Mental Health Thread 2

mack

2 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

And before you know it, you are going the full Sopranos with your psych.....

Sopranos Gourmet Pizza Pasta & Kebab

$$Pizza restaurant
Standard Italian dishes in a simple outfit with small tables and floor-to-ceiling windows.

Address: 2/22-24 Oak St, Rosehill NSW 2142

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 3AM

i hope my therapist starts getting me kebabs
  • 2 weeks later...

This is probably an offensive unpopular opinion but anyway..

You may have seen on the news a guy went missing from Chester Hill early March with comments about 'concerns for his mental state', and yesterday they found a body out the back of the Hawkesbury somewhere 'no suspicious circumstances' (means one thing).

I knew the guy, we weren't mates or anything & I won't go to the funeral but when I was with my previous partner we'd see them fairly often, she's besties with his wife & we'd go to their house, spent the weekend up at Dubbo zoo etc etc.

His wife was (not anymore, I ended that - long story) my daughter's godmother, that's how closely I knew them.

The thing that shits me up the wall is the guy had 2 kids, a boy around 9 i think and a girl who is 15 this year - whose life is now turned upside down. I can't even begin to imagine what's happening inside their house as i'm typing this. Imagine putting your kids through that ?

I get it, the answer is in the name 'mental illness' it's an illness that needs treatment but how you could just leave your kids like that I have no idea, he'll never teach his son to drive a car, or walk his daughter down the aisle, see his future grandkids - things like that. Everytime a milestone happens they'll think 'I wish dad was here to see it'.

To me it's selfish and that would probably offend people.

I know what it's like to have depression & my worst obviously wasn't on the same level as his worst, but I could never do that to my own daughter, never in a million years. Even at my lowest i'd be thinking 'gotta keep moving for her sake'.

On 12/04/2019 at 8:55 PM, Prydzopolis said:

How is it going Goat? It looks like you’re in good spirits & doing well :) 

the past few days have been a bit less good but not bad, life feels so empty and meaningless, its the same stuff over and over and there is not much i want to do so its not like i can have fun doing other things because there is not many things that i enjoy, but things are not too bad just life is boring i guess

14 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

This is probably an offensive unpopular opinion but anyway..

You may have seen on the news a guy went missing from Chester Hill early March with comments about 'concerns for his mental state', and yesterday they found a body out the back of the Hawkesbury somewhere 'no suspicious circumstances' (means one thing).

I knew the guy, we weren't mates or anything & I won't go to the funeral but when I was with my previous partner we'd see them fairly often, she's besties with his wife & we'd go to their house, spent the weekend up at Dubbo zoo etc etc.

His wife was (not anymore, I ended that - long story) my daughter's godmother, that's how closely I knew them.

The thing that shits me up the wall is the guy had 2 kids, a boy around 9 i think and a girl who is 15 this year - whose life is now turned upside down. I can't even begin to imagine what's happening inside their house as i'm typing this. Imagine putting your kids through that ?

I get it, the answer is in the name 'mental illness' it's an illness that needs treatment but how you could just leave your kids like that I have no idea, he'll never teach his son to drive a car, or walk his daughter down the aisle, see his future grandkids - things like that. Everytime a milestone happens they'll think 'I wish dad was here to see it'.

To me it's selfish and that would probably offend people.

I know what it's like to have depression & my worst obviously wasn't on the same level as his worst, but I could never do that to my own daughter, never in a million years. Even at my lowest i'd be thinking 'gotta keep moving for her sake'.

i can see things from both points of view, a lot of people with mental health issues are convinced that the world and their loved ones are better off without them, while most likely not true they have convinced them self, its a fact to them, i am not saying this is for all people but its a very common thought for a lot of people in that mindset, i am not excusing his actions but sadly for people with those thoughts they can get tortured by their own thoughts that everyone hates them and everyone would be better off if they were dead, even if a loved one is constantly saying nice things to you its easy to convince yourself that they are being nice and dont mean what they are saying

its even worse for people who hear voices(lucky for me i have had some auditory hallucinations but they are rare as in 3 times in my life or so) but some people get constant voices usually very negative or insulting voices

7 hours ago, wendybr said:

Are you still working part time Goat...at the place you didn't like...but at least it was work?

nah work for the dole is over, honestly for me i had to do 4 days a week which isnt too much but the problem with work for the dole at least for me 4 days a week is exhausting for me right now, 0 days a week means i just stay home and do nothing and isolate myself, if i could do 2 days a week for the entire year instead i would prefer that it would force me to go out but not overload me but sadly its not that flexible

and yes i know 4 days a week really isnt that much

2 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

nah work for the dole is over, honestly for me i had to do 4 days a week which isnt too much but the problem with work for the dole at least for me 4 days a week is exhausting for me right now, 0 days a week means i just stay home and do nothing and isolate myself, if i could do 2 days a week for the entire year instead i would prefer that it would force me to go out but not overload me but sadly its not that flexible

and yes i know 4 days a week really isnt that much

So...whoever runs/organises this prefers you to sit at home rather than find a way to get you into some part time arrangement??

Or is it that it was only ever for a designated amount of time?

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

So...whoever runs/organises this prefers you to sit at home rather than find a way to get you into some part time arrangement??

Or is it that it was only ever for a designated amount of time?

its the goverment's decision i think abbott might have implemented it, pretty much 6 months i do 4 days a week from 9 till 4 ish, your job agency picks where you do it, they pick your days, they pick what kind of work you do, you just kinda turn up and do whatever you are meant to

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

And then that's it ….what?   ...for the rest of the year??

The rest of a person's time on income support??

I don't get it.

well for every given year i get 6 months doing work for the dole, 6 months not doing work for the dole

On 23 April 2019 at 12:40 PM, hawks2767 said:

know what it's like to have depression & my worst obviously wasn't on the same level as his worst, but I could never do that to my own daughter, never in a million years. Even at my lowest i'd be thinking 'gotta keep moving for her sake'.

This is a tough dilemma but I think one of those that unless you are in those persons shoes, you just don't know what is happening in their lives or what mental/physical pain they might be suffering. 

When it comes to suicide, they might have a very similar thinking as you did but all it takes is one go & it's all over. Once before I had a really bad migraine attack, I was pretty much catatonic & popping pills to all end then ended up in ED (not due to od just pain). All the doctors were worried about my mental health & I couldn't put the dots together. They were worried that if the pain got too bad that I might commit suicide & it's something I'd never considered before & gave me another perspective on things. I might have done something in that moment to help with my pain that I had never considered before, an act of desperation that only takes one go, one act that is made in isolation where you're not thinking straight & it's all over.

You just don't know what is happening. Unless you're in that exact moment & feeling exactly what he is feeling, you just don't know. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

there is a new proposal which is about helping people with chronic pain which i think is fantastic hopefully it happens

It’s promising dude, things have certainly changed now in the way that doctors treat those people that have a health problem that lasts longer than 3 months

https://www.9news.com.au/national/plan-for-australians-living-with-pain/ec9a898d-f83a-4cc0-9ed1-6c7c7b672e26

Gone are the days when you get prescribed opioids & rest. The numbers effected are staggering & a real burden on the health system. You just hope that these people suffering can now get access to the help that they need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i was reading about people with gambling problems and its depressing how often they get blamed for it, so easy to just call them stupid and blame them, i know anxiety/depression has its stigma but its even worse for those with an addiction to gambling hell i even found myself thinking that a few times which is not a good line of thinking at all

8 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Yes. The GP can give you a “mental health care plan” and refer you to a mental health professional. 

Your GP will also have a list of local mental health professionals some of which will bulk bill under Medicare. These scheme entitles you to up to 10 free sessions for bulk billers, taking away any further stress of fees. My best.

You can get 10 sessions a year on Medicare with mental health plan (likely to be a gap for non bulk billing but it helps) if you have any health insurance you might get another few using that, if you need.

A good GP who you have a strong relationship is important as they can offer other options if needed.

It’s been quite the emotional rollercoaster of a year for me.

I have always suffered from anxiety in one form or another. Be it social anxiety, making me reluctant and withdrawn in unfamiliar social situations, to general anxiety making me question everything I think, say or do in social and professional situations.

My partner of 9.5 years and I found out in March that we were expecting our first child (baby boy, due end of Oct). It is something that was planned and hoped for. And we’re very excited about, and lucky we have successfully conceived without hurdles. The pregnancy itself has been relatively smooth sailing so far too (touch wood).

Literally within days of finding out we were preggers, one of my best mates of the last twenty years died suddenly and unexpectedly. It was a complete shock, particularly for a relatively healthy guy in his early thirties. It was most likely death by misadventure, he’d had a night out drinking and partying with friends, went to bed and never woke up again. Absolutely devastating for all his friends and family. Everyone is still reeling from it and it will take a long time to recover (if we ever fully do).

A month or two after that news, whilst still definitely grieving, I had a crisis at work where something I was involved in got escalated where it ended up in a court scenario, and the work I had done was completely torn to shreds by someone who had vastly more experience in my field than I did.

I had a massive crisis of confidence where I questioned everything. I even questioned whether I really wanted to continue in my chosen work path. Considering the number of hours and literally years I had put in to my chosen career, studying and building experience, it rocked me to my foundations.

I am still a bit unsure whether I want to pursue my career long term, the last six months has really made me question whether I really want to continue on. I have the support of my boss and colleagues, but I can’t help questioning everything and whether it is what I really want.

In my personal life, the missus keeps growing, and we’re now six months in. We’re over the moon expecting our first child, and life in general looks positive. But it doesn’t change all the **** that we’ve been through, and the uncertainty and crisis that I have put myself through.

It is definitely character building, and I will come out the other side better for it, but to go through this whole experience has fundamentally changed my mindset and world view.

Life has a way of knocking you down at times. And all you can do is try and pick yourself up, and dust yourself off to face the next challenge that comes your way.

Thing is, I have so much to look forward to. The love of my life is about to give birth to my first child. Being a baby boy has an even greater significance since I lost my Dad just under four years ago. I am acutely aware that I will be a father to a new generation. I am a father to a son. My father and I had a strained relationship at times, so I really don’t want to **** this up. I feel an acute pressure to be present, engaged and open to whatever challenges come my way (and they will be numerous and all encompassing).

The new challenge is about to begin, and I (we) wait to see what comes of it.

I would much prefer to be able to celebrate our new adventure with my mate, but I can’t. And all I can do is best prepare myself for my future as a new dad, as best as I can. All I can do is ready myself for the birth of my son and prepare my world for his introduction to it. It’ll be tough, and I am not looking forward to the sleep deprivation!

But hey, life goes on. As much as we want life to stay static at times, it does not work that way. All we can do is prepare ourselves as best as possible and wear whatever comes.

It’ll be an interesting 12 months ahead!

Carns,

What an extraordinary amount of stress you have dealt with in the past 6 months. It would be natural to feel a bit knocked about by that. I hope you have good support around you and congratulations on your next exciting adventure....parenting! It’s a steep learning curve, you will make mistakes but the intensity of love you will feel is like nothing else you have ever experienced. Be well. :)