Anthem/Walk Out Song - 5/10 minutes prior to kickoff

Which one do you like the best  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like the best

• Wanderers Rise Up
    • We are Wanderers
    • Glorious
    • Fear of the Red & Black
    • Western Sydney to Hallelujah (leonard Cohen)
    • These colours unite us all
    • Exit Row - Welcome to our Wanderland
    • The Presets - My People
    • Rancid - If the kids are united
    • Nothing.
  2. 2. Should we replace 5-10mins prior to kickoff

• Current music + PA over shadowing the RBB
    • First current music then RBB singing
    • First the RBB singing then into Anthem/Walkout Song
    • Current Music then into Anthem/Walkout Song
    • No PA/music at all.
  3. 3. Do you want an Anthem/Walkout Song?

• Yes
    • No

Liverpool F.C was founded in 1892. You'll never walk alone was first recorded in 1945; and not adopted by LFC fans until the early '60's.

If we have to have a "walk out song" (and I'm becoming less convinced that we do... to be honest), then it should happen naturally. If it takes another 3 years... or 60.   

Jacko. Out.

The only way is to keep plugging away with the same song (in my view Glorious) before each game. It won't happen straight away, but it will eventually catch on once the other stands see the pattern. Scarves up help, it makes it obvious to the rest of the ground something is happening. In my view I saw some signs of progress in the latter ACL games.

Yep...so everyone says.... but I hope it doesn't take another three seasons.

PS  I'm sure this was just a way of continuing the discussion, rather than trying to "fix down" the ultimate choice.

ok, :mellow:

'WSWBoro backs away from the discussion' lol

Edited by WSWBoro

^^^^  Nooooo,   don't do that Boro.    Should I have put an  :) at the end??

Oh dear...I'm treading on toes here...AND on the Politics Thread...ATM

Everyone agrees that it should be an organic thing.... but it's hard to see how that'll happen...as Edinburgh observes above!!

But  then Jacko's post is worth bearing in mind....so it's all OK.

^^^^  Nooooo,   don't do that Boro.    Should I have put an  :) at the end??

Oh dear...I'm treading on toes here...AND on the Politics Thread...ATM

Everyone agrees that it should be an organic thing.... but it's hard to see how that'll happen...as Edinburgh observes above!!

But  then Jacko's post is worth bearing in mind....so it's all OK.

Nah it is all cool Wendy  :)  ;) , can tell it is something you are enthusiastic about, which is great.  :good:

Walk out song to the tune of " Mull of Kintyre" .....Mole of Kings Park! " Mole of Kings Park, all short skirt n high heels , oh clambering out, of pubs smelling of beer , oh Mole of Kings Park" :P

• 4 months later...

Welcome to the forums, Peck... if no-one else has welcomed you already.   :)

This issue just never goes anywhere, but it seems that the RBB use "Glorious" and as a walk out song.  

It is not universally loved is all I can say.

Your idea is a good one as far as I'm concerned, but don't hold your breath waiting for something like your suggestion to get the nod of approval.. 

It's good that people are still thinking about this issue, but it doesn't seem to get much attention on these forums any more. 

Here's the Glorious thread, if you're interested.

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/topic/2908-glorious/

ok my first post...

you're the voice ... johnny farnham... aussie...everyones knows it... epic chorus EVERYONE knows and everyone would sing

not sure if lyrics need to be retro fitted but they kinda work as is i suppose

Welcome to the forum dude :good:

I can't say that I'm not a big fan of Johnny F and I'm not sure I could bring myself to sing it but good idea. If it gets a few nods of approval I'll add it to the first page and include it in the poll!

i've always been a fan of this chant (link below) as a walk out. Many clubs in Argentina use it with tweaked lyrics for each club.

Maybe not a 100% original walk out song but it has a great rhythm and sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw_nXzwiCtY

Glorious is a cool song but it lacks the punch and decibels right now to be a good walkout song IMHO. The ohhh oohhh parts of glorious always come out as a low decibel sound which doesn't work when people are also clapping and shouting in other parts of the stadium. I guess what i'm trying to say is Glorious is a hard song to sing loudly so it kind of doesn't work right now as only the RBB sings it.

Maybe someone in RBB heirarchy should tell WSWFC administration to put the words for Glorious up on the big screen as a karaoke type thing to get people singing it?

Edited by PieceBombs

If the Kids are United is by sham 69.

Practically invented the punk rock terrace style singalong.

Old pursey wasn't too bad with the lyrics. :lol:

Come on

Come on

Hurry up Harry come on

Come on

Come on

Hurry up Harry come on

Weeeeeeeeeeee're

Going down the pub

Now listen here Harry

we're going down the pub

You'd better tell your mum and dad

And finish up your grub

I wish you'd listen to me

No, I don't want a cup of tea

Actually angels with dirty faces isn't bad lyrics wise for an anthem

Angels with dirty faces

Angels from nowhere places

Kids like me and you

Running fighting down the street

Ain't got no money but I don't cry

We're the people you don't wanna know

We come from places you don't wanna go

• 5 months later...

I posted some this on the other more recent "Walk out song" thread, but now this issue is likely to become more of a focus in the off-season, I'm reposting it here.  

To me, it's sensible to have this ongoing, somewhat contentious issue discussed in one place.  

After all the hard work Prydz went to in setting up this thread up, this one is the best place to focus this discussion, in my opinion.

On the other thread, there was the usual divergence of opinion, Basically what follows is what I wrote there.

At the end of a dismal and punishing  season, spirits dramatically sagged, and sadly, in the stands at least,  there was a sense of resignation, and not of the energy, optimism and confidence we developed in Seasons 1 and 2.  That's only natural.

There was a really obvious disconnect from the RBB that I saw in both the West and East stands at Pirtek.  People not only declined in their commitment to games and stopped attending in many instances (good riddance to the bandwagoners I hear some of you say) but they stopped interacting with the RBB.

It will be interesting to see what happens next season. I'm sure we'll have a return to the excitement and anticipation which didn't exist at the end of last season. But if there's any residual lack of confidence, or a renewed sense of disappointment, and the atmosphere becomes what it was for most of Season 3.... I'd say a walk out song to unify the whole crowd would be an antidote to that flatness right from the start of the game.

PS For what it's worth.  The PE teacher at my school, his family and a circle of his friends are passionate Wanderers fans. (Hello to you guys if you read this)

The day after the GF game between Vic and SFC, when I asked his reaction to the game,  pretty much his first words were something like.. "We've gotta get a walkout song like "Stand By Me". Then we chatted about the game. He's a football watching/analysing person, not an I-chant-and-clap-and-watch-the-RBB type person.  But THAT'S what stood out for him.   Just sayin'.   ;)

PPS Sorry to many of you who argue that a walk out song will happen organically. I don't buy the let's wait and see what develops organically line.  Hahahaha I'm a really patient person, but waiting any longer is too frustrating.    "Stand By Me" wasn't organically developed, but no-one's going to remember or care about that in 5, 10 or 50 years time. It works brilliantly,  and it's hair-standing-on-the-back-of-your-neck type stuff already after just a few seasons.

PPPS The RBB persevered with "Glorious" I think, with something like this in mind.  It doesn't work as a stadium wide song.  Credit to them for now experimenting with this new one (linked below) , which I really liked when it was used for the few games it got a run. Maybe Prydz can add it at the top of the thread to the list of suggestions IF this thread takes off during the off season, and it becomes a lively and genuine discussion. I guess the only problem with doing that is that I don't sense much of a connection any longer between those at the centre of decision making at the RBB and the members of WSF, which is a pity.

http://www.westsydne...r-walkout-song/

Can't wait til we have something at the start of games to have us unified right from the start of games.... with our scarves up, and shivers running down our spines.   :xnod:   :xnod:

:wanderturtle:   :wanderturtle:   :wanderturtle:   :wanderturtle:   :wanderturtle:   :wanderturtle:

I had my rant over here

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/topic/5338-club-song-or-equivalent-of-youll-never-walk-alone-suggestions/page-4#entry422084

But short version, kill the PA leave the RBB to it and it will all be sound. A ten minute long Dale would do me

Oh and no Kopite tribute band plastic Crap.

Personally I like Glorious. I think one issue with the disconnect is that the lyrics of Glorious are difficult to decipher for people far away from the RBB end. With Glorious, or indeed any walkout song, the lyrics need to be put up on the big screen. Otherwise, many in the crowd won't learn them. The people I'm referring to are the ones that go to most of the games, but otherwise don't engage with any other aspects of the club eg the website, this forum, the Twitter feed etc. The other thing about putting the lyrics on the big screen is, even if people don't learn the words, they'll still sing it if they can follow the lyrics on the screen.

Realistically, I'll sing whatever the guys in charge choose. They know what they're doing. Plus, considering the effort that the capo's, La Banda and any other of the crew put in before and during every match, I feel they've earn the right to choose between them what walkout song is most appropriate.

And in all honestly, I really don't care that much what walk out song is chosen. As long as the boys walkout onto the pitch wearing black shorts, I'll be happy.

P.s. Definitely no PA playing the walkout song. Let us create the atmosphere pregame.

Edited by Alexander

Wendy, unfortunately I'm unable to edit the first few posts in the thread, so I can't add it to the first page nor can I change the poll to reflect the new chant/walkout song.

The biggest issue would be having to redo all the votes to take into account the walkout song which would require a new thread. I think this would be too much with already multiple threads discussing it already.

At this stage, I'm not sure whether the discussion is relevant. Firstly, will the club consult with the fans on the walkout song? I'm not sure they will do but I do feel they will consult with the RBB who will choose there own preference. Secondly, the biggest issue is we need the club to tell the speaker to shut up & turn off PA with the family friendly bullshit prescribed by the FFA.

Hopefully as a result of the members forum we'll make significant progress on this issue. If we get the same responses we have in the past then I feel like this sort of discussion would be & will be a complete waste of time.

Absolutely agree with all of the above, Prydz.  Ideally, it will be the RBB coming up with something that will take off... and I'd be happy if it's the "Red and Black Forever", which I thought was fantastic when  it was premiered in the 2nd last game (but which the dramas of the last game prevented  from getting any attention, as I recall)

Or the club will come up with something like "Stand by me"  which the RBB won't probably appreciate, but which strikes a chord with people in the stands.

What we have here in WSF is a sounding board that is only regularly visited by a few hundred WSF members per day, only a small proportion of whom probably check out this thread.  I know that.

It hope the upcoming fan forum touches on this issue. Then I hope that the RBB gets it right in experimenting with something that will appeal to the whole stadium, and that the club is receptive to encouraging that.

PS I would be so much more preferable to see people directed to this thread, and maybe the other one merged here, rather than having the same issue discussed in multiple threads.

Cheers!   :)

I'd hate to rain on your parade Prydz but seriously can you see the club implementing anything at all that they didn't create in the first place. I certainly hope they do, but hey I dream of winning Powerball on Thursday as well.

For what it's worth I think it's cringeworthy to plan a walk out song. It should just evolve if it is required at all. I love how our club is unique and WSW has pioneered many firsts in the HAL. Let's not 'plan' a walk out song because every other knob end club has one. 

It seems all these people wanting a wanky walkout song are the same people who whinge and whine when other supporter bases 'steal' chants and other ideas.

What is my opinion I hear you ask?

.... Well if the PA dude and Andy Pachilidis or Dicko would zip it as soon as our lads start to exit the tunnel. The time is right for the crowd to cheer, raise their scarfs and then the RBB get up and do their stuff, only then will 'something natural' catch on. It may take one match or it may take 5 years, but at least when it happens it will be natural and not a prefabricated passion which will build a legend for many years to come.  :grouphug:

For what it's worth I think it's cringeworthy to plan a walk out song. It should just evolve if it is required at all. I love how our club is unique and WSW has pioneered many firsts in the HAL. Let's not 'plan' a walk out song because every other knob end club has one

I think it might need options being nudged in the right direction, or being experimented with, rather than hoping something just evolves.

Let's hope this one gets a good run next season.... posted on the previous page

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/topic/6249-new-chant-red-black-forever-walkout-song/