Off Topic Thread 4

mack

20 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

The clever bit of Jonathan Pie is he manages to blame Trump and Brexit on “the left” as opposed to I don’t know maybe the nobheads that promote and vote for it 

Somehow people can see him as being a voice of reason, the guy and his writers (and it is writers) are a bunch of twats 

Tell me - who do you figure voted for Trump and Brexit...on the whole?

The socio-economically privileged sections of society on the whole - or working class people?

For that matter - who votes for Hansen and co? Yes yes - they are racists, and probably older people??.

But socio-economically, where do they come from?

Are they from the North Shore ?  People from the Eastern suburbs? The Hills?  You know, typically from wealthier areas that are true blue Right leaning electorates?

Politiicans and the EU are seen as the elite, with policies that suit themselves and their class and those who live in big, more-resourced cities. Trump and Brexit are a reaction to that.

Those things though - the elite, and their policies - are not restricted to left or right. Thing is, "PC/liberal/SJW" stuff gets tied to it easily - even though they arguably have much less impact in terms of impact on "ordinary" people -  and corporations and lobby groups get left out of it.

As for who voted for One Nation:

https://vtr.elections.nsw.gov.au/la/home

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

For that matter - who votes for Hansen and co? Yes yes - they are racists, and probably older people??.

But socio-economically, where do they come from?

Are they from the North Shore ?  People from the Eastern suburbs? The Hills?  You know, typically from wealthier areas that are true blue Right leaning electorates?

Not sure the relevance in regard to if Jonathan Pie and his writers being twats.

The guy behind him is a journalist / comedian who writes for right leaning websites and hosts “free speech” anti PC comedy nights.

So for him to be painted as the sensible voice of the left is fine if you define sensible as a tedious  right leaning, “freedom of speech” it’s Political Correctness gone mad

But to answer the question, Brexit. A combination of europhobic Tories, racists and a bunch of areas who have been left behind economically under years of mostly Tory government.

A large chunk of the people that voted for thatcher too 

All heavily promoted by right wing news outlets 

Cant miss an opportunity to say Liverpool votes remain 

Trump, thick people lots of them

Hanson, predominantly her vote comes from former national party areas hence their reluctance to put her bottom of the ticket.

47 minutes ago, marron said:

Politiicans and the EU are seen as the elite, with policies that suit themselves and their class and those who live in big, more-resourced cities. Trump and Brexit are a reaction to that.

Those things though - the elite, and their policies - are not restricted to left or right. Thing is, "PC/liberal/SJW" stuff gets tied to it easily - even though they arguably have much less impact in terms of impact on "ordinary" people -  and corporations and lobby groups get left out of it.

As for who voted for One Nation:

https://vtr.elections.nsw.gov.au/la/home

The bit with Trump and Brexit that I can’t get my head around is sure the EU parliament can be seen as elite, but Brexit  has just basically handed more power to the likes of Rees Mogg and Boris Johnson. also how is an investment banker in Farage and a real estate developer seen as a champions of the people 

Also I gave the YouTube has the left eaten itself clip ago, Jonathan Pie with less swear words. I got as far as them discussing the second Brexit vote before I stopped as I can’t afford a new phone.

Edited by StringerBellend
2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

The bit with Trump and Brexit that I can’t get my head around is sure the EU parliament can be seen as elite, but Brexit  has just basically handed more power to the likes of Rees Mogg and Boris Johnson. also how is an investment banker in Farage and a real estate developer seen as a champions of the people 

Yep.

And Trump for that matter.

But, one problem for the left is trying to deal with that narrative. Because as soon as you say, "that's ******* dumb", it's another reason to not vote for a chardonnay sipping bleeding heart candidate - what, you think you know better than me, wtf would you know.

And if you criticize corporate power and lobby groups, it's yes, but, the economy, stupid, and Murdoch can **** you over in the media.

3 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

that's it. maybe Wendy doesn't like Get Krackin' because it's too clever for her? :cheeky:

:arniesalt:

:stonedtrifiro:

:acute:

:P

Since my conversation here, I have encountered two other people who shared my views on Get Crackin!

Like me,(and Stan Grant :lol:) they could hardly put into words how unwatchable it is.

Do you and your young lady friend appreciate it Guy??

I  (like Stan Grant did :lol:) am happy to concede that it might be a generational thing. :pardon:

...because my generation actually knew how to do comedy.

5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

It really isn’t that clever

It just looks clever 

More than can be said about Get Krackin...

PS Just asked a colleague sitting near me ..."over the top" and "unwatchable" to him and his wife too.

When I watched it I found it as blunt as a sledgehammer and largely reliant on the one joke (they swore when the camera was still running! teehee! i wonder if Jessica Rowe does that!).

It also doesn't help that sunrise etc is beyond satire anyway. Watching kochie or whatever makes me laugh at how ****ed everything is anyway. I don't need someone to screech at me to tell me how hypocritical it all is. I mean, FFS, kochie had a go at Pauline the other week after literally years of pandering. That's satire right there.

It seems like there's a lot of love for it because of its attacks on various things about our current culture, but I don't need enlightening in that respect, least of all with the aforesaid sledgehammer.

Hey wendy, have you seen many Year 12 drama performances?

For a while there - and it's been a while for me since i watched one, so maybe it's changed, but I doubt it - there was a very distinctive style that kids would be encouraged to put together for group performances. LIke, a lot of quick changes between characters, using pop cultural type settings (news flash! ad break! etc), and, well, blunt, obvious satire. It kind of reminds me of that. Except that can be forgiven because they're flipping kids. I wouldn't be suprised to learn that the writers are all people who did the HSC drama course to be honest  :lol:

23 minutes ago, marron said:

When I watched it I found it as blunt as a sledgehammer and largely reliant on the one joke (they swore when the camera was still running! teehee! i wonder if Jessica Rowe does that!).

It also doesn't help that sunrise etc is beyond satire anyway. Watching kochie or whatever makes me laugh at how ****ed everything is anyway. I don't need someone to screech at me to tell me how hypocritical it all is. I mean, FFS, kochie had a go at Pauline the other week after literally years of pandering. That's satire right there.

It seems like there's a lot of love for it because of its attacks on various things about our current culture, but I don't need enlightening in that respect, least of all with the aforesaid sledgehammer.

Hey wendy, have you seen many Year 12 drama performances?

For a while there - and it's been a while for me since i watched one, so maybe it's changed, but I doubt it - there was a very distinctive style that kids would be encouraged to put together for group performances. LIke, a lot of quick changes between characters, using pop cultural type settings (news flash! ad break! etc), and, well, blunt, obvious satire. It kind of reminds me of that. Except that can be forgiven because they're flipping kids. I wouldn't be suprised to learn that the writers are all people who did the HSC drama course to be honest  :lol:

:good::good: Yes to all that.

I've said previously that it reminded me of the sort of humour that Yr 10 kids would come up with. But you're right - perhaps I've been too ungenerous - and HSC Drama humour is more the mark. :lol:

Yes - subtle as a sledgehammer is an apt appraisal.

52 minutes ago, wendybr said:

...because my generation actually knew how to do comedy.

Immediately thought of this:

38 minutes ago, marron said:

That's a lot of the reason I like it. It's ******* brutal at times, and takes no prisoners. But I agree that it isn't subtle (but it's not meant to be).

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

^^^^ As I've said a few times - it's likely to be a generational thing.

I think there's an element of truth to that but it's not necessarily the complete picture.

I grew up in a classic comedy era - the 70's, 80's and 90's.  Show's like Faulty Towers, M*A*S*H and Yes Minister (Prime Minister) set the bench mark back then. But alas, back then there were also cringe show's like Are you being Served?, George and Mildred, Love thy Neighbour and On the Buses. I loved them at the time but was too young to understand the crass, cringe and racist humour involved.

In the 90's, along came shows like The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Ab Fab and South Park which were pure genius and cutting edge, yet we were also subjected to so much other shite, mostly from America.

Bring on the 2000's and we are still in the same boat. There are absolute classics like Frontline and The Office, yet so many duds like Friends. Heaps of people loved Friends as well as something like Cheers. I never got into either of them, though I tried.

I don't so much think it is generational, I think there is a level of humour that is thrust upon us from so many mediums. We either like it, or we don't.

For recent humour however, I can't find a lot that floats my boat. I haven't seen any "classics" that match it with some of the above.

Mad as Hell is easily one of the best current comedy TV shows IMO. But because of its format, it won't date as well (skewering current events).

@wendybr I know you won't change your mind (and I'm not trying to) but I thought this analysis of Get Krackin is pretty good (I agree with most of it, not all). https://junkee.com/get-krackn-sunrise/200370

Yeah, good article.

I think this quote explains part of why I can't watch it:

"they’re so close to what we see every day on breakfast TV, just with the volume turned up to 11."

It's not that far from reality anyway. Poe's law and all that. It's an easy target. A deserved one maybe.... but my preference would be for something targeting the producers (a la Frontline), rather than the front end.

Also - the rolling ticker is a pretty old staple isn't it? the Chaser used it on one of their series, as did Micallef when he was on SBS I think. That's not too important really.

Anyway.... doesn't matter. I'm still not going to get on board. :lol:

3 hours ago, Carns said:

Mad as Hell is easily one of the best current comedy TV shows IMO. But because of its format, it won't date as well (skewering current events).

@wendybr I know you won't change your mind (and I'm not trying to) but I thought this analysis of Get Krackin is pretty good (I agree with most of it, not all). https://junkee.com/get-krackn-sunrise/200370

Thanks Carns.

Read it...but it failed at trying to put lipstick on a pig from my point of view! :pardon:

:D :D

PS I didn't see the episode referred to here - but somehow clicked on a link to their Twitter account....and noticed this re the Brendan O'Hara episode??! 

This is the worse television I've seen since the Footy Show. Well done!

PPS That one maybe had something to say - but I'm not prepared to risk my tranquil state of mind to watch any of it. :meep:

4 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

I think there's an element of truth to that but it's not necessarily the complete picture.

I grew up in a classic comedy era - the 70's, 80's and 90's.  Show's like Faulty Towers, M*A*S*H and Yes Minister (Prime Minister) set the bench mark back then. But alas, back then there were also cringe show's like Are you being Served?, George and Mildred, Love thy Neighbour and On the Buses. I loved them at the time but was too young to understand the crass, cringe and racist humour involved.

In the 90's, along came shows like The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Ab Fab and South Park which were pure genius and cutting edge, yet we were also subjected to so much other shite, mostly from America.

Bring on the 2000's and we are still in the same boat. There are absolute classics like Frontline and The Office, yet so many duds like Friends. Heaps of people loved Friends as well as something like Cheers. I never got into either of them, though I tried.

I don't so much think it is generational, I think there is a level of humour that is thrust upon us from so many mediums. We either like it, or we don't.

For recent humour however, I can't find a lot that floats my boat. I haven't seen any "classics" that match it with some of the above.

That's a very balanced post - and very true!

What about Get Krackin WB?

Do you see any merit in it?

Backberner

Newstopia

CNNNN

Hey this reminds me, what was that show about the journo who worked for a dodgy failing newspaper. More focussed on his personal life though.

Also, Life Support. Which was very similar in tone to Get Krackin', but a little more subtle and without the grating repetitive stuff.

Edited by marron
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic