FFA Failure: The Sunset Of David Gallop

If ever there was any question over the delusion at FFA HQ check out the heading above their Facebook post for the article.

”Members of Football Federation Australia’s Congress have not passed a resolution which would have increased representation for women, professional clubs and professional players.”

Bye bye.

1 hour ago, Carns said:

Full press conference:

https://www.myfootball.com.au/video/full-press-conference-steven-lowy-and-david-gallop

I watched most of it live and it's a train wreck.

Just watched it. Thoughts:

What a condescending muther****er SLowy is. Talking down to everyone with that smarmy smirk on his face. No wonder he can’t win people over.

How dare he try and blame the clubs for there not being any expansion. What a rude attempt to rewrite history after they botched the expansion story so many times. 

Bit disappointed in the journos. No-one called him out on the expansion plan bs excuse, and no-one asked why they wouldn’t agree to the 9-5-1-1 model or if they had another options. SLowy said they’d been working on a resolution for a year - you can’t keep banging people over the head for a year with the same proposal. No-one asked why they wouldn’t share more fiscal info with the clubs or been more transparent about where the cash goes. It’s days like this we miss Cockerill.

How can you complain about who the owners are when you let them in? I’ve got no doubt some of them don’t care about the Socceroos and Matildas etc, but the job of leaders is to inspire confidence and bring others along. Gallop and Lowy fail miserably at that. If the owners felt they were in good hands we wouldn’t be here.

Unbelievable that a normalisation committee is probably the best outcome.

42 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Just watched it. Thoughts:

What a condescending muther****er SLowy is. Talking down to everyone with that smarmy smirk on his face. No wonder he can’t win people over.

How dare he try and blame the clubs for there not being any expansion. What a rude attempt to rewrite history after they botched the expansion story so many times. 

Bit disappointed in the journos. No-one called him out on the expansion plan bs excuse, and no-one asked why they wouldn’t agree to the 9-5-1-1 model or if they had another options. SLowy said they’d been working on a resolution for a year - you can’t keep banging people over the head for a year with the same proposal. No-one asked why they wouldn’t share more fiscal info with the clubs or been more transparent about where the cash goes. It’s days like this we miss Cockerill.

How can you complain about who the owners are when you let them in? I’ve got no doubt some of them don’t care about the Socceroos and Matildas etc, but the job of leaders is to inspire confidence and bring others along. Gallop and Lowy fail miserably at that. If the owners felt they were in good hands we wouldn’t be here.

Unbelievable that a normalisation committee is probably the best outcome.

Great post.

I just don't get the mindset of those in charge.

Truly a sad day for the sport in this country.

Got to love #sokkahtwitter covering the #FFApocalypse

On the press conference: 

Incredible statement from Steven Lowy, deflecting from his desperate attempt to hold on to power. Interestingly neglected to rebuff on any of the dialogue in the build up to the EGM rather just created his own version of reality. Much of what he says is sensible, but if you’ve been following the drama unfold, it’s a narrative of his own creation and he is the roadblock preventing the game move forward.

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Bit disappointed in the journos

Let’s be honest, you’re dealing with the chairman of the FFA & you could see the (delusion and) frustration bubbling. What good apart from cutting ties and ruining relationships would it have served to publicly grill him? They subtly pushed him on a few stories and there was more than enough in what he said to fill the papers. 

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

How can you complain about who the owners are when you let them in?

I would dismiss most of what sLowy said in that press conference, it was scare mongering and deflection (to the point of delusion). This is not to dismiss that the clubs don’t have alternative objectives but the model proposed was never going to allow the clubs to have carte blanch over the FFA.

Journos will never go as hard as they should, because they don't want to piss off either side, regardless of who wins they will know what a journo did to the last guy, or you go hard, and Lowy's stays in power and then you're screwed. Plus even if a guy like Lowy is ousted, his dad can still cause you huge problems since he's incredibly rich.

10 minutes ago, tardotz said:

He kept on saying the A-league clubs want 60% of the money but he doesn't say what % of the revenue the A-league brings in.

Thats an interesting point that has never been spelled out clearly.  The clubs have claimed at various times anything between 60% and 80% and $60m and $80m.  The most recent I have seen on two occasions was $60m solely A-League generated plus additional shared revenue.

I had a look at the annual accounts and review to try and work it out from there.  Of the $40m in the smaller categories I concluded that about $30m was FFA revenue which leaves $39m for  broadcast rights and $26m for sponsorship to try to split up.  With the FFA now not having the broadcast rights to official AFC mens games I'd expect that maybe $5m would be FFA revenue.  With sponsorship I would reckon that the split that is the FFA's would be a significantly higher percentage so maybe the figure again is around $5m.  So for what it is worth my calculation of the split is $65m A-League and $40m for FFA plus or minus whatever you want to allow.

In my opinion quoting in percentages is not the right way to go because the total revenue varies across the 4 years of the WC cycle quite considerably whereas A-League revenue is fairly stable across the broadcast rights cycle.

It’s an interesting point Flytox and I always like that you are across some of the finer details of this issue, but for me the real sticking point is not money and power.

The money and power grab is a by-product of their incompetence and inability to sell a, dare I say it, vision.

If they’d been transparent about the funds (with the clubs, not rival sports) and related them to a strategic plan, then this potentially could have been avoided.

They have absolutely no goodwill left with any stakeholders except the ones that are beholden to them.

4 hours ago, Jowel said:

Are the Lowys simply trying to cover up all the dodgy stuff done during the 2018/22 World Cup bid? 

Will Ange return to the Socceroos job once these clowns have been thrown out?

Once the FFA board has gone and the Lowy grip of the FFA has gone, I'm sure some interesting revelations will come out which has thus far been hidden from the public. Not just in regards to the World Cup but overall

Ange? It was thrown out there as a possibility but to me it seems he is done.

Lucy and Foz take Lowy and the administration of the FFA to town, worth the listen. Essentially just a massive rant and take down. There are some nice insights from the players perspective but Foz craps on too much about the PFA at times & not too much about it from the clubs perspective  

Also, found this: Interesting to hear Tony Sage’s brief comments after lowy’s Poor remarks on Thursday

Well what have they actually done? The FFA Cup is the only progressive initiative that has come about under their tenure and I’d argue that it was one of those things that was happening regardless of who was in charge. 

Other than that all they’ve done is say no or stall things. 

17 hours ago, leslie said:

That's an interesting statement about A league contributing 90%of FFA revenue. If true, you can understand them wanting to get some more back. Presumably a fare bit of that is from the final series, where the FFA collect the revenue and not the clubs.

Gate takings for the finals series last season was $3.7m.  Gate takings for the Socceroos was $4.1m.  Gate takings from the FFA Cup $0.4m.

The $9.97m from levies on all players paid through the State Feds is just about 10% on its own without taking into account $5.2m from State Governments for hosting rights to Socceroos games.  Just those three revenue sources is near 20% and there are a lot more that are purely FFA revenue.  90% is nonsense, di Pietro said 70% recently and that is probably a bit high.

• mack locked this topic