The 'What Floats Your Boat' Thread

mack

jocosmic - have you read any of Leonard Susskind's works? Possibly some of the best stuff out there on string theory and theoretical particle physics.

His videos are good too - lectures, really - but you need a strong grounding in theoretical physics to follow them usefully.

jocosmic - have you read any of Leonard Susskind's works? Possibly some of the best stuff out there on string theory and theoretical particle physics.

His videos are good too - lectures, really - but you need a strong grounding in theoretical physics to follow them usefully.

I've watched a lecture by him quite a while back. One he gave at NYU. It is quite dense physics and definitely difficult to decipher especially the maths behind the 11 dimensional space time. I have to admit I go more towards the 'pop star' of the physics world if you will such as Brian Greene and kaku.

Being moved to tears is the most extraordinary sensation as it can have so many sources. Joy, frustration, empathy, consolation, despair, ecstasy, love - each one unique, but each, nonetheless, leads to the same point of release. 

Definitely floats my boat.

953834e085547db0913ce700fd9357792b6913dd

*and pretty awesome.

I've watched a lecture by him quite a while back. One he gave at NYU. It is quite dense physics and definitely difficult to decipher especially the maths behind the 11 dimensional space time. I have to admit I go more towards the 'pop star' of the physics world if you will such as Brian Greene and kaku.

Too good for me lads, I draw the line at H.G. Wells

Edited by WhoDoWeSingFor

Roller derby.

Magpies.

Petrichor.

If you mean magpies, as in the birds???...I think their call is one of the best sounds on the planet!!

Indeed. :D

i can go one better.

the sound of a child be chased by a magpie :D

The sound (and sight) of 50 magpies - half of them immature - playing tug of war, wrestling like puppies, learning how to find worms and generally lolling about inquisitively around your feet in the early Saturday sunlight in late spring. :)

Lovely!!!

I once watched a parent magpie disciplining its baby. The parent had been watch from a distance as the baby foraged, observed the youngster moving off the grass and too close to the road and then leapt on it,  showing its disapproval very forcefully (at least that was my interpretation of what was happening)  The parent was very diligent in keeping an eye on the baby, and was obviously teaching it.  Quite amazing...but then everything about the natural world is .

Wendy, I have a longstanding habit of adopting and handfeeding the local magpie population. When they waltz into your room to demand a feed, you look up and automatically say "not inside", and they trot back outside and wait patiently, you know you've got a new good friend.

When you revisit your former house after 3 months to check for mail, and the same young magpie recognises you in the park, runs (not flies - runs. Awkwardly) over squarking excitedly and calls over about 20 of its mates, you know you've got a whole other society that sees you as one of their own. :D

While his lectures are often quite complex and obtuse (it being his day job and all...), his books are anything but. I'd recommend them over Brian Greene, easily.

Wendy, I have a longstanding habit of adopting and handfeeding the local magpie population. When they waltz into your room to demand a feed, you look up and automatically say "not inside", and they trot back outside and wait patiently, you know you've got a new good friend.

When you revisit your former house after 3 months to check for mail, and the same young magpie recognises you in the park, runs (not flies - runs. Awkwardly) over squarking excitedly and calls over about 20 of its mates, you know you've got a whole other society that sees you as one of their own. :D

Dad has been feeding the same family of magpies for at least 5 years. We've seen mum and dad move in, and then babies come and go, and fortunately they're still around. They start squawking around the house if we don't feed them by their expected time.

Smells that trigger happy memories

Sitting on the back verandah with my son, drinking Slurpies on a hot day

Listening to my mum tell me stories about her life growing up in Italy

Remembering the times sitting talking with my old man about his life

Becoming a father

Being a father

Eating!

Being told by a younger woman you look 10 years younger than you actually are!!!! ;). Sweeeeeeeeeettttttttttt

And being cheeky!!

Edited by JackDoff

OK, so now I have tears in my eyes!!  It must have been hard to leave them when you moved!!     :(

This thread is floating my boat...big time.  :)  :)  :)

I love reading you posts Wendy, you are the Pollyanna of this forum,,LOL

I sometimes think this of myself!! LOL!!

Yes well we definitely needed a balancing thread with the gear grinding one.

I still stick by my early post in that thread, that it will have three times as many posts as this one unfortunately.

Good thread, it was inevitable we'd have it eventually.

OK, so now I have tears in my eyes!!  It must have been hard to leave them when you moved!!     :(

Yep. I have no words. :(

Which - for those who know me - is something.

Smells have an amazing effect of flashing your mind back to an earlier event in your life. Perfume, aftershave, flowers, certain scents can remind you of some wonderful people and places that have been in your life.

Yep, strongest sense we have.

Music does that to me too.

Starting to need a jukebox though to hold all the songs that remind me of ........ crap, wrong thread.  I'm so confused.

Nostalgia...

There's a particular smell you only get on really really humid days, almost never in Sydney.. It's a tropical smell. Takes me back to where I lived when I was a kid, in the pacific; instantly, I'm stepping off the plane onto the tarmac.

Sounds can do it too though.

Reading POUMista's stuff (so so far in this thread we have a magpie man and a cat lady... ok :lol:) reminds me how hearing a chorus of magpies in the morning takes me back to the grandparents family home in mt Pritchard.

Nostalgia...

There's a particular smell you only get on really really humid days, almost never in Sydney.. It's a tropical smell. Takes me back to where I lived when I was a kid, in the pacific; instantly, I'm stepping off the plane onto the tarmac.

Reading POUMista's stuff (so so far in this thread we have a magpie man and a cat lady... ok :lol:) reminds me how hearing a chorus of magpies in the morning takes me back to the grandparents family home in mt Pritchard.

I bags being 'The Penguin'

Nostalgia...

POUMista would probably dislike cats...but ours are strictly inside before sunset, and only let out after daybreak, so not much of a threat to local birds and possums, although cicadas are being mercilessly hunted by our 12 week old kitten, and there are plenty of tailless lizards (skinks??)  about at the moment.   :(

Nostalgia...

POUMista would probably dislike cats...but ours are strictly inside before sunset, and only let out after daybreak, so not much of a threat to local birds and possums, although cicadas are being mercilessly hunted by our 12 week old kitten, and there are plenty of tailless lizards (skinks??)  about at the moment.   :(

Are they without tails on purpose or is that your cat ?

I can't talk, one of our Jack Russels is no friend to Blue Tongue Lizards sadly.

Edited by WhoDoWeSingFor

Nostalgia...

Are they without tails on purpose or is that your cat ?

I can't talk, one of our Jack Russels is no friend to Blue Tongue Lizards sadly.

Sometimes I find the kitten playing with the lizard's wriggling tail...which is good, sometimes she's playing with the lizard, and that's not so good. They grow out of hunting things fairly early on (from my past experience). That's when they start sleeping for 18-19 hours a day. That's very cute too!  LOL maybe we need a "MY Pets " thread!