AFL Thread 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Swans are playing GWS today and in the lead-up I heard a commentator say that the Sydney derby has gone/turned "the full circle". Anyone know what this means as it's stumped me.

Could mean GWS are **** again as they were for their first several seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Fans travelling from victoria won't give a **** where it is. If they are making their way up here, what is 40 minutes on the train vs 20 minutes on the tram. Fans of interstate clubs who already live here are not giving up their chance to see their team play for probably the only time in a season because it's at homebush. As if. It's genuinely the hope it just shows what a ****nuckle Shepherd is and always has been in not understanding sydney and western sydney at all.

In fact the biggest numbers interstate fans have brought were played at homebush at ANZ when collingwood fans used to help it just about reach capacity - still the records for AFL games outside the MCG I think.

19 hours ago, marron said:

Fans travelling from victoria won't give a **** where it is. If they are making their way up here, what is 40 minutes on the train vs 20 minutes on the tram. Fans of interstate clubs who already live here are not giving up their chance to see their team play for probably the only time in a season because it's at homebush. As if. It's genuinely the hope it just shows what a ****nuckle Shepherd is and always has been in not understanding sydney and western sydney at all.

In fact the biggest numbers interstate fans have brought were played at homebush at ANZ when collingwood fans used to help it just about reach capacity - still the records for AFL games outside the MCG I think.

I use to remember those big clashes between Sydney Swans and Collingwood where they got 70k at Homebush, I had to go to this game as we had a work function in the Millennium Lounge and we were a sponsor for the Swans.

• 5 weeks later...

Just saw some ad - I don't know what for - about a young girl helping her nan with alzheimers by jigging memories and taking her to the footy.

In it she comes across some photos of her nan playing football for geeling. Her mum says "in the 50s, I think".

They are ******* shameless aren't they. There is no freaking way that was a thing. Just feeding the narrative of the AFL as a pioneer in women's sport with total bullshit.

54 minutes ago, marron said:

So Albo just said that Thursday 22nd will be a public holiday.

Why not the Friday so the whole country gets a long weekend?

Victoria has a public holiday on the 23rd for the grand final already, that's why.

This holiday on Thursday 22nd is just ridiculous lol

Some will chuck a sickie the Friday, but how about families with kids who have to keep kids ticking over going to school. Schools in NSW will be open as usual the Friday.

Edited by Smoggy
13 hours ago, marron said:

Just saw some ad - I don't know what for - about a young girl helping her nan with alzheimers by jigging memories and taking her to the footy.

In it she comes across some photos of her nan playing football for geeling. Her mum says "in the 50s, I think".

They are ******* shameless aren't they. There is no freaking way that was a thing. Just feeding the narrative of the AFL as a pioneer in women's sport with total bullshit.

The ad is for Google

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Carns said:

Just read that, very disgraceful by Hawthorn to do this to their First Nations players. But Hawthorn aren’t first and only club that has done this.

NRL clubs are just as guilty, especially with their Polynesian players. Talented Polynesian players at 15 or 16 are signed by the NRL clubs and with the cash they get, they knock up their girlfriends and become dads by 16 or 17, the NRL clubs release them as they cannot handle the responsibilities as both a player and a parent at a very young age so the players give up on their footy careers and end up working in dead end jobs to support their families.

35 minutes ago, Carns said:

I'm curious whether there will be any genuine repercussions for it. The coaches should probably lose their jobs (even though they've all moved on to different clubs) but I can't see it happening.

The players may be able to make a civil case against the club and the coaches.

In terms of the AFL, in any decent organisation they would be gone and never welcomed back. Because it's the AFL they'll probably end up doing some light diversity training, put out an apology saying things like "that's not what we're about" (even though they did it and it's exactly what they're about), then move on as if nothing happened.

23 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Horrible sport run by horrible people. Hate it.

One of the reasons I love WSF is that we share a hatred of this sport and have an outlet for it :D Before this and when I first came here I was told following AFL was the done thing... pfffttt.

Guarantee those same people would say football is boring, for 'Sheilas Wogs and Poofters' or a foreign game. Small mindedness.