Covid Vaccination - where are people at?

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Oh look out Unlimited is single again huh..Well you had a good run, and to be fair you did better than any of us expected. :)

Oh whoops, no! I haven't been dumped yet :meep:

But the trauma of that glorious journey like five or so years ago lives on... and hence I am eligible for Pfizer. I did the questionnaire on NSW Health. I qualify. :xnod:

Not to generalise, but I think a lot of the vaccine hesitancy is mainly the Boomers. They, more than any others, are happy to lap up the misinformation on social media, as well as the hyperbole and exaggeration served up by Murdoch & Co. media outlets.

Most of the people in my age bracket are happy to get vaccinated and are waiting for the 2B phase. I would take AZ if offered to me right now. But I would also take Pfizer or Moderna too. 

The thing that bugs me more than anything is people using the blood clotting rates to justify not wanting the vaccine or waiting. Millions of women - including myself - take the birth control on a daily basis. Every single birth control pill on the market has a risk of blood clots as a serious side-effect. Out of every 10,000 women, 3 to 9 will experience blood clots on the pill. Somehow, the medical community and general population have decided that this an acceptable risk for the benefits gained. 

The risk of clots with the AZ vaccine is remarkably less than the pill. But for some reason, a large portion of the population is up in arms about. Your risk of serious long-term side effects or death with COVID is higher than the side-effects of the vaccine. Additionally, the rate of incidence of blood clots after AZ hasn't been shown to be any more than normal incidence within the community. It's just that people aren't remembering - correlation ≠ causation.

My 57 year old parents (who are not anti-vax by any means) are debating whether to get the AZ or to wait. My dad is overweight with a lot of pre-existing conditions, my mum has asthma. I told them they are both more likely to die from catching COVID than they are to have complications with the AZ vaccine. They blew my concerns off and are "waiting". I'm not sure what for, but this is the mind set of so many people around that age. It's so frustrating, but there's nothing I can do. The worst part is, if it was "get vaccinated and you'll be able to go on holidays overseas", my parents would probably take it because they want travel. I just shake my head. 

1 minute ago, CaptainJess said:

Not to generalise, but I think a lot of the vaccine hesitancy is mainly the Boomers. They, more than any others, are happy to lap up the misinformation on social media, as well as the hyperbole and exaggeration served up by Murdoch & Co. media outlets.

Most of the people in my age bracket are happy to get vaccinated and are waiting for the 2B phase. I would take AZ if offered to me right now. But I would also take Pfizer or Moderna too. 

The thing that bugs me more than anything is people using the blood clotting rates to justify not wanting the vaccine or waiting. Millions of women - including myself - take the birth control on a daily basis. Every single birth control pill on the market has a risk of blood clots as a serious side-effect. Out of every 10,000 women, 3 to 9 will experience blood clots on the pill. Somehow, the medical community and general population have decided that this an acceptable risk for the benefits gained. 

The risk of clots with the AZ vaccine is remarkably less than the pill. But for some reason, a large portion of the population is up in arms about. Your risk of serious long-term side effects or death with COVID is higher than the side-effects of the vaccine. Additionally, the rate of incidence of blood clots after AZ hasn't been shown to be any more than normal incidence within the community. It's just that people aren't remembering - correlation ≠ causation.

My 57 year old parents (who are not anti-vax by any means) are debating whether to get the AZ or to wait. My dad is overweight with a lot of pre-existing conditions, my mum has asthma. I told them they are both more likely to die from catching COVID than they are to have complications with the AZ vaccine. They blew my concerns off and are "waiting". I'm not sure what for, but this is the mind set of so many people around that age. It's so frustrating, but there's nothing I can do. The worst part is, if it was "get vaccinated and you'll be able to go on holidays overseas", my parents would probably take it because they want travel. I just shake my head. 

I think boomers are just used to having everything perfect for them lol As a generation that have had it so good. Something like this pops up, it throws them.

Sorry to ramble on, but this stuff is so frustrating. It's turned political when it shouldn't be. The US and UK have done incredibly well with vaccinations because they just got on with it and increased output as they went.

Right now, there's no incentive for people to get vaccinated in Australia. This is driving complacency. I bet you if there was an outbreak or we were in a similar position to other countries, these people would be scrambling to get it. While many other people are happy to keep living in a bubble indefinitely, there are lots people who want a plan laid out for re-opening. It has to happen at some point, so why not get some clear figures and targets out there on a road-map so we know what we're dealing with. 

But that would require the Government to actually grow some balls and do something. They got burnt by setting date targets for vaccinations, so they won't do that again. Scomo is happy to coast into the election at the end of year on the wave of parochialism and selfishness of a large portion of the population who don't have family, businesses or other commitments overseas. If McGowan's victory in WA showed us anything, it's that people lap up that sort of thinking. 

I'm not advocating for borders to be re-opened right now, but we need a plan for alternatives to hotel quarantine (at-home options for low-risk travelers, federal quarantine, monitoring etc.), more travel bubbles, options for vaccinated travelers, more vaccination access options (pharmacies, schools, Bunnings) and novel ways of bringing people home (heard a great suggestion about using a fleet of cruise ships and medical ships as a combined travel/quarantine option). 

We went from flattening the curve to wanting to live like hermits for the next two to three years. At some point, we need to have a discussion about what level of COVID circulating in the community is acceptable. It's going to happen when we open back up regardless, so let's spell it out. Is it that we're happy for it to float around normal flu numbers? Or do we want less?

14 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I think boomers are just used to having everything perfect for them lol As a generation that have had it so good. Something like this pops up, it throws them.

As a baby boomer that never witnessed the mythical "had it so good" historical fairy tale it pisses me off big time that we get blamed yet again. As you would expect, I know the odd baby boomer and from my general observation we are dealing with covid and vaccinations as well if not better than the other labelled generations. After all, we are used to dealing with adversity over the decades and then just getting on with it.

PS shut up Smoggy (and Jess)

14 minutes ago, CaptainJess said:

I guess growing up in an era of good medicine where there are cures for most things a lot of people have no idea what it was like when we were young and had to get jabs for measles,polio,meningitis,chicken pox,TB etc. I can still remember waiting in massive lines at a local hall or having them done at school. I agree that the incidents of deaths are miniscule but these vaccines have been developed and then rolled out in a very short timeframe. 

I don't disagree with what you're saying but for me it's a matter of thinking about not being one of those poor buggers that happens to die from getting the cure.

It is a concern for older people. My dad gets his jab this afternoon. I think it's AZ but not sure. He's 92 and really nervous about it. I won't get mine until later in the year.  I'll get vaccinated as well but that doesn't mean just because I'm hesitant I'm being paranoid.

1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

As a baby boomer that never witnessed the mythical "had it so good" historical fairy tale it pisses me off big time that we get blamed yet again. As you would expect, I know the odd baby boomer and from my general observation we are dealing with covid and vaccinations as well if not better than the other labelled generations. After all, we are used to dealing with adversity over the decades and then just getting on with it.

With all due respect Ed, it is the Boomers who are complaining. Because right now they're the only ones that can get vaccinated and they're all demanding to have Pfizer instead of AZ. I did say I was generalising in my first post, but from what I read on social media and talking to people in that age group, there's a large portion of older people who won't take a perfectly good vaccine because they think they can demand a "supposedly" better one or they simply don't see a need to. There are many who are educated and logical, like yourself, who have got it done. But for every you, there are two that won't or are complaining. 

All my friends, siblings and work-mates who are 35 and under are desperate to get the vaccine. But we're not eligible yet. I'd say well over 90% of the people my age are happy to get vaccinated. That figure would be much lower in other generations.

1 minute ago, CaptainJess said:

With all due respect Ed, it is the Boomers who are complaining. Because right now they're the only ones that can get vaccinated and they're all demanding to have Pfizer instead of AZ. I did say I was generalising in my first post, but from what I read on social media and talking to people in that age group, there's a large portion of older people who won't take a perfectly good vaccine because they think they can demand a "supposedly" better one or they simply don't see a need to. There are many who are educated and logical, like yourself, who have got it done. But for every you, there are two that won't or are complaining. 

All my friends, siblings and work-mates who are 35 and under are desperate to get the vaccine. But we're not eligible yet. I'd say well over 90% of the people my age are happy to get vaccinated. That figure would be much lower in other generations.

I'd expect that social media complaining would be a poor measure of widespread baby boomer opinion or actions. The evidence from the people you are talking to is the opposite of all the baby boomers I've been talking to. 

And as an aside, most of the 30 to 40 year old people I've spoken with don't care about covid enough to bother with a vaccine.

What does all this mean? It means we don't know enough to know.

I'm mid 60s and have no issues with it and just booked in for my first AZ jab. Unfortunately supplies have run out (country area) but the Medical Centre will let me know when they are available and I can come in. I guess I qualify as a Boomer and I'm bucking the trend :xnod:

44 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

OK Boomer :D

5 hours ago, CaptainJess said:

Have to say Jess, the people in my world who are not planning to get the vaccine are mostly not boomers. 

With regards to Jess's observations, experiences and comments on the vaccine rollout and reluctance by Boomers to get vaccinated.

I'm a Boomer and as mentioned previously I have had my 1st AZ jab last weekend. All went well with no after affects with the exception of a mild chill and very slight nausea both passed after a few hours.

I deliberately held off getting the jab as I thought others should get it before me and my medical centre and many GP's were only receiving limited supplies and still are..

I am a bit surprised that Boomers would be reluctant to get the Vaccine as their experiences as children would surely have had an lasting affect on them and their parents. In the 1940's and 50's diseases such as Polio, diphteria, tetanus, whooping cough etc etc were of major concern then as Vaccines were just being developed ie Polio (which was a crippling disease literally) vaccine 1953. Also, I don't think Boomers are large consumers of Social media although I agree with Jess on the Murdoch and shock jocks sensationalising (if there's such a word) aspects of news and reporting anything especially if they can scare the crap out of gullible people. 

Took the plunge and got Pfizer-ed this afternoon. The setup at Olympic part is impressive, works like a well oiled machine. No issue to report at this stage. I’ll let you know should I grow Elephant-size ears overnight, or a leg fall off, or should one off them secret surveillance submarines fall out of my ears. 

46 minutes ago, FCB said:

Took the plunge and got Pfizer-ed this afternoon. The setup at Olympic part is impressive, works like a well oiled machine. No issue to report at this stage. I’ll let you know should I grow Elephant-size ears overnight, or a leg fall off, or should one off them secret surveillance submarines fall out of my ears. 

How did you get Pfizer may I ask? Last  time I checked, despite your youthful looks, you are older than me! 

On 18/05/2021 at 12:53 PM, CaptainJess said:

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/india/

Show them the graphs of India. A few weeks ago they thought they were on top of COVID, and then India turned into the killing fields. As long as the “waiters” are not vaccinated they are exposed to a potential next wave.

And: winter is coming. 

You could emphasise your point by putting a selection of rocks next to a plastic head on display in your parents living room. 

35 minutes ago, FCB said:

https://vaccination.slhd.nsw.gov.au/vc/sydneyolympicpark/2

I told them that I am the king of Bavaria, and that I am working on the frontline. One of them did the trick. 

Oh you are a star. I discovered today that as an allied health professional, I am in the 1b group, now went on line and 1b’s are getting Pfizer! All booked in! 

@CaptainJess

Here is something for your parents to consider.

There is no medication for covid. If you catch it you have to suffer the consequences, and that could be ugly.

My brother-in-law in Germany, 60-ish, overweight, caught covid early last year. He is yet to fully recover, runs out of puff more easily than he used to. His best friend, also 60-ish, also overweight, caught the virus not long after, ended up in hospital, and very nearly died. One year later he hasn't fully recovered either, notices that he has issues with memory. As he is a school principal, it complicates his work life. In other words: if your parents are in the risk group, they definitely don't want to catch the virus.

With the lack of vaccination in Australia, the door remains open for another wave. Last winter we had limited movement of people. This year it will be different, the usual winter bugs and flu viruses will be passed around more readily, not just covid. People have become more relaxed about masks, sanitizing, socializing. If we see the virus again here, it can and will spread very quickly.

Without the vaccine, your parents are sitting ducks, especially if their are in the risk group.

• mack locked this topic