• 2 months later...
On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 1:31 AM, braad said:

How do you Scots do your teams? I have half-assed followed it, but not sure if teams are supported via location, religion or name/clan/ancestry?

I'm currently trying to find out my Scottish roots. My Grandfather was in some Scottish Assoc. years ago, and i have pics of him in traditional dress at weddings and stuff. Unfortunately the info died with him and my Dad.

Once i figure it out should i be picking up a certain team dependant on what i find?

Bradd going back a lot of the clubs may at some point had a religious leaning like can still be seen today with Celtic and Rangers and to a lesser extent maybe Hibs and Hearts but nowadays most fans will follow their team based on the area they are from ... Again with Celtic and Rangers being the exception who have a huge amount of fans who travel from all over the country to support them . 

• 1 year later...
On 24/10/2018 at 10:20 AM, hawks2767 said:

FMD Dundee you're a disgrace.

Not United they've always sucked, but Dundee FC are surely being relegated.

How do you determine if you are a Dundee or Dundee United fan other than family history...the grounds are on the same street lol It is like Allianz and the SCG in distance between the two grounds and Dundee not a big city either....is support historically split between parts of the citty?

14 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Can they do it! Long old way to go but hope they can.

Hearts are my Scottish team and can say that as have been to Tynecastle a good few times when staying with family friends in Edinburgh...

Celtic look like they have now got their act together for this season.

Hearts have continued to win despite a few long term injuries to key players. As you say a long way to go. But they seem to have some real depth and the right "mentality" (to be fair) to overcome setbacks.

The cup semi on Sunday might give us a clue.

Overall seems like a tougher league to win this year. Hearts, Celtic, Livingstone(!), Kilmarnock,  Hibs, Rangers are all doing well and Aberdeen will at least cause more than a few problems during the season.

It will be a refreshing change to not have Celtic, or anyone else, wrap up the title with weeks to go.

On 25/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, Smoggy said:

How do you determine if you are a Dundee or Dundee United fan other than family history...the grounds are on the same street lol It is like Allianz and the SCG in distance between the two grounds and Dundee not a big city either....is support historically split between parts of the citty?

It's family history for us, I don't ever remember seeing anything about the city being split though.

There's a book called 'after the match the game begins' which talks about Dundee Utility - the only known example of 2 rival sets of fans teaming up against anyone who visits the city.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

First time since '98?

Only got it a few years ago. Did a swap with a relative who is an Aberdeen and Scotland fan. He got WSW and Socceroos, I got Aberdeen and Scotland. My grandma was from Aberdeen and still have relatives there, Edinburgh and Inverness.

7 minutes ago, Carns said:

Only got it a few years ago. Did a swap with a relative who is an Aberdeen and Scotland fan. He got WSW and Socceroos, I got Aberdeen and Scotland. My grandma was from Aberdeen and still have relatives there, Edinburgh and Inverness.

Is that where your username Carns come from then, Cairngorms?

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

is that the 1979 retro Archie Gemmil classic top?:D

No, not today.

I'm wearing a new one received as a gift from my eldest son last year. Brought a tear to my eye when I saw what it was when I unwrapped it.

• 4 months later...
  • mack locked this topic