Australia Cup 2022

Just a final post that on the FA Cup Final

This was a statement released last night from a Croatian Australian radio program.

Very well written and a good read to understand context: 

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0Ym5QuadDuh9VWpaD1eJfs3V7vmYRksUdofZW6CZd93qvjTEXyfBUaBhshWM8jDdul&id=100063520031720

27 minutes ago, Stokz said:

This was a statement released last night from a Croatian Australian radio program.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0Ym5QuadDuh9VWpaD1eJfs3V7vmYRksUdofZW6CZd93qvjTEXyfBUaBhshWM8jDdul&id=100063520031720

I'm not having a go at you or Croatian heritage when I say the media doesn't give an eff about context. Their response was and always will be what has that ( Croatia ) got to do with Aus. You could rightly claim that the All Black and Islander Haka is a call to war and violence. The media does not portray it that way though.

Edited by sonar
31 minutes ago, sonar said:

I'm not having a go at you or Croatian heritage when I say the media doesn't give an eff about context. Their response was and always will be what has that ( Croatia ) got to do with Aus. You could rightly claim that the All Black and Islander Haka is a call to war and violence. The media does not portray it that way though.

I totally agree.

But after all the ways the media targeted WSW/RBB I was surprised to see WSW fans jumping on the media bandwagon and laying the boot in straight away, without hearing the other side of the story.

The media latched onto 1-2 incidents and blew it way out of proportion and tainted the whole club/nationality as the same. Sound familiar?

Edited by Stokz
51 minutes ago, Stokz said:

Thanks for the post it is well written.. And does give context. Like I say also thanks for giving cultural context to this. 

If I can take one bit from it

Whilst the use of the phrase is not acceptable in contexts which would seek to glorify WW2 regimes or act as incitement to hatred, the phrase was not used by the community in any such manner at the final, nor is there any evidence that the phrase was used in such manner to support fascism or incite hatred. Whilst legal opinions in Croatia differ, and the opinion of the judiciary has been mixed in Croatia, it should also be noted that the phrase itself is legally permitted to be used in contexts associated with honouring the Homeland War.

Context is key here, words have context. Things are aren't binary (which is what I've been saying on here) things aren't all good or all bad, or all right and all wrong. 

The problems here are:

- Australian media, doesn't do nuance and context (as football fans we know this) they like simple Sokkah = Bad, Cricket = Good.. Immigrants = Hooligan Aussie = Larrikin

- Australians (and I include me) are igonrant to Croation History (I barely know Australian let alone anyone elses)

- Unfortunately (and ithe bit I take issue with on the Facebook post) is the context here was there were people holding up Nazi themed posters and doing Nazi salutes. There were that's fact, how many is open for interpretation but the context here is that these phrases which are as the post points out complex and problematic were used (by or by people near) those carrying on with the Nazi stuff.  So unfortunantely  the nuance is lost and people will assoicate it with the minority of bellends

As for the drowing out of the Welcome to Nation, I wasn't there so I don't know, but again my $0.02 is that it's not black or white (no pun meant) where the marjority aware that the were booing it (probably not we all know you can't hear anything in the active end), but it is naive to think that some boos were delibrately disrepectful, just look at the posts on social media against (Welcome to Country) 

6 minutes ago, Stokz said:

The media latched onto 1-2 incidents and blew it way out of proportion and tainted the whole club/nationality as the same. Sound familiar?

For what it's worth I  agree (largely) . The media etc has tainted the whole club and nationality by the actions of a minority of racists, in the same way that WSW / RBB and Sokkah is tainted. In this case media and others are using this incident to not only have a go at SU58 but Sokkah in general.

It's **** that it takes away from the great achievements of SU58 this year, hopefully it doesn't put back the cause of bringing the old NSL back into the top flight.

But being offended by Nazi salutes at the football isn't 'Woke or PC gone mad' as some might say. Being outraged by that is the correct response in 2022, that is so far from being 'ok', but then putting it on a whole club, culture or sport is wrong..

10 hours ago, Stokz said:

Hmmmmm. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/101618818

15k fine and some suspended sentences it seems 

Suspension of points possible in NPL competition.

Possible suspension from Australia Cup for 3 years.

Football Australia have taken a hard line but will use the $15,000 fine to help Sydney United in an education campaign. They have not pocketed the money to their credit.

22 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Suspension of points possible in NPL competition.

Possible suspension from Australia Cup for 3 years.

Football Australia have taken a hard line but will use the $15,000 fine to help Sydney United in an education campaign. They have not pocketed the money to their credit.

Education campaign? You're 'aving a larff