Television Thread

Guest ZipGunBop

I love the Den! Was meaning to catch the Aussie one, but I've no idea when it's on.

Aussie version is a bit shite.

They ham it up too much with all the dramatic background music.

It's really annoying.

I love the Den! Was meaning to catch the Aussie one, but I've no idea when it's on.

Aussie version is a bit shite.

They ham it up too much with all the dramatic background music.

It's really annoying.

Not seen the Aussie version yet.

Dragons Den is on every Sunday night in the UK, so available from Monday each week in Australia :good:

• 3 weeks later...

The Odd Couple is back, and a new generation is bound to start humming the theme song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt8qQUbzVc

Thomas Lennon as Felix...good casting choice. Love his work in Reno 911: 

https://youtu.be/6HRwsorJ1ek

BTW...anyone watch the first two episodes of the new series of Vikings?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ZipGunBop

I've started watching a series on BBC firsts called "the game".

It's an intelligence agency during the Cold War, trying to uncover a plot.

Cliche I know, but the characters are fantastic, the writing is good and the acting is superbly crafted to give the show an almost permament heightened tension.

Pretty ******* good.

This post could've gone in the History thread...

Best thing I've seen about Gallipoli in recent memory, or to be more correct, about our servicemen and women separated by 100 years, as shown on ABC's 'Four Corners tonight:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2015/04/13/4213384.htm

For the past 100 years, young Australians have grown up hearing the story of the original Anzacs. They know where they fought, the battles they were involved in and the characters that emerged from the brutal campaign as the Anzacs, along with British, Indian and French forces, attempted unsuccessfully to take over the Gallipoli peninsula.

"I think it's hardwired into most Australians that when we think about war, we think about boats turning up on a shore... we think about charging up a hill to kill an enemy." - Former soldier

Far fewer Australians, though, would know with any precision what Australian troops have been doing in Afghanistan for the past 14 years. Thousands of soldiers have left our shores, many have died and many more wounded. And yet, in spite of modern communications, few people would understand exactly what our soldiers have been through.

Why is that? Has the legend of Anzac obscured and overshadowed more recent conflicts, and has it stopped a more complex discussion about Australians experience of war?

This week on Four Corners, reporter Chris Masters tells the story of the nation's first and most recent military campaigns. Drawing on interviews he recorded with Gallipoli veterans for his documentary The Fatal Shore (1988), and combining them with the stories of soldiers who've served in Afghanistan, he searches for the similarities and the differences in the men and women who went to these conflicts and the campaigns they fought.

Soldiers talk about why they joined the Army, why they went to combat zones, what it was like to be sent into combat and what they took from their time in the cauldron of war.

What emerges from these candid reflections is a complex picture of similarities and differences. Asked why young men in 1915 were prepared to go over the top to certain death, one Anzac says:

"I was 100% keen like all were in those days. There was more patriotism in those days than there is now."

Afghanistan veterans might still be patriotic but they make it clear sending men to certain death would run counter to their own psychology and their training.

"As a junior officer I never, ever would have been put in a position where one of my senior officers would have told me to do something so brash and so brazen that it would unnecessarily risk so many lives for so little tactical or strategic gain." - Former Australian Army Officer

Some aspects of the soldiers' experience though never vary. One is the agreement that luck is what you need to survive. The other, that when the chips are down and death is at hand, the reason the soldiers from both eras carried on was simply the over-riding sense of loyalty to their mates.

ANZAC TO AFGHANISTAN, reported

Does anyone here watch vikings??

in the latest episode, ep 9 of season 3..

When the paris people go to execute the viking, 

WOW!!!!!!

THAT WAS INSANE!!!!

never knew that an execution could be funny as well lol

WTF? Has this episode been broadcast in Oz yet? And Nath, a quick look two or three posts back & you'll see a few of us are in the Lagertha fan club...

large.jpg

Netflix, 

is it worth getting or not?
How many shows and movies can you get?

Does anyone here watch vikings??

in the latest episode, ep 9 of season 3..

When the paris people go to execute the viking, 

WOW!!!!!!
THAT WAS INSANE!!!!
never knew that an execution could be funny as well lol

WTF? Has this episode been broadcast in Oz yet? And Nath, a quick look two or three posts back & you'll see a few of us are in the Lagertha fan club...

large.jpg

Don't know if it has been shown yet, 

You'll know it when it happens lol

Super Rich About Us on ABC Iview its called about us .... beyond excellent .... he could have been talking about Sydney...

Episode one of this two-part series, Jacques Peretti looks at how the super-rich first exploited an obscure legal loophole to make Britain the most attractive tax haven on earth

Go to the ABC Iview its called About Us ..

Edited by Midfielder
  • 2 weeks later...

http://dave.uktv.co.uk/red-dwarf/article/red-dwarf-blasts-backtwice/

Yes, you heard us right. Red Dwarf XI and XII will film back-to-back this autumn and will air exclusively on Dave in 2016 and 2017, reuniting Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and Cat for the first in three years. It's been a long wait we know, but this has been news worth waiting for. Un-smegging-believeable!

Red Dwarf has enjoyed huge success since first airing on BBC2 in 1988. Over eight million people tuned in for series eight, 11.5 million DVD's and videos have been sold worldwide, it's been seen in over 25 countries and scooped Emmys and British Comedy Awards.

fffo4uym1nhomumthghd.jpg

2009's Red Dwarf: Back to Earth - Dave's first original scripted comedy - pulled in over 2.6 million viewers, keen to catch up with the four hapless space explorers as they returned to TV for the first time in decade. When Red Dwarf X came in 2012 viewers never dipped under 1.6 million.

Writer, director and mastermind of the cult sci-fi comedy Doug Naylor said: 'everyone at UKTV has been so supporting of Red Dwarf from the start of their involvement with the show. [They] originally asked for more shows back in 2012 but frustratingly it's taken until now to get our ducks in a row and all the boys available at the same time. Now they are, we're all absolutely delighted.'

Don't worry if you can't quite handle the wait for the two new series. You can watch the entire Red Dwarf X collection right now on UKTV Play via iOS, Android, Virgin TV, YouView and at uktvplay.co.uk. The series will also be available as a box set on Sky Go and Sky set-top boxes.

Edited by GD07

Just finished rewatching HIMYM with the wife (she's only seen a few episodes) from the start on Netflix. Man I love that show! The ending and the mother reveal is much more cohesive this time around, especially when binge watching the last season in 2-days.

• 2 weeks later...

Better call saul is great for those who want to know the background of not only saul from breaking bad but also a few other charachters from break bad that became associates/clients of saul.

DIG is another shoe i finish watching on the stan network online.

GETTing into Fargo, so strange show and worse off that its based on real life events, Never got to watch the movie but loving the rawness of it.

#the wire is still best show ever :xnod: