Mental Health Thread 2

mack

now that i am not doing badly as in mostly dead inside but nothing is really depressing which is better than nothing i really need to work on myself a lot more, i burn so many bridges and do it so fast, dont get me wrong some people are good to have out of your life but i burn bridges of good friends, people who i miss, i mean its one of the issues i have and need to improve there is plenty more i do need to improve but i do miss having friends and that really isnt going to change until i improve as a person

14 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

does too much sugar mean i am more likely to be tired or not enough sugar? because there is no way in hell i am not getting enough sugar :P next time i go to the doctor i'll ask if they can check my thyroid

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-drain-energy#section1

13 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

now that i am not doing badly as in mostly dead inside but nothing is really depressing which is better than nothing i really need to work on myself a lot more, i burn so many bridges and do it so fast, dont get me wrong some people are good to have out of your life but i burn bridges of good friends, people who i miss, i mean its one of the issues i have and need to improve there is plenty more i do need to improve but i do miss having friends and that really isnt going to change until i improve as a person

Acknowledging to your friends (or old friends) that you have done the wrong thing and are working to be better will go a long way to restoring old friendships. Admitting fault is a big part of people forgiving past behaviour. And if they are really friends and decent people they will forgive you.

7 hours ago, Carns said:

Acknowledging to your friends (or old friends) that you have done the wrong thing and are working to be better will go a long way to restoring old friendships. Admitting fault is a big part of people forgiving past behaviour. And if they are really friends and decent people they will forgive you.

thank you, dont get me wrong there was some friendships which just were not working but i have lost some great friends because of how i attack people too fast, its not so much about getting those friends back some things cant be repaired but its about making possible future friendships better and in general just trying to be a better person, because i have gone from way too emotional all the time and now not feeling much i am confused about who i am, what kind of person i am because that is a drastic change and its not even because of the meds because i dont take them as often as i should so i am just confused :P 

50 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

thank you, dont get me wrong there was some friendships which just were not working but i have lost some great friends because of how i attack people too fast, its not so much about getting those friends back some things cant be repaired but its about making possible future friendships better and in general just trying to be a better person, because i have gone from way too emotional all the time and now not feeling much i am confused about who i am, what kind of person i am because that is a drastic change and its not even because of the meds because i dont take them as often as i should so i am just confused :P 

Yes, some things can not be repaired, and you can't take back what was said. But, some people are willing to forgive if you are genuinely remorseful. Don't just assume everyone is not willing to accept an apology.

Trying to be better is part of growing up and learning and growing as a person. It's not an easy thing to do at all, and it takes a shitload of courage to admit you ****ed up and are at fault. That, in and of itself, is growth.

And although I have never been medicated, I get that they are not an easy transition or simple change. But, sometimes, they work. And if they do work (and they don't always, and often have side effects/consequences) than you should continue to take them. But not all meds are suited to all people, sometimes it takes a while to find the right mix, for your own circumstances.

38 minutes ago, Carns said:

Yes, some things can not be repaired, and you can't take back what was said. But, some people are willing to forgive if you are genuinely remorseful. Don't just assume everyone is not willing to accept an apology.

Trying to be better is part of growing up and learning and growing as a person. It's not an easy thing to do at all, and it takes a shitload of courage to admit you ****ed up and are at fault. That, in and of itself, is growth.

And although I have never been medicated, I get that they are not an easy transition or simple change. But, sometimes, they work. And if they do work (and they don't always, and often have side effects/consequences) than you should continue to take them. But not all meds are suited to all people, sometimes it takes a while to find the right mix, for your own circumstances.

thank you :) honestly no one is more negative towards myself than i am :P but i have not done anything about fixing things i know are an issue and that is something i simply need to do, didnt have the energy before my mind was too focused on depression but while i dont have that as such maybe i can improve, on the meds they work for the most part but i dont feel much different on them or if i dont take them for a while so i am not sure about that right now, it can be very confusing since different things work for different people and all that

7 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

on the meds they work for the most part but i dont feel much different on them or if i dont take them for a while so i am not sure about that right now, it can be very confusing since different things work for different people and all that

I don't know from personal experience, but from the little I know, it's worth really trying to take them as prescribed, to get the benefit, if you observe that they "work for the most part", Goat.

If there's a "part" that doesn't seem optimal, see if that disappears when you are strict about compliance.

Talk very honestly about any issues with your health care professionals also. They might have advice to fine tune your experience with the meds.

I'm sure many here get the sense ("from a distance", of course) that you are in a better, more balanced state than you have sometimes been in the past. Hope so, anyway way!

Re: being a better person, focusing  on what you can do for other people who need a helping hand in any way, is what I think works best for that.

I'm lucky, and lots of others in different "caring" lines of work are lucky, because being busy focusing on others rather than oneself is a powerful factor in feeling useful in life...to me.

It wouldn't matter whether its in a volunteering capacity or in your family or neighbourhood, there would be ways to contribute to becoming ,a "better person" .

It's a good goal to have.

Take care!

:):)

PS Well done to Carns with his lovely words of wisdom.  :good:

31 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I don't know from personal experience, but from the little I know, it's worth really trying to take them as prescribed, to get the benefit, if you observe that they "work for the most part", Goat.

And don't just stop taking them either if you feel they aren't doing as intended, as coming off medication cold turkey can have negative side effects.

Talk to your health care professional.

3 minutes ago, Kitto said:

And don't just stop taking them either if you feel they aren't doing as intended, as coming off medication cold turkey can have negative side effects.

Talk to your health care professional.

Yes totally this!

But going back to the not taking meds as prescribed, I know of parents who would allow kids not to take, say, meds for ADHD, on weekends, and then wonder why their kid's  behaviour was erratic/not improved.

I know some here might find meds for that condition controversial, but they can be transformative,  but not if they are taken sporadically, or not if they are not taken as prescribed.

thank you for all the help everyone, i think at the end of the day i dont know if i should be on meds or not but while i am deciding i should be taking them daily, sometimes i forget, other times i cant be bothered its something i should improve, i do want to help friends and that kinda thing but i dont think i am up to helping many people, dont get me wrong i would love to help people but i need to get over anxiety and other issues before i can go out and help anyone really, glad i seem a bit more stable :P mostly i would say i am, i had an indian friend who was an ex who i recently blocked and i know that was a mistake, she was being a horrible person but we supported each other since 2008 so i should have just stopped talking to her for a bit so i could cooldown and then talk things out but i just blocked her so that is a mistake i dont want to repeat

Yeah I opted for the no meds in the end. For a variety of reasons. But if you're on them, keep on the schedule . Messing about isn't good for anything. Set reminders and if you're feeling "why should I bother" talk to the health pro and make adjustments you can stick to.

I went cold turkey, alone, wasn't great. 

As for your friend, unblock,,tell them you're sorry and had hit a real rough patch but have regretted it for a while.  If they say "screw you", well, no real difference to now,,only you will have left an opening if they change their mind, and can feel like at least you've tried to make amends. 

1 hour ago, Neverbloom said:

i should be taking them daily, sometimes i forget, other times i cant be bothered its something i should improve,

This is a big thing, I know when I don’t take my medication on time or forget, I can feel horrible & it really messes with me. Impossible to get it right all the time but hopefully you notice an improvement when you take it the same time on a regular basis.

On 29/11/2019 at 2:34 AM, Neverbloom said:

this isnt a major issue but recently i been far more tired than ever, its most likely my sleeping pattern

Definitely look into this as a way you can have more energy. One of my big factors that can get me off track is sleep. If I don’t go to bed & wake up at the same time or not get enough sleep I can be a write off. It’s very hard to change sleep patterns over night but maybe something you can look at over the long term so you don’t feel so tired all the time 

On 29/11/2019 at 2:34 AM, Neverbloom said:

i really hope Prydz and the hobart based wanderers fan is doing better

Thanks Goat, you’re a wonderful person for thinking of me, I can use all possible good vibes that I can get :) 

How am I doing? I’ve had a bit of a dip in the last week, I had a change of medication to see if that would make a difference but unfortunately it didn’t help. So back to what I was doing, not much to do at the moment other than roll with the punches & make sure I can do the basics to look after myself so I can look after others.

On you Goat, keep on battling & keep on going, you’ve come so far. You should be really proud of yourself :good:

• 3 weeks later...

I just read this and thought I'd share it on here ...

Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognise our shared humanity.

- Pema Chodron, The Places That Scare You

3 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I just read this and thought I'd share it on here ...

Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognise our shared humanity.

- Pema Chodron, The Places That Scare You

i dont entirely agree with it, some people just dont have darkness however its a good quote, compassion should be the standard but its really not

just looking for some recommendations, remembering its difficult for me to go out what is a good thing to do to keep me from being bored? i know being bored is a first world problem but if you are always bored, never excited by anything and dont have anything to look forward to then life can get pretty gloomy, currently motorsport season is over so that is something i used to look forward to but cant right now, football season is over right now, i am very happy the wanderers won the championship and premiership however the actual season ended about 5 weeks ago and that means i have no more football to look forward to for a while.

i need to expand my hobbies because nothing feels exciting anymore, even when the wanderers score a goal my reaction is usually very muted

About the only thing I can recommend, which used to be more the domain of older people, but now seems to cut across all age groups as a hobby/ interest, is plants.

Doesn't have to be expensive.

Does have to be undertaken with care, a degree of knowledge and some commitment (because plants are living entities, and when you adopt them, in my view, you need to care for them, as they can't just up and look elsewhere for what they need to thrive, or even survive).

But getting the knowledge of what to do is easy via the internet, finding the time and commitment is up to you.

Succulents seem to be all the go with younger people...and are fairly easy care. Low on water requirements too.

If you're interested, I could help you out with some plants....I have a nursery in my back garden atm....and have hundreds of succulents.

Quite seriously!!

:):)

PS I think I also suggested photography in the past?

That would be another hobby that's easy to get started on....even just with your phone.

Try posting to Instagram...etc if you wanted to share it a bit, and get feedback.

In a semi-rural area....you'd have suitable subjects all day long, I reckon - from animals to plants, to sunsets etc.

Plenty of online support for/opportunities to share photography also, from what I understand.

Good luck with whatever you choose...but just get in and have a go when you decide, Goat!

i heard you can make a lot of money from growing specific plants too which will improve my mental health

seriously though that is an idea, i used to hate to do some gardening stuff for work for the dole a while back and there were a few enriching experiences about it, just watering a plant was pretty relaxing, will try to travel places too in terms of the photography thing it will lead me to travel new places which i need, your post also made me think i should do lawn bowls again i used to love that when i was about 14, i have not been taking my meds, ******* horrible decision so new years i'll start again

3 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

i heard you can make a lot of money from growing specific plants too which will improve my mental health

seriously though that is an idea, i used to hate to do some gardening stuff for work for the dole a while back and there were a few enriching experiences about it, just watering a plant was pretty relaxing, will try to travel places too in terms of the photography thing it will lead me to travel new places which i need, your post also made me think i should do lawn bowls again i used to love that when i was about 14, i have not been taking my meds, ******* horrible decision so new years i'll start again

Why wait til New Years  mate??

If you know you're better on it, there's no time like the present! :xnod:

PS Yes...the lawn bowls seems like fun!

Just now, wendybr said:

Why wait til New Years  mate??

If you know you're better on it, there's no time like the present! :xnod:

PS Yes...the lawn bowls seems like fun!

right now my flu is beating the hell out of me, i can go from freezing to feeling so hot i am about to throw up in seconds, whenever i start sertraline again my body temp goes up massively, first time i took it i thought i was ******* dying, if i start taking it again right now then that will my high temperature even worse and i cant do that right now

2 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

just looking for some recommendations, remembering its difficult for me to go out what is a good thing to do to keep me from being bored? i know being bored is a first world problem but if you are always bored, never excited by anything and dont have anything to look forward to then life can get pretty gloomy, currently motorsport season is over so that is something i used to look forward to but cant right now, football season is over right now, i am very happy the wanderers won the championship and premiership however the actual season ended about 5 weeks ago and that means i have no more football to look forward to for a while.

i need to expand my hobbies because nothing feels exciting anymore, even when the wanderers score a goal my reaction is usually very muted

Do you live near a railway station.

2 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Do you have reasonable public transport to a railway station.

i think its like 3 buses a day or something, the issue is i get anxious taking the bus so i try to avoid it

recently i was the kind of person who would feel depressed but wouldnt complain now i am back to the whiny bitch i have always been, i made so much progress and now its all gone

My suggestion was going to be there are various train trips you can do and one that may be of interest was to the Blue Mountains and get out at different walking tracks.

I know so people who this and you can do it by yourself or join a walking group.... however this appears out due to access to a station...

Do you have a library close by or within an easy reach...

2 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

Unccygoatbloom!  Get GT Sport n play that online! That will cover your Motorsport n gaming fix. I haven’t played for ages but will get back into it when I get back from Radelaide next week. We can race each other at Bathurst!  :xnod: