Nostalgia Thread

St Peter's was a good guy.

But Parras and his maps etc was good fun.

He enlivened the SFC Thread...

He was taking the Mickey...even though it wasn't recognised. He wasn't always being serious.

When he was serious, he could be sincere...and actually was spot on with this analysis about lots of things. Including what would happen to our passion/devotion when we hit hard times. 

I remember one of his posts got almost a record number of Likes...but he wasn't allowed to be serious very often.

Much of the stuff spouted  here back then, in that first flush of delirium, was nonsense....and he called us out on it. :pardon:

19 minutes ago, wendybr said:

St Peter's was a good guy.

But Parras and his maps etc was good fun.

He enlivened the SFC Thread...

He was taking the Mickey...even though it wasn't recognised. He wasn't always being serious.

When he was serious, he could be sincere...and actually was spot on with this analysis about lots of things. Including what would happen to our passion/devotion when we hit hard times. 

I remember one of his posts got almost a record number of Likes...but he wasn't allowed to be serious very often.

Much of the stuff spouted  here back then, in that first flush of delirium, was nonsense....and he called us out on it. :pardon:

Think Manfred would disagree. Manfred treated ripping him apart as a sport.

We've experienced absolute shite compared to anything he said would happen and still have maintained memberships really. So his predictions weren't exactly right. The one area - maybe - he might have been right was that the RBB would struggle without giving in and being beholden to the club like the cove. Some choice. When he was being serious (so rarely, he was usually taking the piss) he'd disappear when called out. 

Just now, Erimus said:

Think Manfred would disagree. Manfred treated ripping him apart as a sport.

He did...he was merciless.

But Parra's down to earth cynicism would have outlasted the idealism Manfred and others espoused.

All that fanatical idealism went out the window 3-4 years ago.

3 minutes ago, marron said:

The one area - maybe - he might have been right was that the RBB would struggle without giving in and being beholden to the club like the cove. Some choice. 

I know which I'd have preferred over the last season.

But you won't agree. :)

34 minutes ago, marron said:

We've experienced absolute shite compared to anything he said would happen and still have maintained memberships really. So his predictions weren't exactly right. The one area - maybe - he might have been right was that the RBB would struggle without giving in and being beholden to the club like the cove. Some choice. When he was being serious (so rarely, he was usually taking the piss) he'd disappear when called out. 

I will admit one thing did turn out to be right, he said our numbers going to CCM and the Jets would drop away.....but then he also used dodgy photos to compare ESFC and WSW at both places.

2 minutes ago, marron said:

I'm an idealistic cynic and I'm still here :D And still both in equal measure. 

and I won't agree, because if that's how it should work, it should be a different group who does that. Giving in is giving up.

I'm just a cynic.....

37 minutes ago, wendybr said:

He did...he was merciless.

But Parra's down to earth cynicism would have outlasted the idealism Manfred and others espoused.

All that fanatical idealism went out the window 3-4 years ago.

I very much doubt he would have outlasted anything Manfred espoused, Manfred would have just shifted with the times and ripped him apart in new and interesting ways :)

Edited by Erimus
1 hour ago, marron said:

I'm an idealistic cynic and I'm still here :D And still both in equal measure. 

and I won't agree, because if that's how it should work, it should be a different group who does that. Giving in is giving up.

In all honesty, what would they have had to  "give up"?

PS I did lol at the "idealistic cynic"...in equal measure. :lol:

1 hour ago, Erimus said:

.....but then he also used dodgy photos to compare ESFC and WSW at both places.

He was too smart to have really believed that nonsense.

He was stirring...90% of the time. And loving that someone or other snapped at the bait every time. ;)

41 minutes ago, wendybr said:

In all honesty, what would they have had to  "give up"?

PS I did lol at the "idealist cynic"...in equal measure. :lol:

;)

Give up autonomy.

I've been part of a number of things over my life that I relate being part of the RBB to as well. Once you agree to hand over the direction of it to people who aren't part of it, and have different motives - monetization, or control - you're done. It's dead.

I appreciate that it might not look like it from the outside. But it's the truth. Obviously any group of people will have to have a certain level of negotiation and so on, a bit of give and take, etc etc. But it's different to being in a position where you've given up the real control, and just have to go along with whatever those in power tell you to do.  I also recognise that it's far more volatile and precarious. But it's far more alive at the same time.

The road tripping and all that stuff - the unique relationship between the home end and the side stands etc (that yes, we lost while away, here's hoping it comes back)  - that's a direct result of the autonomy, and, also, I think is reflective of the cultural difference between east and west.

Edited by marron
3 minutes ago, marron said:

;)

Give up autonomy.

I've been part of a number of things over my life that I relate being part of the RBB to as well. Once you agree to hand over the direction of it to people who aren't part of it, and have different motives - monetization, or control - you're done. It's dead.

I appreciate that it might not look like it from the outside. But it's the truth. Obviously any group of people will have to have a certain level of negotiation and so on, a bit of give and take, etc etc. But it's different to being in a position where you've given up the real control, and just have to go along with whatever those in power tell you to do.  I also recognise that it's far more volate and precarious. But it's far more alive at the same time.

Yep...an idealist. :lol: