ACL - AWAY TRIP

Pup55

Those that have booked japan. What airport you flying into and where you staying?

Flying to Narita Thursday 12th, Flying out of Narita Thursday 27th. Both with JAL. A bit of travel beforehand but haven't worked out where to stay yet in Tokyo.Any ideas?
I booked at Tokyu Stay Shinjuku (pretty cheap) the other places to look at is the Citadines Shinjuku or the APA have a few different ones. The one in Kabuchico is in the middle of the red light district (most shady area of Tokyo) the others are OK.

Was actually looking at the Shinjuku Prince Hotel in Kabukicho but couldn't handle the 12 sqm room size, haha. Staying a 10 min walk west of Kabukicho (Keio Plaza Hotel) with somewhat more 'standard' western sized rooms. Citadines and the Granbell Hotel had a few vacancies when I looked last.

So it seems Shinjuku is the place most are staying. Are there any other affordable areas in Tokyo?

I've only been looking at Shinjuku as it was recommended by a few. But since, I've read up on Kabukicho and the 'shadiness' of the area and become hesitant. Can someone who's been to Tokyo before share their experiences of the area? I've heard it's ok....

I was looking at the Shinjuku Prince Hotel as well... it claims to be a 5 star hotel but I'm not so sure lol. As close to the station would be great I guess.

So it seems Shinjuku is the place most are staying. Are there any other affordable areas in Tokyo?

I've only been looking at Shinjuku as it was recommended by a few. But since, I've read up on Kabukicho and the 'shadiness' of the area and become hesitant. Can someone who's been to Tokyo before share their experiences of the area? I've heard it's ok....

I was looking at the Shinjuku Prince Hotel as well... it claims to be a 5 star hotel but I'm not so sure lol. As close to the station would be great I guess.

Kabukicho is nowhere as bad as red light districts in some other countries but it's the worst in Japan.

Next to Tokyo station or Shibuja can be a bit cheaper but Shinjuku is the place to be.

Shinjuku is pretty cool, heaps of people, pretty lively. Didn't really get the sense of shadiness in the area. I stayed in a shoebox there so can't really comment on accomodation. If in Shinjuku, check out the New York Bar in Park Hyatt. Pretty cool cocktail bar where they shot a scene from Lost in Translation. It's a bit pricey but it's got pretty good night views.

Speaking of shoeboxes, everyone should try living in one of the capsule hotels for at least one night, unless claustrophobic of course. Pretty cool experience.

See if your time matches up with Sumo wrestling. Pretty different and unique experience.

There is a pretty cool Kill Bill replica restaurant there too so check it out.

Plenty of cool neighbourhoods too, Akihabara for electronics, Shibuya for the massive crossing, Harajuku on weekends for people dressed up etc.

If you are bringing kids, Disneyworld and Disneysea could be a blast as well.

If Karaoke is your thing, there are a few places with all you can drink alcohol for probably $15/hr.

Everyone's talking about the Japan game. Anyone going to Seoul?

I get it though, Japan is probably the better holiday destination.

I think some are going to Seoul.

I wont be this time because of a clash but went last ACL. Seoul is easy to get around and Seoul has some good places to visit and good food and beer. Worth the trip if you haven't been.

I was in Seoul in November and actually went to a game to watch Takahagi. Really really nice stadium although they don't seem to pull much of a crowd.

I'm going to go back for the ACL game to visit a lady friend hahahah

Hoping at least a few fellow wanderers will be there  :xnod:

Edited by Hiriser

where to stay depends on your preferences;

if you want to hit nightclubs with other foreigners maybe stay near Roppongi, or party all night since the trains stop at around 1am.

if you want to wake up early (3am) and go to the fish market for the tuna auctions then Ginza,

alternatively drink in the high class bars at Ginza, then nap, then sushi for breakfast.

if going to Tokyo for the first time then stay in Shinjuku.

the red light district is hardly worth mentioning, it's an amber light district at best.

you may get some women asking you to go in to places, but just say "die jo bu" and move on. ignore the africans.

my favourite yakitori restaurant is in the red light district, never had an issue.

for some fun you can go to the robot restaurant, which many tourists flock to.

oh and if you played mario kart then check out akibakart and ask for Dai.

contact him via http://akibanavi.net/

(stock google photo to know what I am talking about...)

7090f7146d11-dbb8-4713-b234-520744c70540

Cheers for the information tuco.

I did Japanese in the HSC so I know a bit of the language and the culture. It will be my first time there though.

Since I'm going with my younger brother, and he's only 18, I assume the night club drinking options are out of question as the drinking age is 20???

Since I'm going with my younger brother, and he's only 18, I assume the night club drinking options are out of question as the drinking age is 20???

you're right, drinking age is 20.

I haven't been to a nightclub in Tokyo since 2006, and that was when I went to Womb and Yellow on my first trip.

I did get asked for ID.

on my last trip in October I did notice people getting carded for ID when I was walking past clubs in Osaka.

you could just hit up the bars. never seen anyone get carded. especially the 'hole in the wall' bars or izakayas.

I've seen guys collapse off chairs, get picked up, and then order more beer. the japanese drink hard.

Lawson/Family Mart/7-11 never ask for ID.

since you know the language you will get so much more of the experience if you make friends with locals.

you'll see things and get taken to places that no tourists will see.

If Karaoke is your thing, there are a few places with all you can drink alcohol for probably $15/hr.

Do you have to sing?

Also, this Kill Bill bar, is it like the place where the Crazy 88 came and Uma Thurman tore them up? 

Yep the Crazy 88 scene. The movie was actually inspired by the restaurant and not the other way around.

Geez looking at the videos, I'd love to go to the Urawa game but already locked into Seoul  :sorry:

Shinjuku is pretty cool, heaps of people, pretty lively. Didn't really get the sense of shadiness in the area. I stayed in a shoebox there so can't really comment on accomodation. If in Shinjuku, check out the New York Bar in Park Hyatt. Pretty cool cocktail bar where they shot a scene from Lost in Translation. It's a bit pricey but it's got pretty good night views.

Speaking of shoeboxes, everyone should try living in one of the capsule hotels for at least one night, unless claustrophobic of course. Pretty cool experience.

See if your time matches up with Sumo wrestling. Pretty different and unique experience.

There is a pretty cool Kill Bill replica restaurant there too so check it out.

Plenty of cool neighbourhoods too, Akihabara for electronics, Shibuya for the massive crossing, Harajuku on weekends for people dressed up etc.

If you are bringing kids, Disneyworld and Disneysea could be a blast as well.

Everyone's talking about the Japan game. Anyone going to Seoul?

I get it though, Japan is probably the better holiday destination.

I think some are going to Seoul.

I wont be this time because of a clash but went last ACL. Seoul is easy to get around and Seoul has some good places to visit and good food and beer. Worth the trip if you haven't been.

I was in Seoul in November and actually went to a game to watch Takahagi. Really really nice stadium although they don't seem to pull much of a crowd.

I'm going to go back for the ACL game to visit a lady friend hahahah

Hoping at least a few fellow wanderers will be there  :xnod:

Don't think the timing is right for sumo - there aren't a lot of tournaments in Tokyo through the year, and none that coincide to my knowledge. You may be able to arrange to go to a training session (https://blog.gaijinpot.com/how-to-watch-a-sumo-morning-training-session/) but you either need to go on an organised tour, or you need your hotel to call up for you (and you need to go very early in the morning).

Korea is a hole. Noone is gonna go there when they can go to Japan.

Btw. If I save enough $ I will go Japan.

Don't know when you visited but I can't agree. Went to Korea twice for the  ACL games and had a great time both times. Only reason I'm not going this time is because I have a medical appointment that clashes .

Korea is a hole. Noone is gonna go there when they can go to Japan.

Btw. If I save enough $ I will go Japan.

Don't know when you visited but I can't agree. Went to Korea twice for the  ACL games and had a great time both times. Only reason I'm not going this time is because I have a medical appointment that clashes .

Trolling mate. lol

Loved being there.

Negotiation update... going ok. Just gotta convince that my life long dream of going to Saitama makes sense this year after bew car etc. Saw Jetstar have like 700ish return. Via cairns or gold coast. Hmmmmm

But i may wanna go singapore on way home.

Decisions!

I got 880 for

Sydney -> Tokyo via Brisbane

Tokyo -> Singapore

Singapore -> Sydney

ON Qantas and JAL

Mine was a bit more but I'm flying back from Osaka.

People that the the trip last time ...Where / how did you get tickets for the game? Did you have any contact with the club?

Club helped last time and Dougie (@Dougiejam on twitter) did a shiteload of orgamanising on our behalf.

Negotiation update... going ok. Just gotta convince that my life long dream of going to Saitama makes sense this year after bew car etc. Saw Jetstar have like 700ish return. Via cairns or gold coast. Hmmmmm

Decisions!

sounds like flight i got, its $234 one way up with limited baggage and return about between 400-500 depending on date. Doing Ginza this time. All flights stop at cairns for a few hours with jetstar.

Decisions!

sounds like flight i got, its $234 one way up with limited baggage and return about between 400-500 depending on date. Doing Ginza this time. All flights stop at cairns for a few hours with jetstar.

I did the Jetstar via Cairns flights last time, it's fine, not too much of a bash. Ramp up your sales activities West13!