Nostalgia Thread

• 4 weeks later...

This is a fella from Middlesbrough that does drawings of the old Ayresome Park. It really captures what going to a night match was like. The old tin Holgate end roof peeping up, the terraced houses, the bottom of the floodlight pylon and the old turnstiles. 

Its been 25 years since Boro left and I miss the old place all the time, really do. Happiest memories of my life in that place.

Remembering Ayresome Park, 25 years after Middlesbrough's final home game  there | Yorkshire Post

Lining up for tickets

Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough | WSC Photography

Underneath the floodlight pylon, the first ever game I attended was on this part of the terrace, just down to the right as a 6 year old.

Ayresome Park High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

Big game day, a packed Holgate-

North East football fans across the years - Chronicle Live

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone else remember this place

May be an image of 1 person

Reason I mention is because this month marks 20 years since first came to Sydney and this is the first place the wife took me for an eat. Closed not long after I think. It was down some steps and in a basement I recall and was pretty compact.

Edited by Smoggy

yep on clarence or york or one of those streets over there I think.

I went there once or twice but I have an irrational hatred of the whole idea. :lol: I once got kicked out of the Basement as a result... it had a similar kind of vibe, people sitting at tables or whatever. We went up the front to watch the band and was told we were getting in the dinner guests way. Holy **** did I let loose and they chucked us. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Parker coats and punch ups, could only be in mid 80’s at Ayresome, just another Saturday afternoon like most of them at that time. If it wasn’t a derby game Boro fans would just fight amongst themselves.

Reminds me of this

The guy on 19 seconds who runs across the front of screen in a parker with hands above his head. Is my favourite, I have on many a drunken occasion re-enacted this moment in a pub to the bemusement of other patrons.

THe funny thing is that's just what the players used to do, that, before things all got a lot more contrived.

I wonder if security were still more lax and all that and pitch invasions were still more frequent the people clambering on the pitch would then do more modern goal celebrations.

20 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Must admit I thought that Parkers were more 60s/70s.....apart from trainspotters :xnod:

Parkas, were big at St Julies in 't 'elens when I was a kid in the late 70s early 80s

Look deep into the Parka

31 minutes ago, marron said:

THe funny thing is that's just what the players used to do, that, before things all got a lot more contrived.

I wonder if security were still more lax and all that and pitch invasions were still more frequent the people clambering on the pitch would then do more modern goal celebrations.

I love that clip, the guy with glasses and the Parka apparently is still apparently a minor celebrity in Liverpool to this day

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Reminds me of this

The guy on 19 seconds who runs across the front of screen in a parker with hands above his head. Is my favourite, I have on many a drunken occasion re-enacted this moment in a pub to the bemusement of other patrons.

But that’s not a true Parka though is it, it doesn’t have the hood with the fluffy bit around it. I never had a Parka me like. The coat of choice at Boro games in the 80’s was a parka or something we called a donkey jacket which were supplied to workers at ICI or British Steel and so had their logo on the back.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

But that’s not a true Parka though is it, it doesn’t have the hood with the fluffy bit around it. I never had a Parka me like. The coat of choice at Boro games in the 80’s was a parka or something we called a donkey jacket which were supplied to workers at ICI or British Steel and so had their logo on the back.

Donkey jackets were country wide...being in a mining area many had NCB on them and others had the initials of the local council.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I had the proper parka with the hood and the fluffy bit for school, zip them up so you looked out of a tube.. Boss la...