What Really Grinds My Gears 5

7 hours ago, wendybr said:

I once taught a kid who worked for  KFC.

He SAID that he and his co-workers used to have spitting competitions...as they deep fried the chicken.

Sorry!

Just saying. :meep:

How long ago? He was probably lying, they pressure fry in closed friers. Not that it matters since spit is just water so it would instantly evaporate at the temperatures you need to cook chicken or anything else in the oil.

3 minutes ago, mack said:

How long ago? He was probably lying, they pressure fry in closed friers. Not that it matters since spit is just water so it would instantly evaporate at the temperatures you need to cook chicken or anything else in the oil.

Couple of decades ago! 

Yes - nothing of their mischief would have been able to do any damage ...but it wasn't a pleasant thought.

PS  Sure - he could have said it for the shock value.;)

9 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

I could easily be vegetarian if I lived in India...Indian vegetarian food is delicious.

I mean I wouldn't, because I also really like Indian non-vegetarian food...but I could.

India is on my list of places I want to go one day, go to Goa, grown my hair long again, dig out my old bandanas, and trip out 60's style with a few spliffs and some vegie curry and cold Kingfisher beer...

10 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

I've been to a few in Harris Park back in the day, but I can't remember the names...

Only been in Harris Park since 2012. And would be newer in Bella Vista I think.

LOTS of Indian people eat at the Bella Vista restaurant - which is always a good sign.

Everything is very streamlined...they call it fast food - and it is in a way - the food is out in a few minutes. :)

https://www.goodfood.com.au/chatkazz-harris-park/chatkazz-20151113-4681h

EDITED THE DATE ABOVE.

21 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

India is on my list of places I want to go one day, go to Goa, grown my hair long again, dig out my old bandanas, and trip out 60's style with a few spliffs and some vegie curry and cold Kingfisher beer...

Goa is not what it used to be anymore (not that I was there back in the day, but from what you hear...)...it's a tourist trap now although there are still supposed to be some secluded spots. 

Yeah India is a massive bucket list item for me...when I was growing up there I didn't really see much apart from near where I lived...so much to explore in a country the size of Europe (if you don't include Russia)! I do have the urge kinda like you every now & then to just retire (at 29) to the hills in the North and spend my days meditating. 

The Indian restaurant I used to always go to was Billoos in Parra...pretty sure there was a shooting there a few years ago...

I once went to a vegan (Malaysian?) restaurant. Food was pretty good, I'm a big fan of soy/tofu but I find it odd that most of the menu was IMITATION CHICKEN/BEEF.

When I was about ten I saw my godfather slaughter a screaming pig in front of me in his front yard. The blood ran all the way down the sloped driveway onto the main road, and the pig was twitching for a long time after. I think that experience made me realize that "steak" and "chicken tendies" don't grow in the shop but come from an actual living animal.

I still eat meat pretty much every day though lol. And to add to the curry topic: pretty much anything in curry tastes amazing. Indian cuisine is probably my favourite.

Edited by Valter43
9 hours ago, luisenrique said:

I could easily be vegetarian if I lived in India...Indian vegetarian food is delicious.

I mean I wouldn't, because I also really like Indian non-vegetarian food...but I could.

Ditto. I was in India 9 years ago and the vege food was really good. It helps when you've got hundreds of millions of people that eat it all the time.

-----

India is an enigma to me. When I left, I swore I'd never go back (the corruption and overbearing touts left a bad taste). However, the longer I'm away, the more I want to go back.

6 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Their not so cute and adorable  when they grow up.  

Yes I've seen them in the north of Scotland, and I know they are not so appealing as adults...but I'd never seen the young 'uns before!

Fair work Commission Australia.....now I don't want chaos and I don't want to see strikes for the sake of it....but I knew as soon as the train strike was called that the Fair Work Commission would declare it illegal, dead cert. Now this makes me feel a little bit uneasy probably based on my Middlesbrough Labour highly union influenced background, my mothers family that worked in the steel mills especially.....The 'Fair work commission' I understand no doubt does some very good things and over the course of its life has righted many wrongs...but to me it seems like a agency that  works with the governments vested interests and will override and make illegal pretty much any strike action, Maggie would have loved something like that, but then the strikers prob would have ignored her anyway so Maggie would have sent in the police or even the army.

Some here will know more about this Fair work commission, but yeah. 

52 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

Fair work Commission Australia.....now I don't want chaos and I don't want to see strikes for the sake of it....but I knew as soon as the train strike was called that the Fair Work Commission would declare it illegal, dead cert. Now this makes me feel a little bit uneasy probably based on my Middlesbrough Labour highly union influenced background, my mothers family that worked in the steel mills especially.....The 'Fair work commission' I understand no doubt does some very good things and over the course of its life has righted many wrongs...but to me it seems like a agency that  works with the governments vested interests and will override and make illegal pretty much any strike action, Maggie would have loved something like that, but then the strikers prob would have ignored her anyway so Maggie would have sent in the police or even the army.

Some here will know more about this Fair work commission, but yeah. 

The Gov has been stacking the current commission with lots of people who are very much on the side of business.

16 minutes ago, Carns said:

The Gov has been stacking the current commission with lots of people who are very much on the side of business.

I suspect on individual cases of unfair dismissal or treatment they prob do ok, but with issues like this they are basically just a government tool on the side of business as you say making it basically impossible to go on strike.

Edited by WSWBoro
16 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

How exactly can the Fair Work Commission stop a union going on strike? :unknw:

it can stop a "legal" strike because of the Fair Work Act 2009 and in particular Section 424 which can make an order stopping a strike because it would "endanger life" or "cause significant damage". Just in case that section isn't enough, the relevant minister can also do exactly the same thing on his own with section 431. Contravening that order would open a striker and the people at the body corporate (ie, the Union) to individual imprisonment of 10 years and a million dollar fine, and for the Union itself $5.25 million in a fine.

It's disgraceful.

4 minutes ago, mack said:

it can stop a "legal" strike because of the Fair Work Act 2009 and in particular Section 424 which can make an order stopping a strike because it would "endanger life" or "cause significant damage". Just in case that section isn't enough, the relevant minister can also do exactly the same thing on his own with section 431. Contravening that order would open a striker and the people at the body corporate (ie, the Union) to individual imprisonment of 10 years and a million dollar fine, and for the Union itself $5.25 million in a fine.

It's disgraceful.

Thanks Mack

I just found it odd as I remember other strikes, mainly teacher strikes when I was in high school

6 minutes ago, mack said:

It's disgraceful.

That's appalling.

I don't suppose anyone has seriously taken on the FWC then.

38 minutes ago, mack said:

It's disgraceful.

Indeed it is, government control of the people via something that sounds like it is working in everyone's best interests.

The 10 years imprisonment thing is probably why the Union boss was stood on the steps of the building afterwards and stated 'he accepted the decision'. He looked like he had been neutered, all he needed was a cap to doff.

No one ******* notices when these policies get pushed through and rights are

Anyway, I will keep the red flag flying lol

34 minutes ago, wendybr said:

What about stop work meetings to discuss union issues with the membership? For an hour or so?

Illegal too?

Unpaid aren't they? If I stopped for something like that at work I think I would need to declare it and it would not be considered paid time.

11 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

Unpaid aren't they? If I stopped for something like that at work I think I would need to declare it and it would not be considered paid time.

Yes- that's what teachers have done in the past instead of striking - but it's a stop work meeting.

The meetings are held in clubs etc - so that as many members are able to attend to vote on proposals as possible - with video addresses - and then the people at the local meetings vote on whatever is being proposed.

Some good comments at the bottom of the SMH article on the FWC lol Many hold the same view as me it seems.

Interesting to read about who runs the FWC and so on, so stacked against ordinary workers. 

But in the meantime the SMH has an article on more billionaires are moving to Australia than anywhere else in the world.....so thats ok then. Just keep those train drivers going at all costs and hard to the the grind stone....can't stop for one day lads..sorry,

Edited by WSWBoro
8 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Yes- that's what teachers have done in the past instead of striking - but it's a stop work meeting.

The meetings are held in clubs etc - so that as many members are able to attend to vote on proposals as possible - with video addresses - and then the people at the local meetings vote on whatever is being proposed.

They've always been at the start of the day - so parents are told school starts at recess.etc and teachers go straight from the meetings to work.

Probably docked a couple of hours pay...from memory..