Football Manager

4th season was very good.

We won the league, earning a back to back promotion. Which completed the achievement I was aiming for, getting a team from the last playable tier (3rd tier in this case) into the 1st. I've now done that in FM 2012 in England, Scotland and Spain. I still have the French, Italian and Brazillian versions of that achievement not done.

I bought in a 21 year old Spanish striker from Real Madrid when his contract expired there (along with a half-dozen new players for the first 11), with a super high potential rating, and he absolutely destroyed the league, scored 30 goals in 35 games, 5 assists, 8 man of the match awards with a season rating of 7.43. My two wingers chipped in with a decent haul of goals and loads of assists and the defence was quite solid. We nearly choked the league title as we lost the 3rd and 2nd last games of the seasons, but the final game we had a storming 2nd half and won it 3-0 to secure the title.

Once again I'm bringing in new talent. I've got 2 players each from Barca and Real Madrid coming in, and another 7 from other teams. I'm starting to put together the type of team I want, rather than scraping for cheap players to just fill the starting line up.

• 7 months later...

CM 01/02. Original player file. Selected Wolves in the old 1st Division. 

Everything started well. Finished second and achieved automatic promotion to the Premier League in my first season, despite expectations of simply being a mid-table Championship team. 

Second season, finished 16th in the Premier League, securing safety with a game or two to spare, which again outstripped the Board’s expectations of simply battling bravely. So far, so good.

Third season, finished third in the Premier League and qualified for the Champions League. Again, the expectations were simply to not disgrace the team on the way back down.

This is when things changed. The stadium expanded, I made a few too many acquisitions (Saha... I should have known he was always rubbish) and the heady heights of Europe pushed the Board into a different realm and expectations were high. From this point on an ongoing presence in Europe was a must.

Near the end of the season I received my death note:

“We are worried. Fans are protesting. But you have our total support.”

By the end I finished 14th, comfortably avoiding relegation. Unfortunately the players, who for some reason could dominate games in terms of shots on goal but never put the bloody ball in the back of the net, played their hand and the Chair acted:

“Players have lost confidence in you. The Chair says goodbye, effective immediately.”

It has since been impossible to get another gig, possibly because I created my account with an Australian nationality. Not even the new Conference team accepted my application. It might be time to restart the game, or add a new manager account...

Anyway, the take home message is - don’t over-reach and overhaul the squad with too many changes. Also try and avoid Europe for as long as possible, because once the Board gets the taste, they will never go back to life as it was before.

TLDR? CM 01/02 is still a fantastic game, even after almost 20 years.

Edited by Generator
Fixed a couple of typos
  • 3 months later...

Anyone else playing the FM 2020 beta? Wanderers player ratings terrible again. All our youth prospects are terribly rated aswell as Duke and Yeboah being two of the worst players in the squad. If my current job gave me the time to watch every game and training sessions I'd apply to be an Australian league researcher to help them out because the current ones are not doing a goood job.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

I was going to buy this game at one stage. But, they rate the Australian clubs really badly. So, I gave it a miss.

I got this for free when covid started. Signed up for free account via Epic games and got the game for zip.  

2 hours ago, sonar said:

I got this for free when covid started. Signed up for free account via Epic games and got the game for zip.  

Maybe play 3 5 2 with 2 kids as wing backs, sign loads of wingers and put them on the bench. See how it goes 

19 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Maybe play 3 5 2 with 2 kids as wing backs, sign loads of wingers and put them on the bench. See how it goes 

Did a simulation.

Playing as WSW I got as far as 8 rounds before getting sacked. The game suggests tactics to use....ie formations and for WSW it was 4141 but I went with 532 every game....played the young guys.

Scores were ....0-3,0-2,1-4,0-5,1-2,1-2,0-3,0-4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Hi all,

I've recently seen that FM2021 is 50% off on Steam... it's now $37 only. Worth a buy? I've never played FM before, or should I wait until FM2022?

I got FM2020 free from Epic games when covid started and have played it. I'm not into computer games and haven't played FIFA etc so it's hard to say whether you'll like it.  Having never played I found it a bit hard starting out but with you having played FIFA you should have no trouble.  I could be wrong but I would assume that the games would be similar in how the simulations run. The one thing that did "p" me off was my star players getting injured all the time even when I adjusted the training and tactics to help them stay fit.....lol

You Tube is a good place to go for some reviews.

3 hours ago, sonar said:

I got FM2020 free from Epic games when covid started and have played it. I'm not into computer games and haven't played FIFA etc so it's hard to say whether you'll like it.  Having never played I found it a bit hard starting out but with you having played FIFA you should have no trouble.  I could be wrong but I would assume that the games would be similar in how the simulations run. The one thing that did "p" me off was my star players getting injured all the time even when I adjusted the training and tactics to help them stay fit.....lol

You Tube is a good place to go for some reviews.

I really did enjoy a football manager game on my phone (the name of the game escapes me). It wasn't licenced (ie not real teams or player names) and it was really simple and addictive. Problem was that you could only progress quickly by "purchasing coins" to level up and make upgrades quicker to benefit your team. You could progress without paying though.

I got FM2020 for free too from Epic and it's realllllly detailed - too detailed for me! I spent about 20mins setting things up and I hadn't even held a training session. 

Edited by teddies
edit
22 minutes ago, teddies said:

I really did enjoy a football manager game on my phone (the name of the game escapes me). It wasn't licenced (ie not real teams or player names) and it was really simple and addictive. Problem was that you could only progress quickly by "purchasing coins" to level up and make upgrades quicker to benefit your team. You could progress without paying though.

I got FM2020 for free too from Epic and it's realllllly detailed - too detailed for me! I spent about 20mins setting things up and I hadn't even held a training session. 

Yep. Really steep learning curve if you've never played that type of game before.

The funny thing is playing as manager of WSW the tactics suggest 4 1 4 1 as the best tactical formation. lol.

I enjoy playing Civ 6 so I'm no stranger to ridiculously complex multi-dimensional tactical and strategic games...

I've also got over FIFA a bit after manager mode got a bit repetitive: set up a youth academy, get a 5 star judgment scout, sign good players on a free or look for free agents at the start of new season and just give them a massive signing bonus to get away with paying them a low wage (I literally got Messi on my career mode save for $20k a week)...

I've been a Football Manager nut since the beginning of time. Since the old Championship Manager days.  I've only ever managed Portsmouth, the club I grew up following home and away when I lived in England. I've never been tempted to manage anywhere else, including WSW as the salary cap does not appeal to me.

It's incredibly detailed and is improved upon every season.  I bought FM21 when it first came out, installed it but have never really sat down to play it yet as I'll need to invest many hours into the setting up of my team before I get to play a match.  Organising the backroom staff, dealing with the media, selling unwanted players, scouting, talking to players, orgainising the training schedules and workloads, they're all things I enjoy doing but always seems a chore at the start.  Maybe with some of you playing it too it might give me the urge to start playing again but finding the time isn't easy.  I find I need to binge on it to see any real progress.

I may have sunk 12 hours into this game since I bought it two days ago 

I’m currently second last in the Northern Ireland third division… my team didn’t even have a goalkeeper and it took me a few weeks to realise I’d drafted in some random from the youth team

Steep learning curve for sure

On 19/06/2021 at 12:00 PM, Unlimited said:

I may have sunk 12 hours into this game since I bought it two days ago 

I’m currently second last in the Northern Ireland third division… my team didn’t even have a goalkeeper and it took me a few weeks to realise I’d drafted in some random from the youth team

Steep learning curve for sure

Sorry mate, you must be lost - this isn't the WSW club thread :D

Update: I came 7th out of 11 in the league

Kept my job.

With a whopping wage budget of $375 per week for all players... the board said "Thanks for your service, we now need to cut back because we lost $30k last season".

Arranged some preseason friendlies to rake in the $$$ so now have a slender $5k "in the bank" but I guess I missed an option click box thing somewhere because my assistant manager - who decided to F off to a club in the same division - decided a good parting gift would be re-signing a young centre back for $80 a week!!!

5 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Update: I came 7th out of 11 in the league

Kept my job.

With a whopping wage budget of $375 per week for all players... the board said "Thanks for your service, we now need to cut back because we lost $30k last season".

Arranged some preseason friendlies to rake in the $$$ so now have a slender $5k "in the bank" but I guess I missed an option click box thing somewhere because my assistant manager - who decided to F off to a club in the same division - decided a good parting gift would be re-signing a young centre back for $80 a week!!!

You need to go to the Staff section and set it to what responsibilities the staff have. I set mine up so as manager I have the final say on what player contracts,loans,terminations etc are signed.

I learnt early on that never trust others to sign players. When I first started I was wondering why the club kept signing 37 & 38 year old players.......lol

1 hour ago, sonar said:

You need to go to the Staff section and set it to what responsibilities the staff have. I set mine up so as manager I have the final say on what player contracts,loans,terminations etc are signed.

I learnt early on that never trust others to sign players. When I first started I was wondering why the club kept signing 37 & 38 year old players.......lol

This could explain how we signed Matt Sim.

16 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

We use it for recruitment the problem is lederer has been too tight to upgrade so we are still running the old 2010 edition 

oh ffs. someone needs to let him know about the Steam sales. 

Now we are in lockdown, I've decided to start a FM21 save as I've got a bit more time on my hands.  I'm coaching Portsmouth, of course.  Although owned by the billionaire Eisner family, once owners of Disney, the club are being run on a fairly tight budget.  Starting transfer budget is 100,000 but the initial squad is decent enough to give you a good crack at promotion.  My coaching staff, however, was initially pretty ordinary.  I mutually terminated virtually all of my staff and brought in my own.  This was time consuming but a step that is necessary at the start of any save in order to maximize progression.

I've organised the coaches to coach to their strengths but I've not spent anywhere near enough time with the players attending their individual training schedules.  I'll need to do that in the not too distant future but I just want to get the season underway.

The friendlies have gone well.  We went to a training camp in Scotland and played some of the clubs in the lower divisions there.  a few of the talented young players managed to get a run and impressed.  This has given me the confidence to approach the season with the squad I inherited, with maybe one or two free or cheap additions that have bags of potential.

I've managed to pick up Matt O'Reilly on a free transfer who was previously at Fulham. He's only 19 yrs old but he's already turning into a brilliant signing.  I've also picked up Jonathan De Bie for 100k, a young goalkeeper from Spurs to give me a bit of cover between the sticks. Again, he's got great potential and could well be a major player for me in the future.  Another freebie I've signed is centre back Max Broughton.  He has only played non league football but has pretty good stats for a youngster but right now won't get near the first team as centre back is a real strength of the team.

As the season progresses I'll try to update.