AFC qualification pathway to Russia 2018 World Cup

Pablo

I also heard the chants "I am, you are, We are Australian" and "Waltzing Matilda"

This isn't the Wallabies!

I don't mind it tbh, its the truth, we should be proud of our heritage.

could be worse, there could have been a Mexican wave....

Edited by Sime11

RESULTS: 

Japan 3-0 Cambodia

Korea Republic 8-0 Laos

Australia 5-0 Bangladesh

China PR 0-0 Hong Kong  :shok:  :rofl: 

Iraq 5-1 Chinese Taipei

Uzbekistan 1-0 Yemen

Iran 6-0 Guam

Oman 3-1 Turkmenistan

United Arab Emirates 10-0 Malaysia  :shok: 

Bahrain 0-1 Korea DPR

Qatar 15-0 Bhutan  :shok: 

Syria 1-0 Singapore

Jordan 0-0 Kyrgyzstan

Kuwait 9-0 Myanmar  :shok: 

Saudi Arabia 7-0 Timor-Leste

Some surprises there (not necessarily the big margins either). I believe that Abdulrahman was in devastating form for UAE against Malaysia, which like Singapore looks to have gone backwards in terms of producing decent football (seems like only yesterday Alan Davidson playing in the Malay league was a big thing). Kuwait look to be possibly returning to some of the potential they had a fair few years ago (remember they gave us a hard time for awhile in the opening game of the AFC Asian Cup in January). The Bhutanese have archery as their national sport, and with all those petrodollars spent on re-birthing Africans (three of their goal scorers last night came from Ghana, the Sudan and Algeria) it's no wonder the Qataris gave Bhutan a shellacking. Neither Iran or Saudi Arabia should be too excited about their wins (not that long ago Holger had a team of retreads and young guns get 9 past Guam). And to be honest neither us or the Blue Samurai should be satisfied with the amount of goals we put in against vastly inferior oppo. 

When push comes to shove the draws between China and Hong Kong, and between Jordan and Kyrgyzstan will be the matches where opportunities were missed. If Jordan had beaten the Kyrgyz team at home they would be in a great pozzie to lock up a 2nd place finish in our group, and with a few goals make sure they would be in with a shot of getting one of the top 4 second place qualifiers. They may well miss out if someone like Uzbekistan, Oman, Lebanon, UAE or Kuwait keep winning. As for the Chinese, they're going to be in a battle against Qatar and maybe Hong Kong for those top 2 places in their group, and are already 3 goals behind the HK guys and a massive 10 behind Qatar. They'll need to beat the Maldives by at least 4 goals next Tuesday if they want to have a chance of passing Hong Kong on the table (whose match against Qatar will be VIP for their group).

Right now you'd have to say that Australia and probably North Korea are the best positioned across the AFC groups to progress to the next Round, with UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Thailand, South Korea, Kuwait and Syria well in the mix. Japan, Iran, Oman and Uzkbekistan  should be in with a chance, so it'll need a few of these teams to drop out of the race for a Lebanon, Jordan, China or Bahrain to push in.

RESULTS: 

Japan 3-0 Cambodia

Korea Republic 8-0 Laos

Australia 5-0 Bangladesh

China PR 0-0 Hong Kong  :shok:  :rofl: 

Iraq 5-1 Chinese Taipei

Uzbekistan 1-0 Yemen

Iran 6-0 Guam

Oman 3-1 Turkmenistan

United Arab Emirates 10-0 Malaysia  :shok: 

Bahrain 0-1 Korea DPR

Qatar 15-0 Bhutan  :shok: 

Syria 1-0 Singapore

Jordan 0-0 Kyrgyzstan

Kuwait 9-0 Myanmar  :shok: 

Saudi Arabia 7-0 Timor-Leste

kim-jong-un.jpg

\shouldn't that read 10-0 to DPR Korea???

I'm not a huge fan of Waltzing Matilda as a song for Socceroos games because it's old school Anglo, it's to some extent already been 'claimed' by the rah-rahs, and if any Australian 'anthem' has a relationship with football it's 'Advance Australia Fair'

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/apr/24/forgotten-story-advance-australia-fair-socceroos

Guess the real problem is that both casual and active support alike for the Socceroos has not as yet found a unifying, culturally significant motif or voice beyond the Johnny Warren 'I told you so' slogan. Our 'We're from the streets of Western Sydney" is the kind of thing needed for the national team, something that is ineffable in its positioning of who we are, what the national team means to us, where we come from, our history and our future. Whether it's a song, a chant or even just a phrase like "I told you so" it seems to be beyond our collective creative abilities.

Although the socceroos aren't just the immigrant australians team or just the white australians team, 

It's every Australian's team.
It should be everyone's team to enjoy and support, and that means that the mexican wavers and the stand in the terrace chanters have to come together and form some middle ground

Although the socceroos aren't just the immigrant australians team or just the white australians team, 

It's every Australian's team.

It should be everyone's team to enjoy and support, and that means that the mexican wavers and the stand in the terrace chanters have to come together and form some middle ground

Okay, we have as a fantastic model the RBB with both the WDWSF and the Poznan. Yes, they may have their roots in one sector of the Wanderers support, and with the latter it's not specifically an Oz sokkah culturally unique phenomenon. However both have the casuals and the non-actives engaged for the most part when led by the RBB.

Bottom line; what can the active Socceroos fans do to create a similar ambiance, similar call to the non-actives? I know it sounds like a cop out to put the load on them, but if the RBB can do it for a club that didn't have a history before 2012/13 surely something can be worked out for the national team which has been around for almost a century.

If anyone is interested, here's a video of FC Istiklol who are the top team in Tajikistan. This was their AFC Cup game just a week and a half ago. 

I believe this will be the stadium the Socceroos will be playing in. Good indication of the atmosphere and the artificial pitch. 

Having covered a few of FC Istiklol's games, I can say they are a very passionate bunch of fans, similar to the one's seen in Kyrgystan. Expect it to be very hostile for the Aussies

I'm not a huge fan of Waltzing Matilda as a song for Socceroos games because it's old school Anglo, it's to some extent already been 'claimed' by the rah-rahs, and if any Australian 'anthem' has a relationship with football it's 'Advance Australia Fair'

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/apr/24/forgotten-story-advance-australia-fair-socceroos

Guess the real problem is that both casual and active support alike for the Socceroos has not as yet found a unifying, culturally significant motif or voice beyond the Johnny Warren 'I told you so' slogan. Our 'We're from the streets of Western Sydney" is the kind of thing needed for the national team, something that is ineffable in its positioning of who we are, what the national team means to us, where we come from, our history and our future. Whether it's a song, a chant or even just a phrase like "I told you so" it seems to be beyond our collective creative abilities.

'We are Australian' would be perfect IMO. It covers all cultures within our shores and makes the point of despite our diversity, we are all here for the same purpose.

If anyone is interested, here's a video of FC Istiklol who are the top team in Tajikistan. This was their AFC Cup game just a week and a half ago. 

I believe this will be the stadium the Socceroos will be playing in. Good indication of the atmosphere and the artificial pitch. 

Having covered a few of FC Istiklol's games, I can say they are a very passionate bunch of fans, similar to the one's seen in Kyrgystan. Expect it to be very hostile for the Aussies

Artificial pitch looks okay...certainly in finer state than the mountain bike track that we had in Bishkek.

And yep...looks like the locals aren't just active at one end. If they get a good crowd the Tajiks will make it hard for the likes of Pablo to be heard lol

Has anyone heard of the unrest going on at the moment that is threatening the match?

FFA released a statement yesterday:

"FFA's advance party has been in Dushanbe for several days and have been liaising with the authorities in Tajikistan," said an FFA spokesperson.

"At this stage the situation in Dushanbe remains calm. Businesses, government services and the airport are operating as normal.

"The Socceroos will arrive in Dushanbe today (Saturday) and begin preparations as planned.

"FFA has been in constant contact with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Asian Football Confederation and FIFA. Everything is proceeding towards the match being played as scheduled on Tuesday."

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/ffa-statement-on-socceroos-in-dushanbe/d4rmilt85got1auoe4ywxypw6#qhjQThl87OjMkDGU.99

11914765_10156023100030273_1375087451191

Fixtures for tonight. GMT time in the middle column, local time on the left hand column. 

The fixtures highlighted in green are being live streamed on YouTube. 

Guam V Oman : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRO1f-2adj8

Cambodia V Syria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr88DSLpViM

Maldives v China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuqxEeP5Ets

Philippines v Uzbekistan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYGpUMKqHa0

Afganistan v Japan starts sometime between 10pm-12am AEST. 

Remember you can follow all the action on the official AFC Asian Cup twitter account!!  :woah:  :woah:

Oh...some key match ups:

• Malaysia vs Saudi Arabia: Saudis need to rack up some goals and win to bridge the gap with the UAE
  • Oz vs Tajikistan...win well and we clear out some space between us and the pack. 
  • Bangladesh vs Jordan: Jordan would do well to win as it'll possibly draw them closer to us & put pressure on Kyrgyzstan
  • Hong Kong Vs Qatar: maybe the match of the day in terms of importance. If HK can win with a game in hand it'll make Qatar and China's jobs of qualifying even harder. If Qatar draws or wins they can take the lead in Group C
  • China vs Maldives: China can't afford anything but a big win. Draw or lose & they might be kissing goodbye to Russia 2018
  • India vs Iran: A big win against the home team and Iran are going to pressure the Omanis for the lead in Group D
  • Afghanistan Vs Japan: Another opening for the Blue Samurai to score plenty of goals & win easily, thus helping them ascend their group ladder
  • Thailand vs Iraq: a win for the Thais will see them jump 6 points clear of 2nd place on the ladder in group F. Iraq will want to win to possibly claim the group leadership.
  • Lebanon vs South Korea: A win or draw from the home team keeps them in the loop for qualification via Group G
  • Philippines vs Uzbekistan: Uzbekistan will want to win to help narrow the gap between them & North Korea. If the Philippines win they join Kim's Kids at top of Group H