Wanderers pre-season games 2017/18

17 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Apparently there was a bcd match at Leichardt oval last night?  Anybody got any info? 

On the club website. 2-0 over Bankstown Berries. Berries obviously wanted a trial before facing the smurfs next week

http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-edge-berries-in-friendly/vahpxp8zocda1pua1be38ij7d

I guess I'll give my take aways from this game, same as last. Though there is a lot less to take away from this.

- Roly seems stuck in the DM mindset sometimes when he comes back to break the play up. His passes almost went backwards to the Thwaites. This was a cup game though so you cant fault him too much for wanting to shut down opposition possession.  We've seen glimpses of what he can do, lets hope in league fixtures that Herd can take the task of breaking up play.

- Clisby doesn't look exactly lethal yet but I saw a lot of him running onto diagonal balls in the second half when the opposition was to tired to chase him. We didn't see this from Rizzo this week (or last game) and especially not from Brendo. If Llorente can replicate that attacking potency, great! but if not we need those wide outlets. Clisby seems to have a motor that just doesnt f-ing quit.

- Riera had to come back into the midfield way too much. And when he did, his distribution of well below the standard of even that game.

- Thwaite is a man who knows what he's doing on the ball. He always pushed forward. His end product was a little sexy

- Welcome back Bridge

- Sotirio needs to get his shooting boots on (yeah Mack, I hear you)

(quick stop for the draw)

OI **** YEAH! WE GOT BLACKTOWN!

-- Herd needs to get his head in the game, too many brain snaps

_ Baccus could work on his end product.

- Vedran needs to take the ball early when he's going vertical. As a keeper he makes me cringe watching him try to take an ariel cross

52 minutes ago, ColdRock said:

That's because Ange keeps telling them to leave us, interesting that Victory or Roar don't have this issue. Their socceroos even come back for stints

Who would you seriously entertain been taken into the fold the last 3 years? None since Spira from my recollection.

Victory on the other hand have recruited NT players in most positions. Brisbane have also had their fair share, though I hope high pants never plays again

4 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Who would you seriously entertain been taken into the fold the last 3 years? None since Spira from my recollection.

Victory on the other hand have recruited NT players in most positions. Brisbane have also had their fair share, though I hope high pants never plays again

Popa is not popular with Postecoglou as Popa won't follow the so-called Ange philosophy and sticks to his beloved 4-2-3-1 formation.

When the NT went 4-3-3 for the Asian cup, we had Spira and Tomi playing in the NT. Now that Postecoglou is going 3-2-4-1, Aloisi follows suit but i don't think Popa will ever follow Postecoglou in formation. 

When we go defensive i usually see a flat 4-4-2 formation which changes in transition back to 4-2-3-1 or even 4-1-1-3-1 with the occasional 4-3-3. 

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Popa is not popular with Postecoglou as Popa won't follow the so-called Ange philosophy and sticks to his beloved 4-2-3-1 formation.

When the NT went 4-3-3 for the Asian cup, we had Spira and Tomi playing in the NT. Now that Postecoglou is going 3-2-4-1, Aloisi follows suit but i don't think Popa will ever follow Postecoglou in formation. 

When we go defensive i usually see a flat 4-4-2 formation which changes in transition back to 4-2-3-1 or even 4-1-1-3-1 with the occasional 4-3-3. 

Juric and Spira were in that team regardless of the formation. Aloisi has only just adopted 3ATB and Muscat has never touched it. We are absolutely out of our tree if we are blaming our lack of NT players (for any country) on our formation

The simple fact is we've not recruited the likes of a Troisi or Milligan

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

As Upthehill asked, who in our team are actually good enough for the Roos squad? The only players I can think of are Risdon and maybe Herd, but both are low in the pecking order (particularly Herd).

11 minutes ago, Carns said:

As Upthehill asked, who in our team are actually good enough for the Roos squad? The only players I can think of are Risdon and maybe Herd, but both are low in the pecking order (particularly Herd).

Aspro in about 2-3 seasons time, by then he'll have probably left for Europe 

If antonis had stayed then he might have pushed a claim 

They could do worse than having santalab come on, at least he knows where the back of the net is 

Just now, StringerBellend said:

Aspro in about 2-3 seasons time, by then he'll have probably left for Europe 

If antonis had stayed then he might have pushed a claim 

They could do worse than having santalab come on, at least he knows where the back of the net is 

Aspro isn't even first choice for WSW. I agree he is one for the future, but he isn't there yet.

Antonis has never achieved his potential, hoping he does a Mooy and blooms a bit later.

Ange is not going to pick a 35 year old (besides Cahill).

11 minutes ago, Carns said:

I would agree on player capability. Risdon in good form would be our only potential candidate at the moment.

My original point was that Brisbane City have scheduled a friendly on the same night and time as the WCQ against Thailand. The crowd that would turn out will be lower at the friendly against us with Football followers more likely to stay at home to watch the Socceroos on FTA. Would have been better to play the friendly on Wednesday.