Melbourne Victory: Season 2017/18

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Victory not happy with signings (lack of). 

They have lost 4 grand final starting players or let them go.

Baro (let go) replaced by Rhys Williams.

ben khalfallah (let go) replaced by Barbarouses 

Rojas (transfer to Holland)

Georgievski (to Jets)

non-GF starters.

ansell (let go) replaced by Deng on loan return 

mahazi retired from football for family reasons.

Being in the ACL they've probably got a big outside the cap bump for 6 match payments.

Also, lol @ Troisi the flog, could have been playing in the Premier League.

Victory Cap status would look something like this:

Two marquees (Berisha & Milligan)

Cap for 17/18 is at least $2.85 million, it might even be a little bit more than this.

Marquees:
1. Berisha
2. Milligan

Homeground Players - $150k outside the cap for players U23 from Youth team. One on 41k minimum, 2 on 55k minimum for 20+ and you have no cap exposure.
3. Christian Theoharous
4. Thomas Deng
5. Stefan *****

Loyalty Players - $200k outside the cap as a percentage from 25% to 50% for 5-10+ years at club
6. Broxham - 12 Seasons - 50% outside the cap. He could be on $350k with only 175k counted in cap.
7. Jason Geria - 6th season - 25% outside the cap. I'd think he'd be on around 175k. 25k outside cap, 150k inside.

If Broxham is on less than 350k, you could bump up the amount Geria has outside the cap, to add it to the rest of the money below.

Mature age Rookie - Not included in the cap or the player roster. Could be used to reduce cap exposure by signing one of these in place of a 21/22/23rd squad player, or adding a 24th squad member for more squad depth. 
8. It wouldn't be hard to find someone. I might pick up a 3rd keeper for this spot especially if my youth keepers were still too young to risk playing them in the A-League.

So far your squad is made up of:
2 Marquees - Outside cap
2 Loyalty Players - $325k in the cap.
1 Homegrown U20 Player - Outside cap
2 Homegrown U23 Players - Outside cap
1 Mature Age Rookie - Outside Cap - Used as "26th" squad member.

8 Players

That leaves you with 2.52 million.
Add 2 u20 players - $83,066 - 3 U20 spots filled - 2.43m left - 10 players total
Add 8 first team minimum wage players - $445,720 - 1.98m left - 18 players total (16 out of 23 first team)

You need to fill 7 spots with 1.98 million. Your first 11 already has 2 marquees and 2 loyalty players, which means 7 players left, with an average of about 280k which is very doable. If you have trouble, just sign 1 less minimum wage player and you can give another 55k to a good player. If you take this 1.98 million for 7, and reduce it to 6 players minus Troisi's 570k, you can still spread 1.39 million for the other 6, which is a 230k average.

And finally, these figures only apply to the A-League (and maybe FFA Cup, although FFA might allow teams to include some bonuses specifically for this competition, I'm not sure). It doesn't apply to the ACL, as far as I know players will receive additional match payments for playing in the ACL, and clubs may possibly add in some more bonuses to attract new players.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...