Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

33 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

True, but when in about 5 years these kids wisen up to the realisation that BBL is a mickey mouse league with no value for anything... then what?

I feel the long term sustainability isn't there. The BBL is literally a league of Melbourne Citys, it's just so plastic and mass-manufactured it doesn't have any intrinsic value. It's cricket for the sake of cricket.

Mass manufactured all flashing lights, fireworks and no substance 

It’s the perfect sport for 2020s isnt it 

It’s the Scott Morrison of sport 

I have been to 1 BBL game and that was sufficient. I did ask the lad if he wanted to go again, if he said yes i would probably have taken him...he said no thankfully.

There will never be anything better than settling in for a full test match. Whether that be on the sofa at home or at the ground.

Have been watching England in South Africa..great stuff. My only complaint is that it is not as slow and atritional as it once was...Geoff Boycott in his prime scoring 10 runs a session...top stuff :good:

1 hour ago, Unlimited said:

True, but when in about 5 years these kids wisen up to the realisation that BBL is a mickey mouse league with no value for anything... then what?

I feel the long term sustainability isn't there. The BBL is literally a league of Melbourne Citys, it's just so plastic and mass-manufactured it doesn't have any intrinsic value. It's cricket for the sake of cricket.

The premise is that it's an introduction to the sport in an easily digestible way for short attention span kids (and those who want a short, "exciting" form of summer entertainment). Some of whom may grow up to appreciate the longer forms of the game. You won't find many little kids who could have the wherewithal to watch test match cricket, but they might appreciate it when older if they have an appreciation for the game in general. Sort of like kids getting into football because of the popularity of FIFA video games.

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I have been to 1 BBL game and that was sufficient. I did ask the lad if he wanted to go again, if he said yes i would probably have taken him...he said no thankfully.

There will never be anything better than settling in for a full test match. Whether that be on the sofa at home or at the ground.

Have been watching England in South Africa..great stuff. My only complaint is that it is not as slow and atritional as it once was...Geoff Boycott in his prime scoring 10 runs a session...top stuff :good:

Aaaaaaah Geoff Boycot batting......how to bore a few million people without even trying......:P

:D

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Aaaaaaah Geoff Boycot batting......how to bore a few million people without even trying......:P

:D

Thats Sir Geoff Boycott to you......

Botham did once deliberately run Boycott out ...in the late 70's :D 

“What have you done, what have you done,” said the livid Boycott.

“I’ve run you out, you ****” –:rofl:

This has to be one of the most comic incidents yet infamous and controversial in its way. It was the fourth day of the second Test between New Zealand and England at Christchurch in February 1978. And the players involved were England cricketers Geoff Boycott and Ian Botham.

England were touring New Zealand after the Pakistan series with Boycott taking over the reins of captaincy from Mike Brearley, as the latter was injured. It was somewhat a dream come true for Boycott but he faced a tough job, as his relationship with his teammates wasn’t really great.

The first Test was a forgettable affair for the English players as they were bowled out for 64 when chasing a target of 137, handing the Kiwis their first win over England after 46 long years.

In the second Test, a 22-year old Botham came into the picture in the first innings and scored a century to drive off their misery at Christchurch. England managed to get a lead of 183 runs and in the second innings, England in need of quick runs to had to show enough urgency to bowl the New Zealanders out and level the series.

Brian Rose opened with Boycott and fell for seven with only 25 run on the board. Derek Randall came in to get things moving but was run out. Next came the big fellow, Botham at number four. He by vice-captain Bob Willis with the aim of quick runs – and also with a specific order from Willis to “go and run the bugger [Boycott] out”.

And Botham’s entry into the pitch did pay off as he called for one of the most dubious singles. By the time Boycott realised as in what was happening, it was too late and Botham had run past to the non-striker’s end.

“He never stood a chance,” admitted Botham later. “What have you done, what have you done,” said the livid Boycott. Botham’s response – allegedly, “I’ve run you out, you ****” – has gone down in folklore. “I couldn’t look at him,” Botham added. “I cracked up and had to go for a walk around the back of the umpire.”

The feud continued the next morning and whenever Boycott wanted to send messages to Botham, he did it through his fielders. England eventually won the match as New Zealand were bowled out for 105. The Boycott-Botham row is still fresh and it’s believed that they are still not on speaking terms.

56 minutes ago, Carns said:

I meant the premise of the article. Big Bash isn't cricket IMO, but it has helped to bring a new generation of fans to the game.

Yeah but will these fans attend test/shield/one day games or are they just there for the colour/music/vibe? Will the novelty wear off in a couple of years time?

23 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Yeah but will these fans attend test/shield/one day games or are they just there for the colour/music/vibe? Will the novelty wear off in a couple of years time?

The Test nations want T20 to be it's own little cricket money making industry. All the major countries have a big bash type comp now. There are players who will never be good enough for Test cricket but who will earn a motza doing the global tour, As someone said here earlier it's a marketing driven sport......shirts,hats,scarfs,bucket hats.......TV deals....digital rights.....etc etc. Will make more money for the boards than Test cricket ever will.

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

Some of them will, most of them won't. But considering test cricket (besides The Ashes) has been in decline for years (maybe decades) they need to do something.

I'm in no way advocating for Big Bash. I don't watch it, never have. But if it gets kids interested in the game in general, a percentage of them will become cricket tragics, and the longer form of the game needs them to survive.

8 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Who’s that Indian cricketer with a strike rate of like 30? Rahul Dravid?

thats good test cricket

none of this switch hit ramp shot BS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/01/2020 at 7:34 PM, StringerBellend said:

Nothing more exciting in sport than a Alastair Cook well judged leave outside of off stump

sexual

Oh god. I was at the MCG that Test where the track was given a "dead" or "poor" rating or whatever it was. I love Test cricket but that was painful.

Cook, who could barely get bat on ball all tour, just blocked his way to a double tonne. Two of the most boring days of sport ever. 

Could you get a more cliched posh English twat than Alastair Cook? What a boring human being, on the pitch and off it. Give me Pietersen any day. Now that guy was good to watch.

On 27/01/2020 at 5:46 PM, Carns said:

Some of them will, most of them won't. But considering test cricket (besides The Ashes) has been in decline for years (maybe decades) they need to do something.

Is it though?

They've been saying since the early 1900s that Test Cricket would struggle to keep up with the pace of "modern society", and yet here we still are.

Maybe it seems like it is on the decline because T20 is such a money-spinning marketing tool, but I reckon the crowds for Test cricket are about the same as they ever were in my lifetime, maybe better. Maybe the teams that draw big crowds have changed - used to be great for the Ashes, good for Windies, ok for everyone else. Now great for Ashes, good for India, ok for everyone else.

T20 has hurt the Windies the most, but their issues are really their board and the way the game is run. If they sorted that, many of the dudes who only play T20 would come back to Tests. What's hurt Test cricket the most is the big three not giving a **** about the others. It's sad really because some of the battles the last few years between the big three and others, and the others v others, have been great. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Does Stuart Broad think he’s the karate Kid?

Lol

He has been struggling in the follical department for a while has Broady. He had much less hair a few years back and was going quick at the front sides and back...some suggest he is protecting his latest implant area :D 

Edited by Smoggy
4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Lol

He has been struggling in the follical department for a while has Broady. He had much less hair a few years back and was going quick at the front sides and back...some suggest he is protecting his latest implant area :D 

Is he another of a longline or cricketers to advertise advanced hair 

- Greg Matthew’s - Graham Gooch- Warne etc

Matthews was the best 

Advanced Hair Yeah Yeah! 

• 2 weeks later...

England win a great test match! :clapping:

What a stand between Woakes and Buttler! England looked all but beaten at 5 down on that pitch. Not often you win a test after being over 100 down on the first innings...so something to reverse that and chase 277 down on a 4th day!

Pakistan look a decent side.

Some stats...England still needed 160 runs to win when the 5th wicket fell.

The second highest run chase success at Old Trafford

139 was the 6th wicket partnership 

Edited by Smoggy
  • mack locked this topic