Football Marketing/PR Thread

Target market should be kids who play and get them to hassle their parents to take em the game.

I've given up on most eurosnobs, maybe marketing at them might increase tv ratings but they ain't going to come to a game, they watch on TV then bore me to death posting on Facebook who man utd should sign

I agree wholeheartedly with your first statement. I've always said we're stupid for not trying to target the juniors more. We have the highest rate of participation in the country, let's start converting them to the A-League.

However, I disagree with the Eurosnob thing. IMO you're halfway there with Eurosnobs already. They like football! It will be easier to convert a Eurosnob to the A-League than it would be to convert a neutral or a rusted on AFL or NRL fan.

1. I think we should wait for the whole campaign to be launched before we drag it through the hot coals.

2. IMO, spending a tonne of money on advertising now would be a waste. This is Grand Final week. Just yesterday I listened to a HAL journo who said its a nightmare trying to get any column inches for football for each daily paper. We're not just contending with sports that dominate the back pages this week, they're also dominating the front pages. A launch would end up 20 pages into the sports section and it would cost a fortune due to higher demand for ad space. We just don't (yet) have the money to compete

1. Yes, I'm waiting for the full launch before I completely make-up my mind but from what I've seen so far, it's not looking promising.

2. This one is a tough one. And it all could have been negated if they'd put the bloody Derby in Round 3. I agree, we are absolutely not going to get any traditional media traction this week. We will struggle to get articles or airtime. So yes, a big launch should be put off to next week when you ramp up the advertising and media appearances. However, I reckon they've left it too late. I guarantee most people would probably have plans already. A last minute advertising blitz may grab a few, but not as many as it could in just week.

If it was me, I'd be doing a slow build. There's no harm in putting some online advertising up about a month out. I reckon they should have even done a bit of a blitz when tickets went on sale and generated some hype that way. Put a few radio ads on air. Strategically place a couple of TV ads where there will be eyes. A few during the SBS EPL coverage would have worked really well. It doesn't have to be their fancy ad campaign, just some highlights, crowd shots and a tagline like "It's coming" or "It's almost here". Slowly build some hype so people actually know it's on and then hit them fully next week.

As I said though, they could have done themselves a favour and just put the Derby on in Round 3 and then there wouldn't be this issue.

In a way you are half way there with match going NRL fans, they already get out of the house and experience a live game and they already emotionally invest in a local team. It's just selling them on a different sport. There are plenty of converted NRL fans in our support

As for Eurosnob, I guess it depends on what you define Eurosnob.

There is a huge untapped market of people who grew up on football and it runs in family and culture. For example when Portugal won the euros new Canterbury road was packed with football fans singing, banging drums letting off the odd flare. That's a market that the a league has largely failed to engage (I have no idea how you do).

But the nobs that bore me to death talking about who mourinho should / shouldn't sign and why ross Barkley needs to move to a "big club"... They are a lost cause, the big European leagues will always be better (due to money etc) and they are more than happy watching on tv and playing Fifa on the PlayStation

Personally we are better off without em anyway

We should be selling the whole match day ritual, experience and connection to local people.

I have set an important part of your question in Italics and Bold and the answer to said question in Bold.

I hope this helps.

Surely the FFA have something up their sleeve to show the public how many of our current Socceroos got their start in the a-league. All you have to do is show the transition of players like Rogic/Kruse/Ryan etc. from a-league starlet to national team regulars. See tomorrow's Socceroos today.

That's a great catch phrase GD

Took this shot while I was on my lunch break.

#EastisWest

Surprised there's no cove stickers on it yet
Both of these Santalab signs are super close to my place. I will routinely check them to make sure they're protected :good:

get a sniper rifle and if anyone even approaches those signs snipe them, aim for the knee

Took this shot while I was on my lunch break.

#EastisWest

Surprised there's no cove stickers on it yet
Both of these Santalab signs are super close to my place. I will routinely check them to make sure they're protected :good:

get a sniper rifle and if anyone even approaches those signs snipe them, aim for the knee

Too risky Goat, what if I miss and hit the glorious sign?

Keep brainstorming

Long time listener, first time caller...

I reckon this is the year that the proper Eurosnobs (non english) take HAL seriously. And I thank Optus for that.

Optus taking EPL rights means only the EPL diehards watch it religiously now (wtf use is optus fetch anyway?)

Proper/other Euros of the clan-known-as-snobs will be curious about players they've heard of (e.g. Timmeh!) coming to the domestic league and might give it a proper go.

Seeing as they aren't likely to be talking Leicester City at work on Mondays as much.

I reckon this is the year that the proper Eurosnobs (non english) take HAL seriously. And I thank Optus for that.

Optus taking EPL rights means only the EPL diehards watch it religiously now (wtf use is optus fetch anyway?)

Proper/other Euros of the clan-known-as-snobs will be curious about players they've heard of (e.g. Timmeh!) coming to the domestic league and might give it a proper go.

Seeing as they aren't likely to be talking Leicester City at work on Mondays as much.

Welcome Joja :good:

Welcome Joja :good:

And nice first post :good:

Gloves are about to come off.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/09/28/independent-league-inevitable-claim-club-chiefs

an APFCA source:

"The clubs are particularly disturbed by the federations ongoing bid to avoid FIFA scrutiny and Gallop's comments on their values and aspirations."

"The FFA claims the A-League is their top priority but there is nothing they have dome to back that up."

"The clubs, according to the source, feel FIFA has "a lot of sympathy" for them in their push for reform and will be forced to cede their iron grasp on the game."

Gloves are about to come off.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/09/28/independent-league-inevitable-claim-club-chiefs

an APFCA source:

"The clubs are particularly disturbed by the federations ongoing bid to avoid FIFA scrutiny and Gallop's comments on their values and aspirations."

"The FFA claims the A-League is their top priority but there is nothing they have dome to back that up."

"The clubs, according to the source, feel FIFA has "a lot of sympathy" for them in their push for reform and will be forced to cede their iron grasp on the game."

Not a fan of an independently run game, at least at this point.

What is needed is better leadership at the FFA. Gallop has been proven to be way out of his depth. Lowy in there through nepotism. If the FFA were run better would this still be an issue for the clubs? If it was, we'd know for sure it was just greedy businessmen. As it stands the club's have plenty of legitimate frustrations.

As for FIFA, would this be an issue if Lowy was still buddy-buddy with them? The entire sport is rotten.

FFA doesn't see itself as the custodian of the game, but as the owner. FIFA disagrees.

AFC has issues with FFA.

And the clubs haven't got much time for Gallop and co either. Del Pietro couldn't have been more blunt last year.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-di-pietro-condemns-ffa-over-aleague-mediocrity-and-lack-of-fan-backing-20151202-gldq21.html

FFA doesn't see itself as the custodian of the game, but as the owner. FIFA disagrees.

AFC has issues with FFA.

And the clubs haven't got much time for Gallop and co either. Del Pietro couldn't have been more blunt last year.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-di-pietro-condemns-ffa-over-aleague-mediocrity-and-lack-of-fan-backing-20151202-gldq21.html

Well when you ask one guy to come and "save" the game, is it any wonder there is a feeling of ownership there? Not saying it's right, just saying.

I still think this wouldn't be an issue if we had a competent leader. Gallop was a typical Lowy appointment, he's got no clue how to run a sport and got away with it to a degree at the NRL because 90% of the people in league are useless when it comes to anything outside the field. He's being shown up in football because it's bigger, more complex and requires amazing stakeholder relationship skills, one of his weakest attributes.

Stephen Lowy is an uninspiring appointment based on nepotism.

A competent FFA would have avoided this altogether and the issue of who "owns" the a-league would not need to be brought up.

Just noticed the Wanderers Twitter account past 100k followers. They're the first club to do so. Also the GWS AFL account is following them.

25K of those followers are members of the NSW police service.

As for GWS following them, they want to know what is happening in western Sydney so they can mock up some westie tweets.

P.S.

SBS proclaiming themselves as the home of football (still) during their EPL pre-game coverage, yet nary a whisper of the upcoming A-League season. Optus not allowing them to mention the local product?  :ninja:

Great to hear that they are showing it but a bit disappointed that they aren't pushing it too much.

Perhaps after knowing that they couldn't keep the A-League with the new TV deal coming up, it isn't worth trying to build hype for a league that they won't be showing after 16/17?