Local Current Affairs Thread

wendybr

31 minutes ago, Wobblies said:

Ugly Australia and it's shameful behaviour of women. And some thickheads still just don't get it.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/i-see-no-sign-that-ugly-australia-has-learnt-from-its-treatment-of-gillard-20210916-p58s4s.html

Former PM Rudd refused to respond to claims that he referred to his Labor leadership rival Julia Gillard in obscenity filled background calls. The words were not very nice , allegedly.

Surely not from a Labor guy , only the Libs do that.

4 minutes ago, marron said:

Treatment of Husar was also disgraceful and has been dealt with poorly.

Still on the "if one side does it it's fine if the other does" playground bullshit?

I guess then you would think it's fine for a Labor polly to have raped someone. 

It's not playground bullshit. Just pointing out the hypocrites. As to the treatment of women , you must live on a Deliverance type mountain if you contend all women are treated that way. 

The sum of all your "arguments" - and I mean on all issues - is "someone else did it/is worse, so this doesn't matter". Labor did it too. The Taliban are worse. China are worse. 

Porter (alledgedly but we will never know because he backed away from releasing evidence) raped someone - your first instinct is "Kevin Rudd said obscene things about Gillard". 

Was Rudd's behaviour okay, no, but that has got **** all to do with whether Porter should be in parliament. 

Is the Taliban ok? No, but that has **** all to do with the treatment of women in Australia and whether it can be better. 

With your playground bullshit you make it clear how important it is to you though. 

14 minutes ago, marron said:

The sum of all your "arguments" - and I mean on all issues - is "someone else did it/is worse, so this doesn't matter". Labor did it too. The Taliban are worse. China are worse. 

Porter (alledgedly but we will never know because he backed away from releasing evidence) raped someone - your first instinct is "Kevin Rudd said obscene things about Gillard". 

Was Rudd's behaviour okay, no, but that has got **** all to do with whether Porter should be in parliament. 

Is the Taliban ok? No, but that has **** all to do with the treatment of women in Australia and whether it can be better. 

With your playground bullshit you make it clear how important it is to you though. 

The Taliban is putting women back in the box - which is said to be the traditional Muslim men's dream. But on close inspection, us Westerners don't seem to be that far ahead. The stifling grip of fundamentalist Christianity has only been loosening in my life time (in the late 1950ies - the Catholic parish priest didn't want my mother to marry my protestant father, and sabotaged the wedding ceremony. The generation of my German grandparents might have been quite familiar with Taliban rules.

I am currently reading about the "sack of Magdeburg" (1631) during the 30 year war. The town was wiped out, two thirds of the population killed, the women were mass raped, tortured, mutilated, and eventually murdered. It is noteworthy that the victims were Protestant, and the victors were Catholic.  Christian values, ey?

One could say "wait, that was a long time ago, it's not like that any longer. Hmmm. The Muslim women who were subjected to systemic **** by their Christian captors in the Bosnian wars no doubt would disagree. That happened in the early 90ies. Christian values, ey?

One could argue that the Taliban ain't that bad, in comparison. But how dare I say that? Aussie are much better than that! And what has that got to do with the price of fish anyway?

But are they?

There is this romantic notion out there of the "true blue" Aussies, with the real Aussies living off the land, in regional Australia. Where the world is still okay.

Yet there is this disturbing figure: in 2021 women in regional NSW are 24 times more likely to end up in hospital because their male partners being violent towards them than their urbanized counterparts. We may want to think about that. We also may want to reflect on 1 in 3 women in Australia being sexually abused in their life time.

We also may want to reflect on this: in 2018, Barnaby Joyce was accused of sexual misconduct. Three years later he is once again the leader of the National Party, and the deputy prime minister. In 2018, Emma Husar was also accused of sexual misconduct. Her story was very different - she had to leave town, lives in Perth, and as of November 2020 had not worked since she left parliament.

Christian values?

Porter was and still is a perfect opportunity for a cleansing conversation. Or not. After all, it's not half bad here for women in Australia - from a male's perspective, with limited visibility with your head is up your ass.

2 hours ago, marron said:

Come on guys , time to face the truth. This is all just politically motivated stuff stemming from hatred for the current government than from anything else.

Australia is the safest country in the world for women , according to data from consultancy New World Wealth which was released in it's 2019 Global Wealth Migration Review.

Never said things are perfect in Australia , but we live in an imperfect world and always will.

In Australia on average, one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner.

1 in 3 Australian women (30.5%) has experienced physical violence since the age of 15.

Yep we're doing very well in our treatment of women, let's celebrate. But anyway let's look somewhere else. Where, you may ask? I know Afghanistan.

5 minutes ago, Wobblies said:

In Australia on average, one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner.

1 in 3 Australian women (30.5%) has experienced physical violence since the age of 15.

Yep we're doing very well in our treatment of women, let's celebrate. But anyway let's look somewhere else. Where, you may ask? I know Afghanistan.

What are you gonna do about ?

8 minutes ago, theseeker said:

I'll ask you too smartarse - what's your suggestion to fix it , because it's beyond me , police , lawmakers and anybody else. Go ahead give us suggestions , I'm waiting.

For starters you have to E.D.U.C.A.T.E  men that it isn't OK. I have four sisters who would be more than happy to step up and give a guiding hand or a lecture. Especially since one of them was sexually harassed on a train on her way home from work by an idiot male.

Edited by sonar

The Gov could start by implementing all the recommendations from the Respect at Work report that they promised they would do (they enacted 6/55 recommended).

In schools they could include consent education as part of sexual health education.

They could make it more viable for victims of sexual assault to press charges and follow it through the court system.

They could seriously address the domestic violence crisis in this country through adequate funding and legislation.

They could try to alleviate the gender pay gap.

They could sack their members when they fail to meet standards around appropriate behaviour towards women, particularly women who work for them when there's a power differential.

Always weird to me how these people who preach the whole "self made man" kind of thing - you know, if you don't make it, it's because you're not good enough, and nobody should get any extra assistance - seem really really really really ****en keen on giving men in that position a shitload of assistance to help them weather the storm.

1 hour ago, sonar said:

For starters you have to E.D.U.C.A.T.E  men that it isn't OK. I have four sisters who would be more than happy to step up and give a guiding hand or a lecture. Especially since one of them was sexually harassed on a train on her way home from work by an idiot male.

I doubt that us here in a football forum will come up with solutions for a problem that has been deeply ingrained in Western culture for centuries, if not millennia.

Still, having better role models in politics, media etc would be good. What chance have we got with the likes of ScoMo, Porter, Joyce, Jones, the night watch on Sky? But celebrities cannot substitute appropriate good role models in the family. Coming from that angle:

1) A start would be to protect future generations. The Blue Knot foundation provided the Abbott government with the report below regarding "the cost of unresolved childhood trauma and abuse in adults in Australia". The government said "thank you", and left it at that.

https://www.blueknot.org.au/Portals/2/Economic Report/The cost of unresolved trauma_budget report fnl.pdf

2) Then there are the victims. Womenscommunityshelters.org.au suggest that "more than one in two women across Australia who seek a bed in a crisis shelter are turned away every night, mostly due to a lack of space". That's not good news if a woman is trying to get away from a wife basher.

https://www.womenscommunityshelters.org.au/what-we-do/

3) And then there's the men who have been raised within a society where "The Man Box" rules. Men aren't born as domestic assassins, but learn from the care givers. If insufficient care is given to boy then it will be difficult for these boys to become men with emotional intelligence (and everything that comes with it) in a macho environment. That's where the education ought to kick in.

https://jss.org.au/what-we-do/the-mens-project/the-man-box/

Other things would help as well, like gender equality (women paying the same amount of money as men), an appropriate welfare system (to allow people living with dignity), job security, that kind of stuff.  In general, get the stressors out of life, and put more fun in.

It shouldn't be that hard, really.

45 minutes ago, Bones said:

Give the kids even more Tik Tok time and increase their Cardi B intake.

So interesting for you to resort to ridicule when so many wonderful suggestions were given ahead of you. 

The answers are there. We commission studies to find them, we then get stuck on the politics of implementing them. Sometimes we even get stuck on conceding there is a problem. 

Change is a dirty word, more so on the right than the left. Conservative by name, conservative by nature. Change takes guts. 

1 hour ago, FCB said:

I doubt that us here in a football forum will come up with solutions for a problem that has been deeply ingrained in Western culture for centuries, if not millennia.

Still, having better role models in politics, media etc would be good. What chance have we got with the likes of ScoMo, Porter, Joyce, Jones, the night watch on Sky? But celebrities cannot substitute appropriate good role models in the family. Coming from that angle:

1) A start would be to protect future generations. The Blue Knot foundation provided the Abbott government with the report below regarding "the cost of unresolved childhood trauma and abuse in adults in Australia". The government said "thank you", and left it at that.

https://www.blueknot.org.au/Portals/2/Economic Report/The cost of unresolved trauma_budget report fnl.pdf

2) Then there are the victims. Womenscommunityshelters.org.au suggest that "more than one in two women across Australia who seek a bed in a crisis shelter are turned away every night, mostly due to a lack of space". That's not good news if a woman is trying to get away from a wife basher.

https://www.womenscommunityshelters.org.au/what-we-do/

3) And then there's the men who have been raised within a society where "The Man Box" rules. Men aren't born as domestic assassins, but learn from the care givers. If insufficient care is given to boy then it will be difficult for these boys to become men with emotional intelligence (and everything that comes with it) in a macho environment. That's where the education ought to kick in.

https://jss.org.au/what-we-do/the-mens-project/the-man-box/

Other things would help as well, like gender equality (women paying the same amount of money as men), an appropriate welfare system (to allow people living with dignity), job security, that kind of stuff.  In general, get the stressors out of life, and put more fun in.

It shouldn't be that hard, really.

Interesting that you specifically mentioned Western culture. There is a 2000 year history in parts of Asia ( the East ) in the practice of the horrors of female infanticide so it's not just Western culture.

10 hours ago, marron said:

51 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Interesting that you specifically mentioned Western culture. There is a 2000 year history in parts of Asia ( the East ) in the practice of the horrors of female infanticide so it's not just Western culture.

At least the schtick is consistent.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Porter is simply a entitled private school pr*** who wanted to be prime minister.

He also thought he do whatever he wanted to wherever he wanted to.

Now he needs to come clean about funding. If he doesn't, he needs to resign from parliament.

Imagine wanting to protect the sources of the donations so much you'd prefer to keep silent and lose your position. They must make for interesting reading.

Still I suppose he knows he'll be back Joyce style.

1 hour ago, marron said:

Imagine wanting to protect the sources of the donations so much you'd prefer to keep silent and lose your position. They must make for interesting reading.

Still I suppose he knows he'll be back Joyce style.

Barnaby Joyce said as much today already. Porter has been told to sit tight for a while and then he can return. He also has aspirations to be PM, he won’t give them up easily. 

2 hours ago, Carns said:

At least the schtick is consistent.

Yep and it will continue to be because I tire of all the shyte put on here about this country and whilst not everything is perfect here , I happen to believe we live in the best country in the world.

We live on the one planet and comparison and contrast with other countries counts. 

Why is it so wrong to want it to be better? To not have blatantly corrupt leaders in the federal government and NSW state government for example. In NSW you have effectively zero recourse against corruption (and any number of criminal offences) by anyone in the LNP, and will instead be targeted by the NSW Police for trying expose it. Is that what defines the best country in the world?

36 minutes ago, Bones said:

No ridicule is what it mostly deserves, the hypocritical nonsense that comes from the left are hardly "wonderful ideas".

Have a go though just try, just once have a go at reason, you never know you might even like it 

22 hours ago, FCB said:

One could say "wait, that was a long time ago, it's not like that any longer. Hmmm. The Muslim women who were subjected to systemic **** by their Christian captors in the Bosnian wars no doubt would disagree. That happened in the early 90ies. Christian values, ey?

Except this had nothing to do with religion but rather nationalistic independence.

I don't want to claim sides - but all 3 nations (Croatia, Serbia & Bosnia) were guilty of the same. Some definitely more than others.

But to claim its was religiously motivated is absurd, the same Christian's or Muslims were doing the same at the next village across that would of been Catholic or Orthodox. 

• mack changed the title to Local Current Affairs Thread
  • mack locked this topic