Armageddon Thread

marron

4 minutes ago, sonar said:

:D

No need to go back to 1901 just send Morrison back 12 months and he can get the shitload of Pfizer he neglected to secure.......build a dedicated quarantine facility for arrivals so we can end the stupidity of hotel quarantine. 

If we did that we'd all be vaccinated by now. and the Delta variant wouldn't be running amok.

The Liberal party mantra is " WE decide who comes to this country and the manner in which they arrive."....except when they **** it up then it's "the states" fault. 

Gee this extreme hatred of Morrison is a kinda worrying not for him but for you guys. Take it easy it's no good for your overall wellbeing. I assume that none of you has covid.

Last time I checked Mandrake the Magician is not available to fix each and every nuance of covid and not make any errors of judgement on occasions , all without the privilege of knowing the rationale behind those decisions.

Of course other countries around the world obviously haven't had the benefit of Mandrake either , have they.

6 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Gee this extreme hatred of Morrison is a kinda worrying not for him but for you guys. Take it easy it's no good for your overall wellbeing. I assume that none of you has covid.

Last time I checked Mandrake the Magician is not available to fix each and every nuance of covid and not make any errors of judgement on occasions , all without the privilege of knowing the rationale behind those decisions.

Of course other countries around the world obviously haven't had the benefit of Mandrake either , have they.

:rofl:

Edited by sonar

One doesn't have to go back too far: Remember "We're all in this together" bollocks. And a short time later......

Victorians have not forgotten that last year the prime minister, Scott Morrison, described the Melbourne outbreak as the “Victorian wave” and praised the NSW government’s contact tracing system as the “gold standard”. The hashtag #PMforSydney now trends whenever Morrison does a press conference.

They also haven’t forgotten the headline in Sydney’s Daily Telegraph after NSW closed its border to Victoria, which read “Mexicans locked out”, or the cover story on the Australian Financial Review magazine – also, like most of Australia’s national media, based in Sydney – which called Berejiklian “The woman who saved Australia”.

1 hour ago, Ossified said:

They also haven’t forgotten the headline in Sydney’s Daily Telegraph after NSW closed its border to Victoria, which read “Mexicans locked out”, or the cover story on the Australian Financial Review magazine – also, like most of Australia’s national media, based in Sydney – which called Berejiklian “The woman who saved Australia”.

Oh that didn't age well, did it?

https://www.afr.com/politics/why-critics-don-t-faze-the-premier-who-steered-a-nation-20210413-p57iog

In federal political and business circles, Berejiklian is hailed as the Premier who, more than any other, helped keep the country afloat during its darkest hour since the war.

Had NSW, the country’s largest economy, lost control of the coronavirus and been forced into an extended second shutdown, as happened in Victoria, then Australia would be in much worse shape than it is today.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison, to the chagrin of other states, frequently described NSW’s handling of the crisis as the “gold standard”. ...

Unlike any other state leader, Berejiklian ticked all the boxes, says Business Council of Australia (BCA) chief executive Jennifer Westacott.

Her establishment of a world-leading contact tracing system at the outset of the crisis enabled her to make “more considered decisions” than others. “She didn’t shut the whole state down, and she held her ground by not shutting state borders at the drop of a hat,” Westacott says. “She handled the whole thing with precision, thorough professionalism and a whole sense they had this under control.”

And more than any other, she consulted business on key decisions. “She showed you could do it.”

2 hours ago, Ossified said:

Gladys waves away her failure by saying 'some said we should have done it later, some sooner'.

But the ones saying earlier are the states that have successfully suppressed outbreaks, and ones saying later are the Murdoch/Stokes/Channel 9 peanut gallery.

Which failure? Liberal governments don’t make mistakes, and definitely not big ones. 

Covid-19 has exposed the neo liberal money lovers, their responses have created facts. All of that is now massaged by the conservative truth creation marketing machine. 

A year ago I spoke to someone who was instrumental in security for the 2000 olympics. His view how to tackle quarantine back then:

• Establish a regional quarantine centre
  • security personnel to work there for three months (and get paid accordingly)
  • once security personnel contracts are done they would have had to go into quarantine for two weeks before returning home

Instead we had an approach in place which caused all the outbreaks in Sydney and Melbourne. 

That’s what happens when you have governments who want to save money when it comes to the big stuff. That’s what their approaches to quarantine and vaccination was all about. 

Frydenberg last week was asked about Victoria’s COVID lock down last year, and in retrospect how it compared with NSW. All he had to offer was a comment on the death toll in Victoria at the time. What he didn’t say that most of it happened in retirement villages run by the feds. What he also didn’t say was that the Andrews government took over the medical care in those homes in response to the feds’ failures. 

They have no shame! 

44 minutes ago, FCB said:

Frydenberg last week was asked about Victoria’s COVID lock down last year, and in retrospect how it compared with NSW. All he had to offer was a comment on the death toll in Victoria at the time. What he didn’t say that most of it happened in retirement villages run by the feds. What he also didn’t say was that the Andrews government took over the medical care in those homes in response to the feds’ failures. 

They have no shame! 

You really should quit that extreme hatred of Frydenberg :xnod:

Just now, FCB said:

I really would like to know how these guys get out of bed every morning and look in the mirror without throwing up? 

That's just it mate; they look in the mirror and go "what a great self made man I am, and what a great job I am doing giving opportunities to others to make lots of cash which is the goal of life". And in many cases "I'm glad God likes me to have money!". Having a conscience is for saps, their econo-religion tells them it's okay, whether they believe in Rand or Huston, so there's no reason for them to give a ****.

35 minutes ago, FCB said:

I know, he’s such a nice guy, totally misunderstood. He is a true leader, has all the qualities and personality to unite the states and the nation behind him. Does not play politics at all. 

Yeah I do feel a bit sorry for him....I'm sure he has Prime Ministerial aspirations but with Scomo doing such a sterling job he's destined to become the new Peter Costello. :good:

Speaking of Mr. Josh "Australia is back in black" Frydenberg...

The federal treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, whose electorate is in Melbourne, last year described Victoria’s extended lockdown as “the biggest public policy failure by a state government in living memory”. He did not bite when Melbourne-based ABC host Patricia Karvelas asked him this week if that mistake was now rivalled by what NSW was doing, and if Victoria was now the gold standard.

“You need to lock down fast when you get the outbreak of the Delta variant,” Frydenberg said. “Victoria has done that.”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/31/state-v-state-war-of-words-heats-up-over-sydney-and-melbourne-lockdowns

Laughable.

25 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Speaking of Mr. Josh "Australia is back in black" Frydenberg...

They reckon the reason that Morrison announced increase in Government assistance in Sydney but left Frydenberg to do it in Melbourne was so that Joshy can try and save face. Chance he could be in trouble at the next election perhaps? The Libs are very much on the nose there considering everything that has gone on in the pandemic. Mind you, his electorate is considered pretty safe (56% last election).

2 minutes ago, Carns said:

They reckon the reason that Morrison announced increase in Government assistance in Sydney but left Frydenberg to do it in Melbourne was so that Joshy can try and save face. Chance he could be in trouble at the next election perhaps? The Libs are very much on the nose there considering everything that has gone on in the pandemic. Mind you, his electorate is considered pretty safe (56% last election).

Both Morrison and Frydenberg are F***WITS. 

On 24/07/2021 at 8:46 AM, wendybr said:

Not sure whether to put this here, in the "jab" thread...or start a thread where issues related to other heath-maintaining measures besides "jabs" could be discussed. Although that might be labelled as "misinformation", even though it comes from medical people.

Anyway this is.... interesting, and not very encouraging.

An extension of the daily presentations of John Campbell, which I catch each day.

Starts with us (so you can skip that) then at 2.20  he moves on to Israel, which really is the test case for the rest of the world in terms of how a highly vaccinated population fares.

At the end, he talks about aspiration, when injections are delivered. He's done some of his shows on that.

Anyway...he's very easy to listen to, and his audience seems to grow by about a 100,000 every few weeks, with good reason, imho.

What is it with you and YouTube nut jobs? No I haven’t watched 

18 minutes ago, Carns said:

His seat (Kooyoung) was a very unusual one last time around and could be again next time.

First off, there was a purple neolib indepedent (Oliver Yates) who ran a campaign like Zali Steggel did (where they take votes by acting like the LNP except they act nice to minorities and want basic action on climate change) who took 9% of the vote while Frydenberg lost 8%, then the Greens (who ran the high profile immigration lawyer Julian Burnside) ended up as the 2nd party not Labor, with the final result being Frydenberg 55% and the Greens 44%

It'll probably not mean much in the end, that seat has been helped by the LNP or it's predeccessor parties since federation in 1901 but maybe a big enough swing against them could cause problems. Even with that big swing against him, Frydenberg almost won the seat outright on first preferences (he just missed out with 49.41%) so whoever the challenger is, Labor, Greens, or another independent they'll have a fight just to make it competitive. My guess is that 3 years of gentrification and massive house price rises will make keep him safe.

44 minutes ago, mack said:

It'll probably not mean much in the end, that seat has been helped by the LNP or it's predeccessor parties since federation in 1901 but maybe a big enough swing against them could cause problems. Even with that big swing against him, Frydenberg almost won the seat outright on first preferences (he just missed out with 49.41%) so whoever the challenger is, Labor, Greens, or another independent they'll have a fight just to make it competitive. My guess is that 3 years of gentrification and massive house price rises will make keep him safe.

I'd imagine it would be a result almost as significant as Howard losing his own seat in 2007 if he were ousted. It's arguably as blue ribbon as it comes (at least traditionally). I'd assume changing dynamics if the Greens polled so well.

40 minutes ago, FCB said:

Are you saying that you don't believe in father Xmas?

I’m guessing with 2 seconds of googling I’ll find he’s attached to some right wing think tank of a an American “University” I’m not going back down this wormhole 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

I’m guessing with 2 seconds of googling I’ll find he’s attached to some right wing think tank of a an American “University” I’m not going back down this wormhole 

Nah mate Santa's classic Frankfurt school, classic cultural Marxist that fella.

And in Laura Tingle's article the quote sticks in my throat about modelling 

"..not solely from health advice..."

As the COVID crisis deepens, effective advocacy and leadership are missing – and the public is paying the price
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-31/covid-crisis-nsw-pear-shaped-morrison-governent-useful/100338410

This Federal Government is failing to protect Australians by using modelling for a business case.

Simply put without people there is no business.

Saw someone post this on socials, very spot on.

Before anyone gets their nose out of joint. I’m not an anti vaxxer nor a conspiracy theorist but trying to understand the rhetoric downloaded to us each and every day by supposed experts and then the bigger political experts. 

So many discrepancies with this lockdown.
1. We are asked to wear a mask the moment you step out of your home.
2. Wear it in the car even if you are the sole occupant.
3. Now you don’t need to wear it in the car.
4. Wear a mask to take the bins to the curb; not sure who I’m coming across at 10pm.
5. Experts have stated that there isn’t any evidence that the virus has been caught/transmitted in the outdoors. 
6. Wear a mask when exercising/walking outdoors even if you are the only person in sight or pay a fine. Now that has changed again. 
7. Keep your distance when out for essentials.
8. BUT Coles/Woolies self serve registers 1m apart. Up to 10 registers but the first 5 are working instead of having each 2nd one operational.
9. While waiting in queue the s/s registers are not or rarely cleaned after each customer.
10. Each person touching the same surface but that’s ok because you have a mask on?!
My observation is that many of the hotspots are supermarkets and yet the basics are not implemented.
We are asked to checkin and show the “green tick” but the disinfectant wipes are empty as is the sanitiser. 
The trolleys are not sanitised after collection. The screens/touch surfaces are not cleaned between customers.
The required 1.5 meters is not adhered to in the self serve areas.
It’s the same with petrol pumps. No sanitiser/no wipes to protect customers.
All in all the big end of town can do as they please as they rake in our money.
The small businesses are closed as they are supposedly too risky ??
The vaccine advice is changed  and goalposts are moved each week and then they wonder why there is hesitancy?
Hoping that we can eradicate this as we did polio, just not certain we can get this right in a rushed and forceful way. Human nature is to be suspicious of things pushed down their throats particularly when the salesman changes their sales pitch on a daily basis!
And can someone explain to me how these exposed supermarkets supposedly “deep clean “ after a confirmed case that was in store 3 days prior ? How do they deep clean the fresh produce that everyone has picked up , looked at and then left?? 
All in all so much does not add up or make sense. 
I walk around my local shops with everyone doing the right thing so do not understand the reason to use scare tactics by having the police and army wandering around instead of doing more important things. 
Lately 1+1 definitely doesn’t equal 2. 
Stay safe and stay sane people

30 minutes ago, Stokz said:

Saw someone post this on socials, very spot on.

Before anyone gets their nose out of joint. I’m not an anti vaxxer nor a conspiracy theorist but trying to understand the rhetoric downloaded to us each and every day by supposed experts and then the bigger political experts. 

So many discrepancies with this lockdown.
1. We are asked to wear a mask the moment you step out of your home.
2. Wear it in the car even if you are the sole occupant.
3. Now you don’t need to wear it in the car.
4. Wear a mask to take the bins to the curb; not sure who I’m coming across at 10pm.
5. Experts have stated that there isn’t any evidence that the virus has been caught/transmitted in the outdoors. 
6. Wear a mask when exercising/walking outdoors even if you are the only person in sight or pay a fine. Now that has changed again. 
7. Keep your distance when out for essentials.
8. BUT Coles/Woolies self serve registers 1m apart. Up to 10 registers but the first 5 are working instead of having each 2nd one operational.
9. While waiting in queue the s/s registers are not or rarely cleaned after each customer.
10. Each person touching the same surface but that’s ok because you have a mask on?!
My observation is that many of the hotspots are supermarkets and yet the basics are not implemented.
We are asked to checkin and show the “green tick” but the disinfectant wipes are empty as is the sanitiser. 
The trolleys are not sanitised after collection. The screens/touch surfaces are not cleaned between customers.
The required 1.5 meters is not adhered to in the self serve areas.
It’s the same with petrol pumps. No sanitiser/no wipes to protect customers.
All in all the big end of town can do as they please as they rake in our money.
The small businesses are closed as they are supposedly too risky ??
The vaccine advice is changed  and goalposts are moved each week and then they wonder why there is hesitancy?
Hoping that we can eradicate this as we did polio, just not certain we can get this right in a rushed and forceful way. Human nature is to be suspicious of things pushed down their throats particularly when the salesman changes their sales pitch on a daily basis!
And can someone explain to me how these exposed supermarkets supposedly “deep clean “ after a confirmed case that was in store 3 days prior ? How do they deep clean the fresh produce that everyone has picked up , looked at and then left?? 
All in all so much does not add up or make sense. 
I walk around my local shops with everyone doing the right thing so do not understand the reason to use scare tactics by having the police and army wandering around instead of doing more important things. 
Lately 1+1 definitely doesn’t equal 2. 
Stay safe and stay sane people

You make some good points there. There has been far too much inconsistency around things like face masks. I do feel like one of the reasons we are in this mess was the decision by Gladys to ask those in 2 eastern suburb LGA to wear masks only when delta was in the Sydney community. Over the last year or so we had examples of less serious situations where we all had to mask up as a city. The decision to go on this LGA route now, when delta was out, is just baffling and I think was politically motivated. 

Experts seem split on the masks outside requirement. Transmission outside would be very rare, but if someone sneezed in front of you the chance is there I guess. If no one else around you then prob seems pointless, but that’s ok with me as would rather have consistency and over wear a mask at this moment!

In other news, I see the police are saying how great yesterday was after their show of force to stop a protest that was apparently never planned. That was all about photo opportunities for the police to be out on the street looking mean and look effective.

Hazzard is saying NSW can lead the way on vaccine roll out and be the first to 70%. He hasn’t used the words “gold standard vaccine roll out” YET :D But it is being lined up for it.

Edited by Smoggy
15 minutes ago, Stokz said:

I think they might be the experts in Wendy’s YouTube videos. Or these experts ignore the Delta reality. Or both. 

We have a state and federal government who kept telling us about gold standards, and gave us the impression that they had things in the bag. They couldn’t wait to get rid off mask, even though there was ample evidence about airborne transmission. And that’s how Delta spread in Sydney.

Lockdowns in Sydney are mockdowns, we were supposed to stay home but the shops were (are?) open. Our liberal leaders are clearly looking after their buddies in big business, the Gerry Harvey’s. It all flows from there. The Eastern suburbs were treated like a protected species, the southwest like a cancerous growth. No wonder people get confused and the shits. 

And then there’s the human element. The virus is not the problem. People are. And people are stupid, not least the freedom marchers from last weekend. 

When it comes to experts, they guys they have on the ABC have been consistent throughout the pandemic (eg McClaws, Swann) - and they were right. No confusion or mixed messages there. 

I was reading the ABC article about why I shouldn’t be fooled by the falling numbers in the UK, genuinely hoping to find hard data or expert opinion on why I shouldn’t be fooled on this subject. But it’s just a rehash of old comments and views that are not really specific to this opening up test. The between the lines text is ‘we just don’t know’, and so opinion not changed. That is different to ‘not being fooled by the numbers..

Awesome journalism.

Edited by Smoggy
  • mack locked this topic