Unpopular Opinions 2

mack

I don't believe Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran should be executed.

When they were first sentenced I was all for it, for the reasons that many have mentioned before: Indonesia is a sovereign nation, they can choose their methods of dealing with drug smugglers; the pair knew what they were getting themselves into; and the drugs being brought in will damage Indonesian lives. All valid points and I agree with each of them.

However, having done research since their trial I have changed my opinion for the following reasons:

• The judicial procedure has been riddled with allegations of corruption. Which may be false and simply a delaying tactic on behalf of sections of the media, but the history is there with Indonesian law. Should we be condemning someone to their death on an supposedly corrupt system? There have been numerous stories of guards and lawyers accepting bribes in similar cases.
  • There is no evidence to back up the fact that capital punishment is a deterrent for these type of offences. There are numerous sources of data to back this up, not just in Indonesia but world wide.
  • Finally, the Indonesian Government is actively attempting to have their own citizens saved from execution within other Asian nations for similar offences, yet will not do the same for an Australian on their own soil. It is a hypocritical stance.

As this is the Unpopular Opinion thread I do expect backlash from the above comments. I do believe that the pair will be killed, whether it's just or not but as a matter of principle for those in Indonesia at the moment.

Has anyone besides me noticed the coincidental rise in childhood obesity goes hand in hand with the speed limits around school zones being lowered?

Run fatty, run.

To take this a few steps further back. 

School zones started popping up mid 90's.

Why?

More cars around schools. There was a sharp increase in %age of kids going to school by car in the early 90's. Prior to that 50-60% of kids went to school via another mode of transport, Bus/train, Walking, Bikes. Currently its about 80% by car. Its a bit less in country and inner city areas and a bit higher in the 'burbs.

Why? 

In 1990 or 91 (depending on what state you lived in) it became compulsory to wear a foam hat if you rode a bike. Sending the message that riding a bike is so dangerous you need protective equipment to do it.

Add to that kids think helmets aren't cool, Most people can see that it does very little to actually to make you safer (how do you protect other vital organs) and growing community concern about "Stranger Danger" and all of a sudden the only "safe" way to take kids to school is for responsible parents to strap them into air conditioned metal cages with wheels and drive them there. Any parent who doesn't do this is not being responsible. Meanwhile, streets around schools weren't designed with such high traffic volumes in mind so parking etc can't cope with demand and you get the stupid situation we are in now. 

Add to your obesity rise the increase in respiratory illnesses caused, largely, by increased pollution from the exhaust fumes of vehicles, interaction with the local community is reduced as you're cocooned away in you car and our kids are less "safe" than they were a generation ago.

all because of a law mandating bike helmets. 

so the unpopular opinion (or not so unpopular seeing as Australia is one of 2 countries with such a law) is there should be no law about bike helmets, you choose if you want one or not. 

Guest ZipGunBop

Not unpopular.

Perhaps a case of the minority screaming loudest? Most people I've spoken too take the same attitude "they knew what they were getting themselves into".

They did know what they were getting themselves into.

I don't know that means people want them to be killed necessarily.

Not unpopular.

Perhaps a case of the minority screaming loudest? Most people I've spoken too take the same attitude "they knew what they were getting themselves into".

They did know what they were getting themselves into.

I don't know that means people want them to be killed necessarily.

Conversations usually lead to people saying they deserve to die as that's the law in Indonesia. Perhaps they would think differently if that was their son/daughter facing execution.

Guest mickisnot

I think both opinions on the two Australians facing the death penalty are sizeable and popular.

People saying they deserve to die are retarded and/or trying to emotionally distant themselves. No one "deserves" to die.

It's not a a yes or no question though as you've pointed out Gazmon. On one hand you've got a government abiding by their local governance, but they're showing a double standard by arguing for their own populace to be sparred. Hypocracy.

After all said that is said and done, don't take drugs to Indonesia they'll shoot you and not much can be done about it.

I think both opinions on the two Australians facing the death penalty are sizeable and popular.

People saying they deserve to die are retarded and/or trying to emotionally distant themselves. No one "deserves" to die.

It's not a a yes or no question though as you've pointed out Gazmon. On one hand you've got a government abiding by their local governance, but they're showing a double standard by arguing for their own populace to be sparred. Hypocracy.

After all said that is said and done, don't take drugs to Indonesia they'll shoot you and not much can be done about it.

It's also hypocritical that people hold vigils for people who knowingly have done the wrong thing and in one aspect are 'paying the price', but given all the human rights atrocities in parts of the Middle East and African (and other parts too), they simply couldn't give a rats arse. Funny how people choose their battles, I guess with this one cause it's close to home.

Guest mickisnot

Unpopular opinion: Calling someone "retarded", because they have a different view point to you, is stupid.

You're focusing on the words used and not the intention of the comment.

Unpopular opinion: Calling someone "retarded", because they have a different view point to you, is stupid.

Hey ****, would you like to share with these lovely people on the forum what your previous comment was before you edited it, or shall I post a screenshot???

Guest mickisnot

Hey ****, would you like to share with these lovely people on the forum what your previous comment was before you edited it, or shall I post a screenshot???

Upon review, my previous post didn't articulate the message I wanted. So naturally it was edited. That's why we have a function to edit our posts.

The point still remains that you focus on the words, not the message.

Upon review, my previous post didn't articulate the message I wanted. So naturally it was edited. That's why we have a function to edit our posts.

The point still remains that you focus on the words, not the message.

Please enlighten me then, on the message of , "You deserve to die".

Guest mickisnot

If you're going to quote, quote properly. Deserve was in brackets.

No one deserves to die. I said this higher in the thread.

It was supposed to be some higher meaning, where you could think about the intention of the message and not the words etc. But I took it back because I obviously don't think you deserve to die and the quote was ambiguous.

Why are you blaming me for something I took back?

Barlow n Chambers anyone? I don't remember too many people giving a rats about those 2 before they were hanged in '86. They'd been trafficking Heroin through Malaysia for ages before they got busted. I don't think these 2 guys in Indonesia deserve to die, but you have to play by the countries rules, wherever you go.

If you're going to quote, quote properly. Deserve was in brackets.

No one deserves to die. I said this higher in the thread.

It was supposed to be some higher meaning, where you could think about the intention of the message and not the words etc. But I took it back because I obviously don't think you deserve to die and the quote was ambiguous.

Why are you blaming me for something I took back?

**** apology, 1/10