General W-League Discussion 2015/16

• 2 weeks later...

Since there isn't a thread for it...today is WSW vs Canberra United, playing in our glorious nation's capital.

Haven't seen the WSW women play yet but Canberra United is in great form (undefeated in last seven games) and they beat the Singaporean national team 13-0 in a friendly the other day lol. Will be a tough one for us, especially in this heat, but should be good none the less.

Since there isn't a thread for it...today is WSW vs Canberra United, playing in our glorious nation's capital.

Haven't seen the WSW women play yet but Canberra United is in great form (undefeated in last seven games) and they beat the Singaporean national team 13-0 in a friendly the other day lol. Will be a tough one for us, especially in this heat, but should be good none the less.

just to clarify... is that the men's or women's national team

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realise how similar the ESFC men's and women's teams are.

Both sit back, snatch a goal and suffocate the game.

Gotta hand it to them, they're building a club on it.

Benefited from a disgraceful refereeing decision in this one.

And some poor finishing. I only caught the second half, but Canberra had enough opportunities to at least level it I think.

City through to grand final after beating roar on penalties

At 4-4, beard missed a penalty leaving De Vanna to score the winner.

Beard had been awesome all game too. She was understandably devastated.

Roar had an awesome defensive display today. City will have to improve/be more consistent to win the final.

I didn't realise how similar the ESFC men's and women's teams are.

Both sit back, snatch a goal and suffocate the game.

Gotta hand it to them, they're building a club on it.

Benefited from a disgraceful refereeing decision in this one.

And some poor finishing. I only caught the second half, but Canberra had enough opportunities to at least level it I think.

Bit late but FMD that was a frustrating match to watch. Canberra were controlling the ball and had more convincing attempts on goal for most of the match compared to Sydney, but as soon as ESFC scored it started to unwravel. I nearly kicked the TV in when that 16 year old Canberra player wasn't able to get the ball in the back of the net from 3 feet away...

Very frustrating game. I thought the Green Machine would beat the Smurfs for sure...

it was a terrible decision. they're saying the goal line assistant made the call that there was no foul.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-admit-wleague-referee-blunder-cost-canberra-united-against-sydney-fc-20160127-gmf5do.html

"In short the refereeing team made an error ... the referee probably wasn't in the best position to see the contact between the two players, so the coaching for her was she could've got into a better position," he told Fairfax Media on Wednesday.

"We have these additional assistant referees for the first time in the W-League semi-finals and there was one in a good position, but she just made a judgment error and didn't think the contact was sufficient for it to be a foul.

"So she advised the referee through the communication system that there was no foul and the referee took her advice.

"It's little consolation I'd imagine to be told the referee made a mistake."

The FFA announced on Wednesday Kate Jacewicz would take charge of the W-League grand final, with Reibelt not listed in her team of assistants.

"We couldn't really consider match officials that were involved in a match-changing error in a semi-final to show up in a grand final," Wilson said.

"That would probably be galling for Canberra United players to see that on TV.

"That's not the only thing that comes into consideration, but it's one of the considerations."

Are there similar plans for a wleague specific facility at the Football Park complex being built by the Wanderers?

New women’s specific facility and friendly against Manchester City reward for W-League champions

http://www.foxsports.com.au/news/new-womens-specific-facility-and-friendly-against-manchester-city-reward-for-wleague-champions/news-story/0c564d135f6a05f16df5af1586373eca

Are there similar plans for a wleague specific facility at the Football Park complex being built by the Wanderers?

New women’s specific facility and friendly against Manchester City reward for W-League champions

http://www.foxsports.com.au/news/new-womens-specific-facility-and-friendly-against-manchester-city-reward-for-wleague-champions/news-story/0c564d135f6a05f16df5af1586373eca

The City women's team is getting set up for the long term. If other teams don't start putting in the time and money like City is, then we can easily expect to see the dominance of City this season repeated again and again. Unfortunately I have a feeling the other clubs will lag behind as City Group start to sink in the money in terms of infrastructure and providing the girls with experience i.e. playing against Manchester City Women.

This is good news in a way, since of course it's good for women's teams to develop and to have funds and proper facilities available. But then again a league where one team dominates is not the greatest either. 

Our 30m facility will cater for all of our teams.

And we dont have an overseas women's team to set up a friemdly against.

However, what cfg are doing for their women is great and really challenges the rest to step up.

Yes, I'd agree with West here, what's the need for a specific women's facility when you've got all the teams under one roof. I think it's better that way & that way we can play all our matches at one specific venue as I'm pretty sure they are planning on having a small spectator stadium to play our matches in the $30m complex.

Massive props to city though, not many teams are willing to spend the majority of the cap & pour funds into the women's game. Great stuff!

ESFC is just anti football all around.

City have been doing well and have had a few solid chances. If they keep it up then they'll have it in the bag.

The wheels on the bus go one goal down...

Didnt watch the whole game but city was a class above & ESFC didn't really have a chance.

Did anyone see how small the grand final trophy was? **** me, looked like a stein could have been bigger than that thing!!

The problem will be if they really start to dominate year on year what's the incentive for the other clubs to put money into a league they can't possibly win. They'll just save the money for running their A-League teams, where they have a chance at silverware.

• 3 months later...