Armageddon Thread

marron

Great, thank you…another variant I had never heard the name of until now.

I have gone from no state press conferences during the day to no covid news at all until after 5pm.

Seriously, if you kept up with covid news24 and all the daily political bullshyte you would go maaaddddd :crazy:

Edited by Smoggy
On 08/08/2021 at 11:32 AM, Paul01 said:

Watching the NSW Premier, such deflection from answering questions. Utter B***S*** from that woman. 

5j3gas.jpg

I think there's a similarity between Gladys and Governor Mary Bailey

Maybe explains why people like her a little more than say Scott Morrison

17 hours ago, Midfielder said:

The Lambda strain, looks to be far worse than Delta.

My biggest concern today aside from the speed or more lack there of … for the vaccine roll out…. Is the effect this is having on many small businesses.  The Feds seem devoid of leadership and forward planning, all the time claiming to be business gov.

I offer no solution nor have any recommendations on how to fix. I simply acknowledge that many businesses folk who by and large drive the economy [public servants and bankers work they don’t create wealth] but these people who employ over 50% of the workforce. Many [obviously not all] are experiencing very hard times and many will go bankrupt, that’s not good for the nation.

A couple of links below on Lambda and a part copy and paste from the second link

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210730/Scientists-suspect-Lambda-SARS-CoV-2-variant-most-dangerous.aspx

Lambda variant shows vaccine resistance

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/delta-infections-among-vaccinated-likely-contagious-lambda-variant-shows-vaccine-2021-08-02/

The Lambda variant of the coronavirus, first identified in Peru and now spreading in South America, is highly infectious and more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus the emerged from Wuhan, China, Japanese researchers have found.

Although it is not clear yet whether this variant is more dangerous than the Delta now threatening populations in many countries, senior researcher Kei Sato of the University of Tokyo believes "Lambda can be a potential threat to the human society."

https://www.csiro.au/en/news/News-releases/2021/Lambda-coronavirus-variant

According CSIRO it has been reported in Australia. Still so many unknowns.

Slipping further.

This link is for how countries are tracking on vaccines ..

If you click on the far right column i.e the percentage column..

Then keep at the bottom of the link adding more countries by my count we are 113 in the world.

I knew it was bad but 113 FFS, we can't even make the top 100.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+people+in+australia+have+been+vaccinated&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU802AU802&oq=how&aqs=chrome.1.69i59l3j69i57j0i131i433i512j69i60l2j69i61.3975j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So, i haven't looked properly at the inquiry that Hazzard and Chant fronted up to today as yet.

But I have skimmed across it and anyone remember that Yes Minister episode where Humphrey and Hacker go to give evidence at a committee and Humphrey gives a lesson to Jim about how to answer a question, but without really answering it... but getting the committee chair to think he answered it :D Lots of this kind of thing...

Except Hazzard is no Humphrey.

And you cannot do it properly without Gladys fronting the committee.

Its just spin so that they can say down the track there has already been  an inquiry and no more questions to answer.

Edited by Smoggy
2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

So, i haven't looked properly at the inquiry that Hazzard and Chant fronted up to today as yet.

But I have skimmed across it and anyone remember that Yes Minister episode where Humphrey and Hacker go to give evidence at a committee and Humphrey gives a lesson to Jim about how to answer a question, but without really answering it... but getting the committee chair to think he answered it :D Lots of this kind of thing...

Except Hazzard is no Humphrey.

And you cannot do it properly without Gladys fronting the committee.

Its just spin so that they can say down the track there has already been  an inquiry and no more questions to answer.

Brilliant tv show this was

Dubbo goes into snap lockdown

Conclusion 

Gladys has f***ed up, again.

Dictator Daniel Andrews was right, ring of steel was required 

Block the M1, the Princess Highway, the Hume Highway, the Putty Road and the Great Western Highway. About 95% of travel out of Greater Sydney shut without an exemption. 

Gold standard f*** up from Berejiklian.

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Note the headline in the SMH also...'The health minister made his annoyance abundantly clear at an inquiry into his government's handling of the COVID-19 outbreak'....

Gladys leads the government, but it is clear Hazzard is being set up as the fall guy.

a Hazzard of the job if you will :P

On 01/08/2021 at 9:19 AM, sonar said:

I have to dip me lid to CaptainJess for info re glasses fogging up. You can buy a cloth that when you use it they don't fog up up. Works.

You’re welcome! 

This is my one bug-bear with wearing a mask given I am a full-time glasses wearer. Even when my mask fits near perfectly, I still get a little condensation from time to time.  

Best investment I made was buying a few packets of Speedo anti-fog wipes from Rebel Sport. A swimmer friend recommended them and it has been life changing. They are designed for goggles, but work perfectly on glasses. 

Only $5-7 and you can re-use up to 30 times. 

https://speedo.com.au/product/antifog-wipes/8_097440003A.html

40 minutes ago, FCB said:

345 - another strong performance by the NSW government sponsored COVID distribution strategy.

Persisting with the lockdow rules by LGA thing I see.

The decisions that have been made since June only leave me to assume that the NSW gov decided to let delta rip at a level and chase vaccinations against that.

It just looks like a bloody mess to me.

All the bullshite about this delta being something unexpected to them and something new. What happened to watching and learning from what happens overseas...

Delta and what it does was blatantly obvious to everyone long before a limo driver decided to go for a spin with it.

Edited by Smoggy
27 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Persisting with the lockdow rules by LGA thing I see.

The decisions that have been made since June only leave me to assume that the NSW gov decided to let delta rip at a level and chase vaccinations against that.

It just looks like a bloody mess to me.

All the bullshite about this delta being something unexpected to them and something new. What happened to watching and learning from what happens overseas...

Delta and what it does was blatantly obvious to everyone long before a limo driver decided to go for a spin with it.

This is shaping up to be worse than I feared six weeks ago. It looks like Gladys' attempt to appeasing the business-friendly COVID-deniers and lockdown-opponents in her party, hence the mockdown measures. We might be witness to a catastrophe unfolding, with Delta now kicking off the party in regional NSW where vaccination rates are low and infrastructure (hospitals etc) is stretched.

We are governed by morons.

24 minutes ago, FCB said:

This is shaping up to be worse than I feared six weeks ago. It looks like Gladys' attempt to appeasing the business-friendly COVID-deniers and lockdown-opponents in her party, hence the mockdown measures. We might be witness to a catastrophe unfolding, with Delta now kicking off the party in regional NSW where vaccination rates are low and infrastructure (hospitals etc) is stretched.

We are governed by morons.

I was listening to bbc radio this morning. They had one of those expert epidemiologists on and asked to comment on Australia. Went along the lines of 'while they are not experts on Australia, they are surprised and a bit shocked by the NSW approach'.....

The same coming out of NZ this morning..WHO a bit quiet on this..

Its going to hurt NZ but wouldn't be opening to Australia for a good while if i were them!

Edited by Smoggy

Good god, the rule where you are allowed to leave lockdown to look at property. What a ******* thing.

Meanwhile, KPMG have been employed to develop plans to send kids back to school. Our money flung at a private leeching HR consulting cesspit to ignore health advice for idealogical reasons. Love how this neo-lib freedom bullshit is panning out. 

From Ross Giitins SMH... 2 days ago:

Yet going early and strong is just what Berejiklian failed to do. Why? Because of all the pressure she was under from her own side to be a true Liberal and control the problem without resorting to lockdowns or border closures.

That pressure started at the top with Scott Morrison and his ministers, but was eagerly pursued by the business lobbies and business’ media cheer squad. In his efforts to score points off Andrews, no one worked harder than Treasurer Josh Frydenberg to propagate the mythology that only Labor premiers were so dictatorial and disregarding of business wellbeing as to lockdown and close state borders at the first sneeze, whereas Liberal premiers knew how to get results with superior testing and contact tracing.

10 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Yet going early and strong is just what Berejiklian failed to do. Why? Because of all the pressure she was under from her own side to be a true Liberal and control the problem without resorting to lockdowns or border closures.

That pressure started at the top with Scott Morrison and his ministers, but was eagerly pursued by the business lobbies and business’ media cheer squad. In his efforts to score points off Andrews, no one worked harder than Treasurer Josh Frydenberg to propagate the mythology that only Labor premiers were so dictatorial and disregarding of business wellbeing as to lockdown and close state borders at the first sneeze, whereas Liberal premiers knew how to get results with superior testing and contact tracing.

I would imagine that Perrotwat was in on this as well.

Just looked at the numbers, and since the beginning of the pandemic NSW has had 11,902 cases. 5,351 of those (45%) have happened in the last 28 days.

We've also had 89 deaths, with 33 of them (37%) happening in the last 28 days.

4 out of the last 6 days have had over 300 cases, and that's just NSW, so getting over 2,000 cases a week seems likely. The worst week of the pandemic so far was 3,383 back in February last year.

1 hour ago, Ossified said:

I didn't realise Ross Gittens was still at SMH. His definitely one of the few good journalist out there.

1 hour ago, Davo said:

Just looked at the numbers, and since the beginning of the pandemic NSW has had 11,902 cases. 5,351 of those (45%) have happened in the last 28 days.

We've also had 89 deaths, with 33 of them (37%) happening in the last 28 days.

4 out of the last 6 days have had over 300 cases, and that's just NSW, so getting over 2,000 cases a week seems likely. The worst week of the pandemic so far was 3,383 back in February last year.

I think the majority of those Feb cases last year were not local ones.