A-League & 2nd Tier Expansion Thread V2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty standard stuff, although the youth quota is interesting.

Also it makes no sense for the 2nd tier winners to get an ACL spot. Presumably it wouldn't be an extra spot and would be at the expense of an existing one. Imagine finishing 3rd in the top tier and missing out to a team in a lower division.

I don't see what they are proposing is for a second division but rather a national semi-pro competition.  Give it 5 years and the best of the clubs in this new league might be ready for a fully professional second division.  I see this as a necessary step to get where we eventually want to go.  Little steps is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t want a third Sydney team but Wellington would be mad not to take that when you consider they’ll inevitably be turfed anyway. 

They’re into the 2nd of a 4 year extension and need to meet tv rights, attendance and financial contribution figures to be granted another 2x3 year extensions.

Doesn’t seem like they’d be even close to achieving these targets (whatever they are) and if anything, are declining. The #SavetheNix campaign worked for all of 2-3 home games and has done sweet fa since. They’re a dead weight to the A-League and have been for a while now.

I wasn’t on team #SavetheNix but was happy they survived from a numbers perspective. We have plenty of Australian clubs lining up for an A-League licence now and the FFA isn’t a charity. As Adam Peacock pointed out on the Fox podcast, even if Wellington were healthy and doing well, what does it do for Australian football and the A-League? 

Having said all this though, it’s not fair to keep stringing them along when everyone knows they’re getting the boot eventually. Wellington themselves know it too and it shows by the fact that they just seem to operate season to season with no real plan.

Cut then free ASAP, give them some compensation and send them on their way. If it keep dragging on it’s just going to get messy and that’s the last thing this league needs is more drama. 

54 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

A case study of how baseball will approach expansion 

I'm curious whether "business acumen" means they'll attract any more Clive Palmer/Nathan Tinkler types? Not that there is a huge amount of money or exposure to be had. Still need to be very careful who they give the licenses to.

The cynic in me says they are targeting regional areas because most other sports ignore them, so they have a captive market. All good in theory, but the practicalities will be more difficult.

I had no idea that there already is a professional league (6 teams). I can imagine unless you are a baseball player or die hard you wouldn't know about it either. Seems to be an uphill battle in a very crowded marketplace.

The sensible thing is they are going for a low cost model, probably out of necessity though.

Further reading shows that the real target market is Asia - Japan, South Korea, Taiwan. I have been to Japan and South Korea this year and they (at least the Japanese) really do love their baseball. The other advantage Australia has is all the other major leagues are in their off season, so the overseas fanatics would have something to watch.

I just don't know how viable a local league is when your main audience is overseas?

• 2 months later...
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic