked the underdog. Besides the old black jersey with white v looked better.

Lost interest when they were forced into the Tigers merger, just couldn't get my head around supporting Tigers (Balmain)

If any one asks now I'd say I follow Penrith , but at best I might look at the results once in a while 

on subject of sterlo he was great back then, not sure how he'd go now. Game has changed completely 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...