Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

Absolutely pathetic and embarrassing performance by the so-called "#1 Test Side"

India deserved the win, no doubts about it and congratulations to them for showing the grid, patience, and mentality to win, but Australia were piss poor.

Names that were not in the Indian starting line-up include Kohli, Jadeja, Ashwin, Umesh Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Bumrah, Shami, W. Saha, and some were replaced with two debutants.

We were playing against what was effectively an India A or even India B line-up and could neither take 20 wickets nor show-up the newbie bowlers they fielded (I'd never heard of Natarajan, Saini, etc. before).

Before the end of the Test I said to our resident Indian luisenrique that it's hard to argue that India are not the best Test match team, coming to Aus and at the worst losing 2-1 with almost a B team by the end of it.

But to win it, wow. At the Gabba too. So impressive. 

We have a lot of questions. The batting is obvious, but Lyon always seems to bowl well on pitches that the seamers bowl well on (he didn't even do that in this series). You need your spinner stepping up when the pitches do not suit pace. And he chokes when the presure is on.

Speaking of bottling it, Paine has now failed in 3 close games, and openly admitted that the moments have got to him. Not good. And some of his defensive field settings when you need to win the game were just plain confusing.

And Mitchell Starc... the less said the better. If only Langer had the courage to do what everyone could see needed to be done. India were forced into changes and it kept them energised. Australia stuck with the tried and true and they looked tired. When you have to hope to win the toss so bowlers get some rest you have probably picked the wrong players.

That said, the joy of the Poms (not just our Smoggy, but all over the net, including good ol Michael Vaughan putting the boot in as usual) is hilarious. W've heard this broken record before - Australia are vulnerable blah blah. We know how this ends. Even in England's "glory years" from 2005 to 2015 they only won once in Australia. So let's see how this ends.

Before that though, there is a WTC final to make! Hopefully this South Africa series goes ahead. And I look forward to the England-India series...

3 hours ago, btron3000 said:

That said, the joy of the Poms (not just our Smoggy, but all over the net, including good ol Michael Vaughan putting the boot in as usual) is hilarious. W've heard this broken record before - Australia are vulnerable blah blah. We know how this ends. Even in England's "glory years" from 2005 to 2015 they only won once in Australia. So let's see how this ends.

It will end with a 5-0 Ashes win for Australia of course, nailed on. It is expected and anything less would be a disaster. I don't think any England supporter would expect to come over here and be competitive later this year, underdogs for sure. 

Doesn't mean we cannot enjoy this moment though :D

Edited by Smoggy
On 12/01/2021 at 5:19 PM, Smoggy said:

Yeah..he was just 'shadow batting' lol Dirty bugger was  wiping out the guard marks. Not hard..if not batting or bowling keep off the ******* wicket!..No need for him to be there.

The only thing that saves Smith here is that the SCG pitch on day 5 is like concrete. A bit of scratching around isn’t going to impact 5 days of batsmen taking middle. It’s not a good look but it’s nothing on the sandpaper gate.

On 12/01/2021 at 9:26 PM, btron3000 said:

Great series.

It's a pity that India have suffered so many injuries. If they manage not to lose at the Gabba it will be a remarkable performance.

Pity Tim Paine acted like a dick yesterday. Apart from that, it's been played in a great spirit and been good for Test cricket.

Have really enjoyed Test cricket during Covid. England-West Indies was great (despite the end result :D) and the continued rise of New Zealand has been good to see. Hope we get to play them for the first World Test Championship!

Absolute incredible series, the way that India overcame the hurdles especially the the injuries was incredible. Spending all that time in quarantine away from family & 3rd choice bowling attack absolutely creating havoc is an outstanding effort. The racism incident on day 3 on SCG just gave them that extra bit of determination to not give an inch (that siege mentality).

Lots of questions rightly being asked by many of the Australian batters & bowlers. Test cricket. Just nothing like it.

2 minutes ago, Carns said:

Yes, they very much are

They are poor losers, and ungracious winners. 

They also seem to have learned nothing from the South African tour (or at least what they learned was forgotten 12 months later)

On the cricket side, terrible captaincy on the last day. What was he actually trying to do? Should have kept the field up, put some catchers in and tried to maintain pressure that way. 

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Yes, they very much are

They also seem to have learned nothing from the South African tour (or at least what they learned was forgotten 12 months later)

On the cricket side, terrible captaincy on the last day. What was he actually trying to do? Should have kept the field up, put some catchers in and tried to maintain pressure that way. 

Australian cricketers have been (generally) entitled ****s for decades. Most of it stems from the dominance which started in the 90s and was unchallenged until the mid-late 2000s when cricket's 'Golden Generation' started to retire and they had to rebuild. In general, Australian cricketers rarely do 'humble'.

12 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Yes, they very much are

LOL If this happens at Trent Bridge the world would be cheering for India too, don't worry about that.

Here is a better take on the game, that doesn't assume that one - apologised for - misstep by Paine means that Aussie cricket has learned nothing. And by a Pom too!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/mark-nicholas-the-gabba-result-has-done-justice-to-the-game-we-love-1248673

10 hours ago, Carns said:

Australian cricketers have been (generally) entitled ****s for decades. Most of it stems from the dominance which started in the 90s and was unchallenged until the mid-late 2000s when cricket's 'Golden Generation' started to retire and they had to rebuild. In general, Australian cricketers rarely do 'humble'.

I think this is unfair on the current team.

Since Darren Lehmann left his post this Aussie team has been much different. Even Warner hasn't been his normal aggro self, as Lehmann used to encourage the "attack dog" mentality (mind you, it's hard to be boisterous when Stuart Broad keeps knocking you over within an over).

Go down the list of players and tell me one that acts like your McGraths and Warnes of the world. If anything, they're too nice. What the bowling attack could have done with a bit of Jame Pattinson's mongrel on Tuesday.

Ok Matthew Wade is a dick, we can agree on that

Edited by btron3000
On 21/01/2021 at 9:18 PM, btron3000 said:

I think this is unfair on the current team.

Since Darren Lehmann left his post this Aussie team has been much different. Even Warner hasn't been his normal aggro self, as Lehmann used to encourage the "attack dog" mentality (mind you, it's hard to be boisterous when Stuart Broad keeps knocking you over within an over).

Go down the list of players and tell me one that acts like your McGraths and Warnes of the world. If anything, they're too nice. What the bowling attack could have done with a bit of Jame Pattinson's mongrel on Tuesday.

Ok Matthew Wade is a dick, we can agree on that

More thinking of smith, who after the SA Ball tampering incident I felt very sorry for. Poor guy broke down and you couldn’t help feel sorry for him.

Serves his suspension, comes back plays brilliantly etc 

Then a year or later he messing about with the batsmens guard.

While it’s not serious or even really cheating, it is unsportsmanlike. To me it shows the cultural problem of Australian cricket when a nice guy such as smith who having already been hauled over the coals once thinks that carrying on like that is ok.

The kiwis have it right 

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

I didn't feel sorry for him..he's a chunt.

In what way?

If anything, he's a bit awkward and overly polite. Never seen him act like a chunt towards anyone.

You want proper chunts in Aussie cricket - Hayden and Andrew Symonds are the men for you.

But, y'know, I guess you guys had a hard time getting him out so I can see why you dislike him.

42 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

In what way?

If anything, he's a bit awkward and overly polite. Never seen him act like a chunt towards anyone.

You want proper chunts in Aussie cricket - Hayden and Andrew Symonds are the men for you.

But, y'know, I guess you guys had a hard time getting him out so I can see why you dislike him.

@Smoggy you are a hard man, he was clearly gutted and in tears 

He’s a great batsman

For mine the culture is the issue

@btron3000 can you add Mitchell Johnson to your list 

like I say the kiwis have it down 

7 hours ago, btron3000 said:

In what way?

Fair call...Smith is annoying rather than a chunt....now Dave Warner IS a chunt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2021 at 9:14 PM, Unlimited said:

Just found out that England are playing India

England are currently 6/511 against India... and it looks like they’re playing in India?

Australia are going to get dealt a can of whoop-ass at this rate next Ashes series 

it was an outstanding toss to win..wicket as flat as a pancake. Was  650 first innings wicket. Root was outstanding though.

I don't see any reason for thinking the Ashes will not be the usual Aussie walkover here.

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

it was an outstanding toss to win..wicket as flat as a pancake. Was  650 first innings wicket. Root was outstanding though.

I don't see any reason for thinking the Ashes will not be the usual Aussie walkover here.

Aussie batting ain’t all that, be interesting to see how they go facing England pace bowlers (wood etc)

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Aussie batting ain’t all that, be interesting to see how they go facing England pace bowlers (wood etc)

I'd be more worried about Bess (spinner?) taking the 4 middle order batsmen ( inc Kholi & Rahane for 12 runs) on a flat batting pitch, he might be the dark horse.

India all out for 337 I think, so a lead of over 240 for England. Pitch is starting to do things, you see puffs of dirt coming up when the ball hits the deck from the quicks, so the top surface is breaking up a bit. England will want a quick 150ish (give India a 400 win target) I would think, perhaps push Stokes up the order to smash a few big boundaries, if he got say a quick 60 or 70 that would be good. 

Edited by Smoggy
  • mack locked this topic