Tokyo Olympics 2020 (1)

9 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Much better effort than the group stage 

Sweden goal was tad fortunate and we were just couldn’t get the goal. 

fantastic effort girls you did nation proud! 

I thought the same. The most wicked of deflections. You think the keeper put enough on it to get it over instead it hits the post and falls perfectly to the Swedish. The girls did well though but you could tell that some were battling fatigue. That's ok Bronze medal match comming up.

Hello, I have just found out that Emma McKeon and the swim team have flown back into the country 

Turns out the Australian Olympic Committee this year wants athletes out 24-48 hours after their last events? That’s stupid. What if athletes want to cheer other athletes on after their programs are finished? Ridiculous!

And what if they want to attend the closing ceremony!

12 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Hello, I have just found out that Emma McKeon and the swim team have flown back into the country 

Turns out the Australian Olympic Committee this year wants athletes out 24-48 hours after their last events? That’s stupid. What if athletes want to cheer other athletes on after their programs are finished? Ridiculous!

considering that Japan is currently in a Covid state of emergency, it might be best to get our successful athletes out before they get sick

plus considering how poorly Morrison/Gladys handled the Delta strain outbreak, getting athletes in and out of quarantine as quick as possible is for the best

it sucks for the athletes who have trained hard, but people have missed weddings, funerals, birthdays, graduations and other milestones

3 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I would say that is as much the IOC and Japanese Government as it is the AOC. These games are already incredibly unpopular amongst Japanese people. Plus Covid numbers are going through the roof again. The last thing people want is the image of athletes living it up, it sends the wrong message. Plus if spectators couldn't attend, why could the athletes hang about?

3 hours ago, pseudonym said:

considering that Japan is currently in a Covid state of emergency, it might be best to get our successful athletes out before they get sick

plus considering how poorly Morrison/Gladys handled the Delta strain outbreak, getting athletes in and out of quarantine as quick as possible is for the best

it sucks for the athletes who have trained hard, but people have missed weddings, funerals, birthdays, graduations and other milestones

16 minutes ago, Carns said:

I would say that is as much the IOC and Japanese Government as it is the AOC. These games are already incredibly unpopular amongst Japanese people. Plus Covid numbers are going through the roof again. The last thing people want is the image of athletes living it up, it sends the wrong message. Plus if spectators couldn't attend, why could the athletes hang about?

Oh it's a COVID measure...

I thought it was standard practice.

OK never mind, Olympic dream still on! Archery club in Olympic Park looks good, apparently only $25 for a beginner session

Watching brazil v mexico

I think we can all agree that Brazil wins gold for their outstanding injury simulations. Theres a bit of argy bargy but they've felt the lightest touch from a Mexican player, and thrown themselves to the ground several times clutching their faces :rolleyes: 

Outstanding wankery

36 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Watching brazil v mexico

I think we can all agree that Brazil wins gold for their outstanding injury simulations. Theres a bit of argy bargy but they've felt the lightest touch from a Mexican player, and thrown themselves to the ground several times clutching their faces :rolleyes: 

Outstanding wankery

Bastards have switched the football to 7+!

The speed climbing is amazing. It's hard not to think that they are being supported by that rope but they are not. 5,6 seconds... far out. That'd take me most of a morning if I even made it.

But I also like the bouldering, there's not too many events where the sportspeople have to think their way through problems that way. The bloke who qualified top last night was the only one to solve one of the routes, and he did so in a slightly different way from the rest. It's just cool.

I felt bad for my man from Blackheath though, he didn't manage too well. The BMs got a shout at least :lol:

Hey where's the commentator from, is he a mackem?

Edited by marron

Can understand why the Japanese were so opposed to the Games going ahead.

They're also on track to become the most expensive summer games ever — a bitter pill to swallow for the Japanese public who helped pay for it, but haven't been able to enjoy it fully.

The one-year delay cost an estimated $US3 billion ($4.054 billion), and Jack Anderson, a professor of sports law at Melbourne University, said the total bill had soared. 

"The bid that was originally around $US7 billion ($9.449 billion) will end up three times that amount – we think it will ultimately cost the Japanese taxpayer around $US25 billion ($33.748 billion)," he told 7.30. 

Mr Anderson said the unprecedented step of banning all public spectators from the Olympics was a huge economic blow for Japan, denying the host country the opportunity to make money off sport enthusiasts and tourists.   

"We've also got to factor into these [costs], the missed opportunity for the local organisers in terms of ticket sales and hospitality, and in the long term the tourist and transport benefits," he told 7.30.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-04/tokyo-olympics-covid-anabelle-smith-safwan-khalil-australia/100349014

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Watching the Boomers in yet another semi final defeat at the Olympics brings back bad memories of the old Socceroos 32 year wait for World cup qualification.

Absolutely shattered such a good team but just lost the game in that 3rd quarter against the US. 

If you dream of a gold Olympic medal, don't take up basketball. USA will always do for you.

1-0 Olympic goal from Rapinoe, Micah wasn’t able to punch it away. Probably her fault tbh what a **** goal to concede but

1-1! Foord with a beautiful through ball to Kerr with a sweet first time finish deflected by the goalkeeper into the net!

2-1 down… Alanna Kennedy with a clearance and Rapinoe volleys it first time into the net FFS

ok up to speed now

21 hours ago, marron said:

The speed climbing is amazing. It's hard not to think that they are being supported by that rope but they are not. 5,6 seconds... far out. That'd take me most of a morning if I even made it.

But I also like the bouldering, there's not too many events where the sportspeople have to think their way through problems that way. The bloke who qualified top last night was the only one to solve one of the routes, and he did so in a slightly different way from the rest. It's just cool.

I felt bad for my man from Blackheath though, he didn't manage too well. The BMs got a shout at least :lol:

Hey where's the commentator from, is he a mackem?

Not heard him, not seen as much Olympics as would have like these last few days. Had a bit of a mini family crisis, but all ok now and back to annoy you all :D

Edited by Smoggy
2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Just a general observation. But I were as young as Unlimited and looking for an Olympic sport to get involved in I would deff go down the beach volleyball route, which has a comp in Sydney...

I would if I had a beach body and abs to show off

Unfortunately I only have flabs