Football Marketing/PR Thread

To my way of thinking the problem the game has with MSM is that the people running the game believe that we need to get them on side, when in reality that's not going to happen to the level that other codes are. The games management actually support the bullshit in the papers as they think this is what the game needs to be portrayed so that AFL and NRL fans will come to games

What the game needs to do is promote what different about the game and that's the fans passion and if you don't like it stay at home. Simples!.

I fully expect papers to give it to us next week, as isolated incidents become football culture issues that need to be stamped out and the FFA saying we agree.

*Spoiler alert*

Yoshi ends up following Melbourne Knights :ninja:

confirmed. Yoshi was an NSL bitter who refused to support an a-league club from day 1 and despite gallop's best efforts, has resigned himself to following only european football and state league football.

Yoshi's parents are Northern Spirit bitters

I like Yoshi's adventures as a marketing ploy....Not sure if it belongs here or Unpopular opinions thread..

I do too...having only just seen it for the first time!! :xnod:

I'm still a bit behind on this thread, and catching up....so opinions now might have swung to the positive side.

So far, this is probably the first out and out positive post as I've skimmed through this thread.  :good:

The target market (as I heard Gallop say it was) is obviously those couple of million people who play(ed) at junior level, but whose commitment to the sport hasn't translated into signing up for their local A League team (to me it's obvious that the intention is to have the the majority signing up to their local team.... not some random club).

I hope it is successful!

EDIT Some more positive comments have followed Dmix's quoted post.... and Speccy has had positive things to say from the start.

I'm thinking it's a winner.... but it will depend on how much exposure it gets,  I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol yeah a 10 year old developed these requirements for decision.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/yoshi-chooses-his-hyundai-a-league-team/1nlxss4ruvbxg1pv2bz90tuy3z

The thing I can't believe about this campaign is how much crap they need to explain everything. I was gonna raise this when it was launched, but I liked the ads so left it alone. But right from the start they have made you wade through pages of explanation to get an understanding of what is going on.

They should have had a "where's yoshi" clearly on the front page of the website, taking you to an interactive map where you could follow him around, watch the videos at each site. Drawn it out - this week he's at Brisbane etc etc. Make it fun!!

Instead, we got pages of explanation, you had to search around to find the videos of all the teams - which were all released at the same time - and now another page of garbage before you find out why he made the decision.

Great idea, decent ads, terrible campaign.

I'm going to post that wank of an article so that it doesn't get more clicks (thus showing how successful it is). What a load of ******* tripe, marketing speak 101.

The Hyundai A-League and its 10 clubs started the season with a bid to attract more young fans to the game after research revealed that more than half of kids aged 15 years and under were yet to make a solid commitment to support a team - because ultimately You’ve Gotta Have A Team.

Enter 10-year-old Yoshi, the hero of our story, after playing in a spring football competition last year, Yoshi has immersed himself in football and yet still lacked a Hyundai A-League team to call his own.

Over the past few months, all 10 Hyundai A-League clubs have stepped up their on-field rivalry and gone head-to-head to vie for Yoshi’s support. Yoshi, who high fived over 90 players, travelled over 15,000kms, shook the hands of eight Hyundai A-League captains and took more than 1600 photos, visited the clubs and gave them all the opportunity to win his support.

Further to the individual club visits, Yoshi has been closely following this season’s opening matches, as he weighed up which club should win his support. To help him with his selection, Yoshi based it on four factors that were most important to him:

1.      Family: Are the clubs welcoming to a family crowd and inclusive for all ages? Being a 10 year old himself he is seeking a club that encourages the younger fans?

2.      Team: Do the clubs have strong, friendly players with personality that Yoshi could relate to and admire?

3.      Performance/Play: Do the team perform well together, make chances and deliver an exciting experience. Whilst Yoshi knows that with his decision he is in for the long haul and some seasons his chosen club will perform better than others, he wants a dynamic club that push themselves to create opportunities on the pitch.

4.      Fans: Do the clubs have a proud fan base, will Yoshi be in good company?

Whilst all the clubs put on a great show there could only be one winner, and Melbourne City stole the show and Yoshi’s lifelong support, ticking all his boxes.

However, above and beyond the great family atmosphere he witnessed, Tim Cahill’s stunning 35m strike, which Yoshi was privileged to see in person and the bicycle kick tutorial he got from Bruno Fornaroli, it was the club’s welcoming and supportive attitude that sealed the deal.

“Making the final decision was a lot harder than I had ever imagined,†commented Yoshi, “I had such a fantastic time with each of the clubs. 

"Playing football on top of Mt. Victoria with some of the Wellington Phoenix team was pretty awesome, so was getting to go in a helicopter with Bernie Ibini from Sydney FC. Also meeting and getting penalty training from Aloisi was pretty unreal, he’s such a legend.â€

“However, I knew Melbourne City was a club I wanted to support when, at the end of the day’s filming, Tim Cahill told me that whatever club I picked I’d be welcome back to see them anytime as their guest,†commented Yoshi, when describing why the team got his vote.

“The fact that they would be supportive of me, whatever choice I made, I thought was really cool. It was this clubs spirit and attitude that really appealed to me the most.â€

FFA CEO David Gallop paid tribute to the effect of Yoshi’s journey and congratulated Melbourne City for the efforts of their players and staff in truly engaging with Yoshi.

“The season has start fantastically well with attendances up 33% and viewership up 50%, backed up by impressive performances on the pitch,†Gallop said.

"It is a massive credit to Melbourne City and their fan engagement that Yoshi had such a good experience when he went to their training centre, match day and spent time with the players.

“Yoshi may have selected Melbourne City but the early season surge in attendance and TV ratings shows that thousands of others have also picked their team.

“Our ambition with this initiative was to showcase each of the clubs’ distinctive attributes so those fans and families who’ve yet to select their team can have a better understanding of what each team represents and showcase their personality to make an informed decision.

"We hope that Yoshi’s extraordinary journey has done just that and will continue to inspire other young Aussies to show their support and pick a club to call their own.

“To truly feel everything football has to offer … you’ve gotta have a team!â€

Making the final decision was very tough for Yoshi as he was quite simply blown away by all the effort put in by each of the clubs to give him a personalized experience and memories that will stay with him for life, but ultimately there can only be one winner. 

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/yoshi-chooses-his-hyundai-a-league-team/1nlxss4ruvbxg1pv2bz90tuy3z#WHpmzTCkEh3LCzxI.99

lol gallop be like right so advert budget will be spread as per below 

Melbourne C$ty and there oil money- 95% of the advert budget

everything else- 5%

Like seriously the only two things they have done to promote the league is pump up cahill and city, and this yoshi kid who chooses city aswell lol (and one of his main reason is because cahill said something cool WHAT A SHOCKER), im mean **** promoting phoenix, jets, ccm, Brisbane..all the teams that could use the promotion, or god for bid we promote the whole league. :nono:

I note actually being able to go the game was not a criteria.

"To truly experience everything football has got to offer, you gotta have a team"

Even if it is 1000km away and you just watch it on TV? Might as well follow EPL if you are just going to watch it on telly

I'm going to post that wank of an article so that it doesn't get more clicks (thus showing how successful it is). What a load of ******* tripe, marketing speak 101.

Good idea. For some reason I can't edit my post (why can you edit some and not others?) so I can't take it out.

I note actually being able to go the game was not a criteria.

"To truly experience everything football has got to offer, you gotta have a team"

Even if it is 1000km away and you just watch it on TV? Might as well follow EPL if you are just going to watch it on telly

It's stupid hey. The main thing that sets this apart from other sports is the atmosphere / sense of community etc. But nah, not a word about liking the closest team. Probably because they still only have 10 and so there are so many people nowhere near a team. 

The Hyundai A-League and its 10 clubs started the season with a bid to attract more young fans to the game after research revealed that more than half of kids aged 15 years and under were yet to make a solid commitment to support a team - because ultimately You’ve Gotta Have A Team.

Enter 10-year-old Yoshi, the hero of our story, after playing in a spring football competition last year, Yoshi has immersed himself in football and yet still lacked a Hyundai A-League team to call his own.

Over the past few months, all 10 Hyundai A-League clubs have stepped up their on-field rivalry and gone head-to-head to vie for Yoshi’s support. Yoshi, who high fived over 90 players, travelled over 15,000kms, shook the hands of eight Hyundai A-League captains and took more than 1600 photos, visited the clubs and gave them all the opportunity to win his support.

Further to the individual club visits, Yoshi has been closely following this season’s opening matches, as he weighed up which club should win his support. To help him with his selection, Yoshi based it on four factors that were most important to him:

1.      Family: Are the clubs welcoming to a family crowd and inclusive for all ages? Being a 10 year old himself he is seeking a club that encourages the younger fans?

2.      Team: Do the clubs have strong, friendly players with personality that Yoshi could relate to and admire?

3.      Performance/Play: Do the team perform well together, make chances and deliver an exciting experience. Whilst Yoshi knows that with his decision he is in for the long haul and some seasons his chosen club will perform better than others, he wants a dynamic club that push themselves to create opportunities on the pitch.

4.      Fans: Do the clubs have a proud fan base, will Yoshi be in good company?

Whilst all the clubs put on a great show there could only be one winner, and Melbourne City stole the show and Yoshi’s lifelong support, ticking all his boxes.

However, above and beyond the great family atmosphere he witnessed, Tim Cahill’s stunning 35m strike, which Yoshi was privileged to see in person and the bicycle kick tutorial he got from Bruno Fornaroli, it was the club’s welcoming and supportive attitude that sealed the deal.

“Making the final decision was a lot harder than I had ever imagined,†commented Yoshi, “I had such a fantastic time with each of the clubs. 

"Playing football on top of Mt. Victoria with some of the Wellington Phoenix team was pretty awesome, so was getting to go in a helicopter with Bernie Ibini from Sydney FC. Also meeting and getting penalty training from Aloisi was pretty unreal, he’s such a legend.â€

“However, I knew Melbourne City was a club I wanted to support when, at the end of the day’s filming, Tim Cahill told me that whatever club I picked I’d be welcome back to see them anytime as their guest,†commented Yoshi, when describing why the team got his vote.

“The fact that they would be supportive of me, whatever choice I made, I thought was really cool. It was this clubs spirit and attitude that really appealed to me the most.â€

FFA CEO David Gallop paid tribute to the effect of Yoshi’s journey and congratulated Melbourne City for the efforts of their players and staff in truly engaging with Yoshi.

“The season has start fantastically well with attendances up 33% and viewership up 50%, backed up by impressive performances on the pitch,†Gallop said.

"It is a massive credit to Melbourne City and their fan engagement that Yoshi had such a good experience when he went to their training centre, match day and spent time with the players.

“Yoshi may have selected Melbourne City but the early season surge in attendance and TV ratings shows that thousands of others have also picked their team.

“Our ambition with this initiative was to showcase each of the clubs’ distinctive attributes so those fans and families who’ve yet to select their team can have a better understanding of what each team represents and showcase their personality to make an informed decision.

"We hope that Yoshi’s extraordinary journey has done just that and will continue to inspire other young Aussies to show their support and pick a club to call their own.

“To truly feel everything football has to offer … you’ve gotta have a team!â€

Making the final decision was very tough for Yoshi as he was quite simply blown away by all the effort put in by each of the clubs to give him a personalized experience and memories that will stay with him for life, but ultimately there can only be one winner. 

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/yoshi-chooses-his-hyundai-a-league-team/1nlxss4ruvbxg1pv2bz90tuy3z#WHpmzTCkEh3LCzxI.99

TLDR version: "Family friendly blah blah blah Tim Cahill"

Good idea. For some reason I can't edit my post (why can you edit some and not others?) so I can't take it out.

If you're a member (of the forum) you get 10 minutes (if memory serves me correctly) to edit your post.

As a donator I can edit my posts hours afterwards (and when I can no longer edit them I can delete them).

It's quite obvious that City, vi$ion and this kid Yoshi are the link for the A-league to the big commercial networks like Seven. They love this kind of fluffy, cult of celebrity type stuff, and that's why Gallop has a hard on for it.

In a way it is a bit of a dilemma. Being with the big commercial networks solidifies your future, but it also compromises a lot in terms of trying to maintain that raw, honest appeal that you have that attracted people in the first place. The commercial networks tend to like things slick and sanitized, with a good dose of arse licking PR thrown in.

In a way it is a bit of a dilemma. Being with the big commercial networks solidifies your future, but it also compromises a lot ...

There's a term that historians will slowly start to discover in a few years time once the reality of its extinction kicks in.... "Integrity".

Ne'er a truer post was... err... posted.

Put it in the wrong thread, thought it deserves to be in here, The direction of this campaign annoys me greatly (gear grindingly s0) but a part of me expected nothing less from the FFA

This is the thing, I actually understand what he is saying about manufactured. Everything about this Yoshi bullshit screams plastic bullshit but something feels different about our club & community. Yes we are a product of modern football, created in FFA's boardroom blah blah blah but is this really what we have to do to grow our sport? How depressing.

At the same time I am laughing hysterically about how much of a joke this is, a boy from western Sydney supporting a club down in Melbourne. It is just so wrong, they could have done a Yoshi for every state or taken a different path & infact I would have been more comfortable with him picking Easts over that bunch but no. The FFA have plunged $3m of money they don't have into Cahill's pockets & need to get a return on there investment. The decision to host the FFA final in Melbourne makes even more sense now & having all the City games on FTA so the Yoshi generation can watch Melbourne Vision. The metrics must be going crazy, look everyone is talking about Yoshi, unfortunately we are all taking the the piss how much of a joke it has all become!

Instead of talking about how Yoshi turns up for his team every week, it will be about Yoshi who lives in the battling western suburbs of Sydney, can't afford to travel to travel to Melbourne to watch city regularly let alone afford Foxtel to watch the A-League. Grows up expecting marquee after marquee to stimulate his excitement in the game, loses interest & becomes a Eurosnob. What a great marketing campaign this turned out to be :nono:

Btron

Lol yeah a 10 year old developed these requirements for decision.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/yoshi-chooses-his-hyundai-a-league-team/1nlxss4ruvbxg1pv2bz90tuy3z

The thing I can't believe about this campaign is how much crap they need to explain everything. I was gonna raise this when it was launched, but I liked the ads so left it alone. But right from the start they have made you wade through pages of explanation to get an understanding of what is going on.

They should have had a "where's yoshi" clearly on the front page of the website, taking you to an interactive map where you could follow him around, watch the videos at each site. Drawn it out - this week he's at Brisbane etc etc. Make it fun!!

Instead, we got pages of explanation, you had to search around to find the videos of all the teams - which were all released at the same time - and now another page of garbage before you find out why he made the decision.

Great idea, decent ads, terrible campaign.

A comment in the media thread was, we shouldn't be annoyed because we weren't the target of this advertisement campaign. Clearly, kids weren't the target of this campaign either...

Sorry folks I'm going off to support Perth now. Never been there but they've fulfilled the criteria in the pdf file sent to me by the FFA when I asked about why the **** Yoshi picked vision City when he's from Sydney.

To be fair to Yoshi... he is the perfect age to join the Melburnians.

I heard he was the one who made the mooy tifo??