Sydney Stadiums Discussion (Not Parramatta)

The other day I saw - unfortunately I don't have a copy - a piece of electoral propaganda from that independent guy who is in the city, Alex Greenich.

He says that it was a great success in opposing development on the Kippax Lake area, but that the SCG Trust is still allowed to go ahead with development on their own land without a Development Application that the public can comment on, as is normal in all other development situations!!

Found it on his website:

http://www.alexgreenwich.com/scg_development_may

"The sports minister currently signs off on development behind closed doors – as he did this week for a five and a half storey training and education centre with underground parking on the Gold Members Car Park – with no opportunity for neighbours to view traffic, heritage, tree or shadowing reports and contribute to the final decision."

The other day I saw - unfortunately I don't have a copy - a piece of electoral propaganda from that independent guy who is in the city, Alex Greenich.

He says that it was a great success in opposing development on the Kippax Lake area, but that the SCG Trust is still allowed to go ahead with development on their own land without a Development Application that the public can comment on, as is normal in all other development situations!!

Found it on his website:

http://www.alexgreenwich.com/scg_development_may

"The sports minister currently signs off on development behind closed doors – as he did this week for a five and a half storey training and education centre with underground parking on the Gold Members Car Park – with no opportunity for neighbours to view traffic, heritage, tree or shadowing reports and contribute to the final decision."

Now if we can just get a similar approval arrangement for the redevelopment of Parra stadium!  The minister talks to us, we tell him what we want, then he approves it without having to worry about getting the "neighbours" point of view.

My biggest fear with the design is that they will do the Sydney thing and go for style over substance. That is what completely stuffed up both Allianz and ANZ stadium. They went for curves and stylish roofs to symbolise something thing or another and forgot about functionality eg if people will get wet if it rains. This is a rejected design for the original Olympic Stadium care of Austadiums.com:

sydney_olympic2.jpg

At least this one had a decent roof and looked like a traditional stadium, but no, they had to go for a design that symbolised the Opera House on the harbour blah blah blah!

Edited by Zakman

My biggest fear with the design is that they will do the Sydney thing and go for style over substance. That is what completely stuffed up both Allianz and ANZ stadium. They went for curves and stylish roofs to symbolise something thing or another and forgot about functionality eg if people will get wet if it rains. This is a rejected design for the original Olympic Stadium care of Austadiums.com:

sydney_olympic2.jpg

At least this one had a decent roof and looked like a traditional stadium, but no, they had to go for a design that symbolised the Opera House on the harbour blah blah blah!

Given the size (30-35k) and the budget, I can't see us getting anything too 'stylish'. Just don't have the $ there to do anything fancy.

The friends of the pool are having a protest rally through Parramatta on the 5th of June. They are encouraging people to wear floaties, goggles and swimming caps in order to gain media attention. A few people I know have received the letter they're sending around and have shown me a copy of it. Sounds like they are going to fight this to the very end...

The friends of the pool are having a protest rally through Parramatta on the 5th of June. They are encouraging people to wear floaties, goggles and swimming caps in order to gain media attention. A few people I know have received the letter they're sending around and have shown me a copy of it. Sounds like they are going to fight this to the very end...

my guess they are going to look ridiculous

818826-tony-abbott.jpg