Music Thread 3

mack

1 hour ago, marron said:

A number of factors I'd say.

-an authentic voice in a sea of people singing in American accents . His voice is not everyone's cup of tea, and he's not a good singer even, but that's the appeal . He is not a great guitarist - again, all that says is he's an ordinary bloke and you don't need to be some revered figure to get on stage. I'd much rather listen to that than sone full of themselves virtuoso disappearing up their own arse in self importance. he doesn't care. He's not got a record company or years of tuition behind him making it how it's supposed to be; it's just raw, an ordinary bloke. 

-he is not afraid to be political. Unashamedly. Again that's refreshing in a world where so much music is carefully curated. Even more so now.  Like his politics or not, he puts his money where his mouth is, it's his genuine beliefs he is getting out there in his songs. 

-take away his voice (which I like anyway) and the songs are actually really good. Good melodies. Cracking lyrics about everyday life for ordinary people. 

I appreciate the response marron. I agree with your comments re american accents, record company curating and those up themselves. I haven't noticed the political stuff in his music but that would be another turn off for me. I'm looking for entertainment and that voice doesn't provide it, despite the appeal of his accent.

Yeah, like I said it's far from everyone's cup of tea. But there is an appeal there, to a certain type of person.

Not all lyrics are political either (at least not directly - some might argue that just singing about the random ordinary stuff is political). Some great lines that go hand in hand with the delivery and the tunes. 

"Her mother read her mail.....

And her dad was a policeman".

"The time that it takes to make a baby.....

Can be the time it takes to make a cup of tea....."

"He still goes dancing and she still cuts hair....

They put the baby into council care"

"People ask me when will I grow up to be a man but all the girls I loved at school are already pushing prams"

I don't know - it's just nice to hear an ordinary voice :lol:

18 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I appreciate the response marron. I agree with your comments re american accents, record company curating and those up themselves. I haven't noticed the political stuff in his music but that would be another turn off for me. I'm looking for entertainment and that voice doesn't provide it, despite the appeal of his accent.

I couldn’t have put it better than Marron

He’s not for everyone, but I don’t think any interesting art is. I know that sounds pretentious.

Anyhow this one always brings a tear to my eye

Here is with the Australia’s very

own and very ace Courtney Barnett

Edited by StringerBellend

I woke up at 2am last night and had a song come into my head, I could only remember a part of it....

I've just spent half an hour travelling the youtubes trying to find it (it's hard when you can't remember any of the words apart from do do do do doo doo doo)

And I've finally found it.

Oh man that's the worst, when that happens.

In about 1998 I was at a mate of a mate's place and he had a tape of the best street punk I had ever heard. Like, it was unreal. It had a female singer. They were Swedish.  I can still hear the sound of it in my head, and the cadence, you know, the rhythm and speed. It was sooooooo good.

But tracking that down has been impossible. :lol: every couple of years I have a go, no luck yet.

On 17/02/2019 at 5:26 PM, marron said:

I have another instrumental i taped off fbi radio around the same time. No idea of the band because they never said. So annoying. 

I notice that Stringer has supplied the band name but also you can go on the fbi site and there's a setlist and times played - I've had to do this before when the "hey grandpa" (apologies to Shaun Micallef) millennial DJ forgets or is too busy spruiking the latest experience to be had at one end of King St Newtown or the other.....

Still a supporter of fbi - anything that encourages local and live music!

11 hours ago, Potkorok said:

Ah Mr Kuepper - saw him live a few times in the early 90s on the back of Honey Steels Gold - what an album - still one of my favourites. Unfortunately I was a little young to see the Saints but have their stuff on a playlist too. Thanks for posting!

I seen a reformed Saints play at All Tommorows Parties festival a few years back. 

The crowd featured Tanya Pilberek, Carmel Lawrence and Albo 

mate of mine joked that you would see a liberal here and then who should we spot wearing Chinos and jumper casually draped over the shoulder but Malcolm Turnball