Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

1 minute ago, WestSyd said:

One thing I did notice at Gombau's Adelaide team was that Galekovic was a sweeper keeper who communicated well with his defenders. Something Janjetovic is crap at. Also our central defenders are extremely slow which doesn't help. 

We can talk about getting new forwards, wingers etc, but the defence needs to be fixed first. This will give the teams more confidence during games.

Yes as long as we are conceding 4 goals a game we aren’t going to win much. 

If he’s going to stubbornly stick with this philosophy, system, process etc. Then we need a new centre back or two before anything else.

I like conrnthwaite but he ain’t the man for this system 

Also it’s starting to drive me mad that every other Ted, on twitter goes on about “see what he did at Adelaide, give him time...” They didn’t win the A League yet they are being spoken about if they are some sort of combination of Barcelona and the 1970 Brazil team 

Rofl janjetovic your blaming him now seriously he’s the only reason the games haven’t finished 10- zip personally I think he’s too good for the a league blame those dinosaurs I mean defenders 1st of all 

our problem the crappy foreigners we’ve signed hello!!!!! If u ain’t attacking your getting whipped 

54 minutes ago, JayZko said:

Rofl janjetovic your blaming him now seriously he’s the only reason the games haven’t finished 10- zip personally I think he’s too good for the a league blame those dinosaurs I mean defenders 1st of all 

our problem the crappy foreigners we’ve signed hello!!!!! If u ain’t attacking your getting whipped 

Vedran was ace in the derby kept it to single figures, he was dreadul against the jets but I don’t really blame him, someone is telling him to throw the ball out in crazy situations ( see the one were he threw it straight to jets player)

our problem amongst others is we have two Centre backs and a keeper being told to play out when they aren’t capable of it. 

You can have all the arttackers you want if you keep handing the ball back on the edge of your own area you are screwed 

We either play a different system (he’s too stubborn for that) or we get players who can do it. Or Thwaite suddenly discovers his other foot

4 hours ago, JayZko said:

Well what can I say he’s been our best foreign striker that doesn’t mean much

service is nonsense abosolute nonsense opposition teams just bunch up in the box make it impossible to cross and header it’s cheap 

the thing is we don’t have a nico Martinez no10 there’s no midfield or winger who’s absolutely boss

they have to change the system too a 4-4-2 and simply grind out results because we’ve signed so poorly I blame popa the only positive is if we play 442 hopefully we can start Scott every game may as well the season she’s a ride off

Have you gone off your meds or something?

Service is nonsense? The delivery into the box has dried up and now the goals have to. ******* shocker. How exactly to you think strikers score goals? But your answer is to switch to a formation that would see a gombau coached side pumping long balls... is this Togo along with other realistic ideas like recruiting awer Mabil?

Rofl

I’m going to **** on my own product here the only reason we can’t get forward lack of pace and malice in midfield we need a no10 and a winger although crossing and heading won’t get u a lot of goals in the aleague because it’s rubbish the defending team will always have too many body’s behind the ball to go on the counter look at the smurfs they just stand behind the ball they couldn’t care how much ball they got 

Edited by JayZko
17 minutes ago, JayZko said:

Rofl

I’m going to **** on my own product here the only reason we can’t get forward lack of pace and malice in midfield we need a no10 and a winger although crossing and heading won’t get u a lot of goals in the aleague because it’s rubbish the defending team will always have too many body’s behind the ball to go on the counter look at the smurfs they just stand behind the ball they couldn’t care how much ball they got 

Now you’re speaking some sense!

I still disagree on the heading issue, simply because we’ve seen it done. Whilst teams bunch the box we’ve seen Riera’s intelligence at play to lose those defenders very easily for exactly reason you said, because they’re ****.

17 minutes ago, JayZko said:

Rofl

Apart from the two headed goals we scored against them..

until gombau took over I would have said that was the biggest issue with the team was lack of a number 10, that would completed a decent squad.

Now with Gombau Philosophy ball, we need a new centre backs, so far he’s binned Cornthwaite, tried to get Thwaite to play in a way that he can’t and totally destroyed aspro.

39 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Vedran was ace in the derby kept it to single figures, he was dreadul against the jets but I don’t really blame him, someone is telling him to throw the ball out in crazy situations ( see the one were he threw it straight to jets player)

our problem amongst others is we have two Centre backs and a keeper being told to play out when they aren’t capable of it. 

You can have all the arttackers you want if you keep handing the ball back on the edge of your own area you are screwed 

We either play a different system (he’s too stubborn for that) or we get players who can do it. Or Thwaite suddenly discovers his other foot

A lot of the problem is that the defenders can't even play the ball to each other without feeling the need to constantly go back to Janjetovic all the time. Tiny bit of pressure from the opposing striker, and you can see the stress the defence feels under. Aspro would have to be most nervous defender in the league, Hamill  the most mistake prone and the Janjetovic to Cornthwaite passes are u/10 stuff. Especially when Cornthwaite just boots it long. So nothing is achieved.

The other problem is the lack of mobility in the midfielders, wingers and forwards who aren't finding space, making themselves available and running into positions which makes the job of the defence easier to play out. 

I know you are saying play to your players strength. We could bring back Foxe and come 5th or 6th in this league. Get knocked out in the finals and be happy that we played to our strengths. But we would just be a mediocre team. Or we could introduce a system to see which players can handle playing an up tempo way, and then recruit other necessary players to add to that. We might suffer a bit, but later down the track we would have players who are here to push themselves and play.

18 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

We have 2 former Socceroo centre backs, the Australian right back and a left back who played top flight Greek league yet we can’t defend 

It's part of the process, apparently.

Defence was always our strength. Then came Borda, and went. But somehow everyone at the back is being made look like Borda. 

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

So back to useless speculation then.

Burns got no game time at all in Japan after his mid season signing. Sanfrecce might look to offload him?

Antonis has played two cup games at VVV Venlo. Is there any point in another half season loan or do we look at something more long term? At this point Australia has to look good if he can’t cut it in Eredivise

If we could get Antonis that would be ace, we can think of long term in our incredibly long Australian offseason

given a World Cup coming up Antonis should be despeate to play 

in the spirit of baseless speculation, given it is a given that we are going to continue with philosophy ball. Who do we get as a centre back, the only Australian I can think of is spira, unless we can offload Jumpei and free up a foreign spot 

1 hour ago, WestSyd said:

A lot of the problem is that the defenders can't even play the ball to each other without feeling the need to constantly go back to Janjetovic all the time. Tiny bit of pressure from the opposing striker, and you can see the stress the defence feels under. Aspro would have to be most nervous defender in the league, Hamill  the most mistake prone and the Janjetovic to Cornthwaite passes are u/10 stuff. Especially when Cornthwaite just boots it long. So nothing is achieved.

The other problem is the lack of mobility in the midfielders, wingers and forwards who aren't finding space, making themselves available and running into positions which makes the job of the defence easier to play out. 

I know you are saying play to your players strength. We could bring back Foxe and come 5th or 6th in this league. Get knocked out in the finals and be happy that we played to our strengths. But we would just be a mediocre team. Or we could introduce a system to see which players can handle playing an up tempo way, and then recruit other necessary players to add to that. We might suffer a bit, but later down the track we would have players who are here to push themselves and play.

I’m all for evolving, get a new centre back in jan and start playing out a bit more and tweak as you go, make big changes in off season. 

But you said it, our defence couldnt play out without going back to Vedran.  I’m at a loss as what was gained out of that performance 

13 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

If we could get Antonis that would be ace, we can think of long term in our incredibly long Australian offseason

given a World Cup coming up Antonis should be despeate to play 

in the spirit of baseless speculation, given it is a given that we are going to continue with philosophy ball. Who do we get as a centre back, the only Australian I can think of is spira, unless we can offload Jumpei and free up a foreign spot 

Its never going to happen, but Osama Malik would be awesome as a ball playing CB!

2 hours ago, WestSyd said:

If you don't score goals you ain't going to win. If you defend poorly you will lose.

So far Gombau has combined these two features, and destabilised individual players, the playing group, the fan base, and maybe even the club proper in the process. 

He is a toxic idiot. 

If you see your GP to sort out a skin rash, you don't expect to walk out the surgery with third degree burns, hair falling out, a bleeding bum hole, ongoing dizzy spells, and talk about a stomach transplant. 

You would not accept this as part of the healing process. You'd sue that guy for malpractice, and go to a different GP.

#SayNoToLunacyAtWsw. Gombau out. 

Edited by FCB
6 minutes ago, FCB said:

If you don't score goals you ain't going to win. If you defend poorly you will lose.

So far Gombau has combined these two features, and destabilised individual players, the playing group, the fan base, and maybe even the club proper in the process. 

He is a toxic idiot. 

If you see your GP to sort out a skin rash, you don't expect to walk out the surgery with third degree burns, hair falling out, a bleeding bum hole, ongoing dizzy spells, and talk about a stomach transplant. 

You would not accept this as part of the healing process. You'd sue that guy for malpractice, and go to a different GP.

Cmon get off the fence, do you like him or not?

top rant that one

the use of bleeding bum hole is beautiful imagery 

Edited by StringerBellend
2 hours ago, FCB said:

He is a toxic idiot. 

You need to come out and say what you really mean .....lol

#Gombauin @ Get rid of popa s crap players @ and didn't we love only 4 wins and 17 losses in season 3 under popa @ ******* short memories.

WSW 27 4 6 17 29 44 -15 18
Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, sonar said:

You need to come out and say what you really mean .....lol

#Gombauin @ Get rid of popa s crap players @ and didn't we love only 4 wins and 17 losses in season 3 under popa @ ******* short memories.

WSW 27 4 6 17 29 44 -15 18

Season 3! The ACL win was nice after that players were totally rooted. Even in that season we didn’t get bummed 5-0 in a derby. Popa’s worst Season was the last one and that was a dreadful squad until we got Antonis in 

37 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Season 3! The ACL win was nice after that players were totally rooted. Even in that season we didn’t get bummed 5-0 in a derby. Popa’s worst Season was the last one and that was a dreadful squad until we got Antonis in 

lol

But,But,But Popa was better than Gombau don't you know, he never lost, his players never played crap, his recruitment was first class, Lost 17 games and it's ....I know it's.......... gombau fault....the bastard was even influencing our results years ago.lol?  AND the players ALWAYS put in.

Pio hat trick on NYD...lol

Edited by sonar
4 hours ago, FCB said:

He is a toxic idiot. 

So I talk about the weaknesses in the playing group, and then you go on anti Gombau rant. Remember last season we got pumped a couple of times pretty badly against SFC and Melbourne Victory. The majority of the games last season were spent fading out in the second half. Even this season with Foxe we were again fading out in the second half and getting whipped pretty badly. Followed up by that tragic FFA Cup semi final where Adelaide gave us a lesson. Draws were actually a good result for us because we seemed to be hanging on in every game.

Last season we were rescued by Antonis and Janjetovic in, which in turn helped Niko find his game, and then Santa kept defying belief about his age by still scoring at an unbelievable rate. This season Antonis and Niko are gone, Santa is a year older and just keep doing it anymore, and Janjetovic is stuck with his defence. Any coach we have this year won't win anything with this playing group. The recruitment was simply poor. 

I will make my mind up about Gombau once he gets a few players he needs in key positions, and the ring leaders from this playing group have disappeared. Hopefully we will see in the new month. Those bleeding bum holes you refer to were all those times in the last year and a half we were getting raped by opposing teams in the second half of games.

i can understand those saying 'have faith - gombau takes time' etc but I can't understand the 'players are crap' line of thinking (talking about ability not attitude here)

we were absolutely destroyed by a team that has some very marginal players like nabbout boogard and hoffman at the weekend while we have.....

- current socceroo right back
- experienced former socceroo centre back (who was excellent second half of last season)
- la liga striker who has scored the most of any number 9 we have had
- experienced midifelder who is championship quality when fit
- best sub striker in the league
- la liga right winger
- centre mid discussed a possible fringe socceroo

these same players were better than the likely league winners in 2-2 draw 6 weeks ago, many are well credentialed, experienced and absolutely a-league quality. yes they were another manager's choice but so what - any manager at this level should be able to cobble together a competent and competitive side out of what we have. so far we have been anything but.

I guess for me the 3 grand finals 1 premiership and acl win bought the guy some credit. 

Im totally willing to join the in gombau we trust cult when he demonstrates something more than us getting snotted 5 and 4 nil.. and open player revolt

Hopefully he gets the players he needs in jan, as not taking the just wait until next year, look what he did in the highly competitive Hong Kong League 

Like I say I’d absolutely love it if he has us playing Craig Foster wet dream footy

Edited by StringerBellend
14 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I guess for me the 3 grand finals 1 premiership and acl win bought the guy some credit. 

Im totally willing to join the in gombau we trust cult when he demonstrates something more than us getting snotted 5 and 4 nil.. and open player revolt

Hopefully he gets the players he needs in jan, as not taking the just wait until next year, look what he did in the highly competitive Hong Kong League 

Like I say I’d absolutely love it if he has us playing Craig Foster wet dream footy

Didn't you know that Gombau is the devil incarnate.  ! Such evil power the man has to influence people, fans, players.  We don't go to games anymore we go to Josep's Satanic Masses. 

And I really loved the floggings in the ACL last season, you know those games.....5-0, 6-1 losses and the 4-0 and 3-0 beatings by the smurfs and victory.......... but they weren't floggings were they.?

It's ALL Gombaus fault. He's evil you know....!   

:rofl:

Just now, sonar said:

Didn't you know that Gombau is the devil incarnate.  ! Such evil power the man has to influence people, fans, players.  We don't go to games anymore we go to Josep's Satanic Masses. 

And I really loved the floggings in the ACL last season, you know those games.....5-0, 6-1 losses and the 4-0 and 3-0 beatings by the smurfs and victory.......... but they weren't floggings were they.?

It's ALL Gombaus fault. He's evil you know....!   

:rofl:

Now you mention it he does have a disturbing smile..

31 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

i can understand those saying 'have faith - gombau takes time' etc but I can't understand the 'players are crap' line of thinking (talking about ability not attitude here)

we were absolutely destroyed by a team that has some very marginal players like nabbout boogard and hoffman at the weekend while we have.....

- current socceroo right back
- experienced former socceroo centre back (who was excellent second half of last season)
- la liga striker who has scored the most of any number 9 we have had
- experienced midifelder who is championship quality when fit
- best sub striker in the league
- la liga right winger
- centre mid discussed a possible fringe socceroo

these same players were better than the likely league winners in 2-2 draw 6 weeks ago, many are well credentialed, experienced and absolutely a-league quality. yes they were another manager's choice but so what - any manager at this level should be able to cobble together a competent and competitive side out of what we have. so far we have been anything but.

And if the players are unable to adapt...? Jumpei,Sotirio...?  But it's Gombau fault they're crap right.

And the FFA Cup.

v theNix...120min winner. We absolutey steamrolled them....lol

So given he’s here now and he’s going to keep playing kamikaze football from the back. And also given JT has said (somewhat unconvincingly) we are still trying to get something out of the season. 

Any ideas what player movement is likely?

We need a decent player rumour to cheer us up and not Tarek Elrich 

• mack unpinned this topic