FFA Failure: The Sunset Of David Gallop

Gallop was interviewed on the Melbourne AFL Radio Station by Gerard Whately.  

Multiple issues covered.

Congress

Marketing (blame on multiple non-football sporting events)

FTA rating

Expansion 

True Marquees requiring $11m beyond reach of current club owners

Supporters

New Socceroo coach 

Possible farewell game in Australia must give a commercial return

Elite junior costs needs bigger funding  (top-down) to reduce fees.

On top of that, when i looked up sen on my phone browser, an ad was there for Friday's game between us and the Jets.

If you want to listen to it, type in Whately on your podcast app search engine and download today's episode (14 Feb 2018) and listen to the first 15 minutes or so.

18 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

If it’s anything like the quotes he gave with this article 

:rolleyes: 

Yep. The article was a summary of the interview with Whately.

I think that the interview gives a lot more and, unfortunately, looks like FIFA are not going to turf them out. But worth a listen for current FFA think.  one positive for Gallop is that he is referring to our game as football.

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Of course, those never tell the full story, the quality of the football has been high, Sydney FC have just played beautiful football and look almost unstoppable.

Beautiful football? Like last night, right? Results aren't the same as playing beautiful football.

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I think that the interview gives a lot more and, unfortunately, looks like FIFA are not going to turf them out. But worth a listen for current FFA think.  one positive for Gallop is that he is referring to our game as football.

Says a lot about the state of our game if that's a highlight from our CEO.

4 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

So the game needs to be better marketed!  Duhhhh!  And whose responsibility is it?  Who has failed abysmally in this regard?  Why haven't you fulfilled your remit in your job?  Why haven't you resigned?  How much do you get paid to tell us what anyone on this forum could tell the world for free?  Get out now and take Lowy with you before things get worse.

6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

So he knows what at least one of the F's stand for in FFA.

13 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

Growing the game FFA style - FMD.

"Professional clubs stand on the brink of joining the nine club administrations that have already become insolvent in the first 14 years of the A-League.

"There are clear symptoms of a potential impending catastrophic collapse of the professional game in Australia and these can be directly linked to the governance issue at hand."

The headline should read "paychecks ahead of anything else". Looks like FFA was set up as a retirement fund for the Lowys (as if they need it) and their buddies. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/02/22/ffa-puts-its-own-survival-ahead-embattled-league

"Survival ... has become the raison d’etre of chairman Steven Lowy and his leadership cabal, no matter what cost to the Australian game.

Experts in deflection, delays, obfuscation, and dividing and conquering, Australia’s peak body views its hold on absolute power as a non-negotiable right, handed down from father to son."

Get it done, FIFA! I never thought I'd cheer for this lot.

---

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/23/fifa-flexes-muscles-in-australian-footballs-governance-saga

"Fifa and AFC delegates arrived in Australia this week determined to break the impasse. Now they have established their authority they have to act upon it. The A-League clubs rammed home this point during a coruscating presentation on Wednesday with grievance after specific grievance attached directly to a Fifa statute. They did so following a preamble that tied the present situation to Fifa’s own historic embarrassments, reminding the delegates they have been directly involved in this saga for two long years now, and ending with a challenge that cuts to the heart of Gianni Infantino’s regime. “The guiding principles for the Fifa 2.0 vision are transparency, accountability, inclusivity and cooperation. We believe that these should be the guiding principles of the CRWG and the recommendations it makes”.

[...]

"Football in Australia is crying out to move on from this miserable chapter and take advantage of the benefits congress reform can offer. Fifa has taken the initiative, now it needs to see the job through."

You've got to love the APFCA statements :-)

---

https://apfca.com.au/apfca-statement-in-response-to-ffa-expansion-claims/https://apfca.com.au/apfca-statement-in-response-to-ffa-expansion-claims/

"The FFA deals with the APFCA through the media and not directly. The reason is because there is no trust or goodwill between the two bodies. [FFA expansion] is a smokescreen of the highest order. This is the last-gasp attempt by the FFA board to portray football as a happy family in Australia. We are collaborating to develop and improve the A-League, (but) in truth they ignore us on every issue of any significance.

Unless and until there is an independent A-League without the involvement of the FFA – other than being the national federation – then one cannot imagine that any commercial entity would agree to join the A-League if they are required to do so on the same draconian conditions that the existing A-League clubs endure.

https://apfca.com.au/apfca-makes-submission-to-fifaafc-delegation/

Our view is:

i. That the FFA Board has effectively disqualified itself from participation in the CRWG.

39 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

It’s absolutely farcical this, and has been for years. The fact that the FFA simply don’t talk to people is amazing. How do they expect to get people on side if they don’t interact?

Dictators don't communicate, or listen. They dictate. 

23 hours ago, FCB said:

Dictators don't communicate, or listen. They dictate. 

Even dictators listen to people

They still need to make a group of people happy - and this group is the group of people that keep them in power

In a democracy, the group of people is large and we get reforms that help everyone. Like in Australia, everyone who is registered to vote can have a say in who runs the place - and in return we get roads, schools, stadiums (?) and they benefit the masses

In a dictatorship, the group of people is small and you'll see this manifest in favours and advantageous business deals to these "stakeholders". 

I guess in the FFAs case, they fund the state federation and their chiefs to keep them in power during board meeting votes. But now that this board has to expand, they need to start helping more and more people out - and not just themselves. Why would they fund cheaper representative football or cheaper tickets to A-League games if we, the grassroots community who will benefit from it, don't even have a say in who runs the FFA? Who cares if the media trashes the RBB? The RBB don't keep the FFA in power, at least not directly...

This change needs to happen.

31 minutes ago, mack said:

Gallop has apparently been given a 2 year extension. Wonderful.

Ugh. I'm off to my happy place.

Which, by the way,  is a universe where the Ffa is run by a trumvirate of Les Murray and Johnny Warren and David Squires, the A league has 18 teams, specially built football stadiums with sandpits and awesome food. The Wanderers have won several championships. All is right with the world. Oh, and Alexander skarsgard is interested and available. 

• mack locked this topic