A-league 18/19 Round 27

25-Apr Brisbane v Adelaide 

26-Apr Heartle$$ v Mariners

27-Apr Newcastle v Smurfs

27-Apr Wanderers v Melb Vic

28-Apr Perth v Phoenix 

Smurfs play their AFC Champions League game away against Shanghai SIPG tomorrow.

Melb Vic play their AFC Champions League game at home against Guangzhou Evergrande.

If 4th placed Adelaide lose on Thursday the 5th place Nix can beat Perth to finish 4th in the last game.

If 6th place City beat CCM then Nix will need to avoid defeat against Perth or only lose by a low enough margin to stay ahead on their current +6 goal difference over City.

On 14/04/2019 at 8:12 PM, Edinburgh said:

In the MV match vs CCM, Elvis got a yellow in the 3rd minute for playing at a ball about knee height resulting in contact with McGlinchey who played at the same ball and with his follow through "hit" the studs of Elvis raised foot. McGlinchey goes down injured straight away and is treated. I thought card was harsh, commentator says ref had little option. McGlinchey is later subbed from the resultant injury.

Anyhoo, let's accept that card as correct.

A bit later Honda plays at a ball at head height with studs showing, collects Aspro on the head and draws blood. Aspro plays on for a second and gets rid of the ball. No foul given. Commentators justify that by saying no intent. Aspro is treated then and a couple of times later in the match.

To me Honda's kick to the head was similar to O'Donovan's last season, with only the outcome less drastic. 

Why was Honda not punished? Big name marquee? 

Why do commentators excuse it? Big name marquee? Hypocritical bastards.

My above post relates to round 25. Iirc, the commentators I mention included Harps. Today he harps on about Goodwin's high foot before he scores not being pulled up. Honda's coulda/shoulda been a red but was play on. Goodwin didn't touch Pepper despite Pepper stooping his head to the ball. Speed was reasonable about it but Harper went on and on. Hypocritical bastard! And I used to generally enjoy his commentary.

5-3 win for adelaide.

top 4 now set.

5th & 6th will only change if the Nix lose to Perth, City beat the Mariners, and the goal difference shifts by 6. With Per/Nix the last game of the round it will probably come down to Nix having to avoid defeat by a certain scoreline (or if City destroy the Mariners by 7, the Nix having to draw or win).

19 minutes ago, mack said:

5-3 win for adelaide.

top 4 now set.

5th & 6th will only change if the Nix lose to Perth, City beat the Mariners, and the goal difference shifts by 7. With Per/Nix the last game of the round it will probably come down to Nix having to avoid defeat by a certain scoreline (or if City destroy the Mariners by 7, the Nix having to draw or win).

An eight goal turn around will change the final order of the 6.

A Nix loss by 4 and a Heartle$$ win by 4 or more is needed as Heartle$$ can't change the order on the same goal difference as they have scored far less goals than the Nix. And Heartle$$ have left out De Laat.

If the Nix lose they will drop a GD to +7 at the minimum so City can go above if they'd won 6-0 as they'd be on +8. Obviously if Nix lose by more than 1 City's goals required would be less.. and if City win 7-0 or more they'd go up to 5th then the Nix will have to draw or win to get back into 5th.

10 hours ago, papersun said:

2.00pm kickoff Brisbane v Adelaide.  Is this a first for the A League?

Yeah I was wondering about this too, I can't remember any since Wanderers started

When was the last time an A-League game started in the afternoon before 5pm?

Melbourne beat SFC 5-0 in the first year of the comp at the old Olympic Park in a 1pm kick-off.

There was a single round years ago where every game was played on the same day that I can't find now but possibly included a similarly early kick-off (probably Wellington at home in the first game).

edit - Found it.

On Wednesday 4th January 2012 Wellington played Sydney FC and kicked off at at 3PM Wellington Time which would have been either 1pm or midday Sydney time. The Heart vs Adelaide game kicked off at 3:15 Melbourne time.

Brisbane games in an early slot are often 4pm games. Their Round 1 & 2 games this year started at 4pm Brisbane time and they had about 5 similar kick-off times last year. Perth & Wellington also have the occasional game that starts between 4pm & 5pm local time.

That being a yellow makes no sense to me. Yes it was outside the box, it a badly timed sliding tackle not a reckless one worth a card, but should have been a red because the attacker was going in one goal with a shot vs the keeper an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

2 minutes ago, mack said:

5-0 to City.

Nix can lose by 1 goal, draw or win against Perth. Any 2 goal or more loss means they drop to 6th.

Maybe Phoenix would rather play Melb Vic with 1-1, 3-3 and 1-1 draws but have lost to Adelaide.

That’s pretty much the perfect result for the neutral. I feel like Perth will win but i don’t see the Nix losing by 3 or 4 goals.

One thing in the Nix favour is if Perth are 1 up with 10 mins to go I can’t see Popa pushing forward for more goals. Even though the result is meaningless for them I think it’s too ingrained in him to shut the opponent down and grind out the result.