What Floats Your Boat 4

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Up the blue mountains in the open air walking :good:

Being responsible with social distancing of course..

Me too :D

went Grand Canyon early this morning and just got back, glad I went early because it was starting to get difficult to distance, that's for sure. 

Where'd you go?

7 hours ago, marron said:

Me too :D

went Grand Canyon early this morning and just got back, glad I went early because it was starting to get difficult to distance, that's for sure. 

Where'd you go?

Just down from Katoomba and around the valley bottom today..still up here.

I was at a look out this afternoon and a couple in there 70's joined me. You could tell been in Aus a while but could nail the accent to around the Bradford area of West Yorkshire...wife says 'stunning isn't it'....fella says 'aye ...its not bad I suppose' :D Expected him to finish with 'it's not the Yorkshire dales though is it' :D But no..they stood there in silence in a way only 50 odd years of miserable married life can do.

Edited by Smoggy

Nice. Let me know if you get out there at all, I haven't been at all down there since, kept up here mostly.

Had a terrific ramble just the other week behind the hydro actually, found some great little nooks and crannies that aren't used at all, got all the way down into the megalong via some canyons and things.

And if you are thinking of heading up this way at all I can clue you in to some off the beaten track stuff, just shoot me a message. i know half the fun is exploring though.

9 minutes ago, marron said:

Nice. Let me know if you get out there at all, I haven't been at all down there since, kept up here mostly.

Had a terrific ramble just the other week behind the hydro actually, found some great little nooks and crannies that aren't used at all, got all the way down into the megalong via some canyons and things.

And if you are thinking of heading up this way at all I can clue you in to some off the beaten track stuff, just shoot me a message. i know half the fun is exploring though.

Must admit looking for some new tracks but not this weekend..taking it a bit easier. A few from Mt Victoria I would like to do. I bought a blue mountain walk book today and also a book on the native flora and wildlife. Browsing them this evening with a bottle of wine.

Did I say how much I ******* love it up here...the sad part is always heading back down the mountains. 

Edited by Smoggy

It's magic.

For my birthday this year I got some self published tome with like 30 years worth of tracknotes on explorations and stuff from just the upper mountains. Really got me into the mindset of just having a crack at the bits in between. Mrs is not happy about that haha especially as I am often on my own. I think it probably helped that the grose is all closed off, it's forced me to look into all these other bits and pieces. I need to get up to Mt Vic too - last time I went to go and do Asgard and all that it was still closed off.

Anyway, like I said, next time if you are looking for something, let me know. For one there's a great walk out to Bald Head - in between Hanging Rock and Anvil rock - which usually has no-one on it, the view from the Head there is amazing, and some of the trek out there is pretty unlike other areas, a little bit moor-like if I dare say so.

17 hours ago, marron said:

It's magic.

For my birthday this year I got some self published tome with like 30 years worth of tracknotes on explorations and stuff from just the upper mountains. Really got me into the mindset of just having a crack at the bits in between. Mrs is not happy about that haha especially as I am often on my own. I think it probably helped that the grose is all closed off, it's forced me to look into all these other bits and pieces. I need to get up to Mt Vic too - last time I went to go and do Asgard and all that it was still closed off.

Anyway, like I said, next time if you are looking for something, let me know. For one there's a great walk out to Bald Head - in between Hanging Rock and Anvil rock - which usually has no-one on it, the view from the Head there is amazing, and some of the trek out there is pretty unlike other areas, a little bit moor-like if I dare say so.

Cheers :)

Had a good day walking although legs a bit out of shape as had the jelly legs thing going on down the further steps lol

Also I stopped at a picnic area and I turned away for 2 secs and a magpie stole my ******* sandwich :xmad::cry:

48 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Had a good day walking although legs a bit out of shape as had the jelly legs thing going on down the further steps lol

Also I stopped at a picnic area and I turned away for 2 secs and a magpie stole my ******* sandwich :xmad::cry:

Usually it's the kookaburras stealing the snags........:D

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Haha. They're a killer (er, magpies and the steps).

Found two ways in/out of the Grand Canyon from the medlow side today, fun. Nothing much to it but it was satisfying, I had my suspicions where they were but didn't know for sure.  A few hairy bits with narrow ledges way up but overall pretty easy, lots of cool overhangs, and on the way out, found a little view, phwoar. The Grand Canyon walk itself goes up to Evans Lookout in front of that thin tall bit of cliff at the bottom right there. Between it and the cliff at the right is the way down to the Grose (currently shut off).

(looked better on my **** mobile haha).

Grandcanyon3.jpg

Edited by marron
23 minutes ago, marron said:

Haha. They're a killer (er, magpies and the steps).

Found two ways in/out of the Grand Canyon from the medlow side today, fun. Nothing much to it but it was satisfying, I had my suspicions where they were but didn't know for sure.  A few hairy bits with narrow ledges way up but overall pretty easy, lots of cool overhangs, and on the way out, found a little view, phwoar. The Grand Canyon walk itself goes up to Evans Lookout in front of that thin tall bit of cliff at the bottom right there. Between it and the cliff at the right is the way down to the Grose (currently shut off).

(looked better on my **** mobile haha).

Grandcanyon3.jpg

Nice...I have similar scenes in my sketchbook lol

Nice.

That place burning down was one of the first signs I lived in a small town, because I heard about it on the train in the arvo from at least three different random strangers.

Then I got home and told the Mrs and she already knew because someone she'd just met was related to the owners.

Edited by marron
  • mack locked this topic