The Refereeing Thread

Also change to the red card offence for DOGSO is interesting

Great to know that they cleared up/clarified things, but nothing to the handball rule :smurfnono:

Yeah I tried to understand the red card thing... too much info for a Friday afternoon after a big lunch for me.

At park level I like when the referee reads the game for situations like that. If a team is getting pumped 6-0 and a kid blocks a shot with his hand the other coach won't care if it's only a yellow. If it's 1v2 and scores are level maybe look at it differently.

Yeah true. Anyone remember Gary Power? His idea was 'outcome based refereeing'...what is the best outcome for that match, in context? Always worked well.

Interesting note in the law changes doc based on our discussion the other day:

An important statement has been added that referees should officiate within the ‘spirit of the game’ and the ‘spirit of the Laws’ as too many referees (and instructors/observers) apply the Laws too strictly for minor matters which, especially at lower levels of football, does not benefit the game.

I know that this is a HAL thread, but fmd I'd rather have Chris Beath than that lunatic that refereed Leicester/West Ham last night.

If you were holding a ticket at 5000-1 from the beginning of the year, you'd be waiting for him with a baseball bat.

Edited by wswtragic

I did 7 games over the weekend, and my left foot is absolutely killing me this morning.

Might have to start reffing in more comfortable shoes / boots I think. haha

Why were you running for? A proper referee standings the centre circle... nowhere else. :D

Very random question...

I've started reffing this season and my first appointments are this Wednesday as a linesman... is it ok if I wear non-black boots with my black socks? lol 

I'd prefer black boots (or predominantly so). But, if non-black boots are your only option go with them. Better have the right type of football in the wrong colour than the other way around.

Very random question...

I've started reffing this season and my first appointments are this Wednesday as a linesman... is it ok if I wear non-black boots with my black socks? lol

For now, start looking for a good pair to get in the next few weeks :good:

I did 7 games over the weekend, and my left foot is absolutely killing me this morning.

Might have to start reffing in more comfortable shoes / boots I think. haha

Me too, juniors Saturday, played seniors Saturday afternoon & then 3 games yesterday but feeling good! Preseason training has worked :good:

I know that this is a HAL thread, but fmd I'd rather have Chris Beath than that lunatic that refereed Leicester/West Ham last night.

If you were holding a ticket at 5000-1 from the beginning of the year, you'd be waiting for him with a baseball bat.

Think he was ******* brave, you would have to have balls the size of LvG to do that:

- Jamie Vardy first yellow :good:

- Jame Vardy second yellow was a tough one. Yes there was contact by the defender but how Vardy goes down (he moves his legs into West Ham's leg) before theatrically flying through the air. I think it was the theatric fall that earnt him a yellow but I think it was the contact that brought him down so personally don't think it should have been a yellow. Not the first time Vardy has done that this season.

- Robert Huth should have got a penalty but I have a feeling he couldn't see the contact but guess what, there were so many people holding one another, which team do you give the foul to?

- The Leicester pen that levelled it to 2-2 shouldn't have been a pen but maybe it was a case of equaling things out (which shouldn't be a thing), it was shoulder to shoulder & the player was looking for the contact plus had no control of the ball.

Thanks for the help guys :)

I've seen refs wear lime green boots before so I think I'll be fine for this Wednesday, it's only a pre-season school tournament anyway

It's more about looking the part, you want to look professional & without blowing a whistle you want to give that impression when they first see you.

Think he was ******* brave, you would have to have balls the size of LvG to do that:

- Jamie Vardy first yellow :good:

- Jame Vardy second yellow was a tough one. Yes there was contact by the defender but how Vardy goes down (he moves his legs into West Ham's leg) before theatrically flying through the air. I think it was the theatric fall that earnt him a yellow but I think it was the contact that brought him down so personally don't think it should have been a yellow. Not the first time Vardy has done that this season.

- Robert Huth should have got a penalty but I have a feeling he couldn't see the contact but guess what, there were so many people holding one another, which team do you give the foul to?

- The Leicester pen that levelled it to 2-2 shouldn't have been a pen but maybe it was a case of equaling things out (which shouldn't be a thing), it was shoulder to shoulder & the player was looking for the contact plus had no control of the ball.

I agree the first card was warranted, but the second? The defender had hands on, and once that happens the attacker almost always gets the benefit because it disturbs the balance of the run. At worst it should have been waved away.

I've seen Vardy milk plenty, and this time he was hard done by.

And the ref was looking directly at Huth before waving play on. It was a takedown that Randy Orton would have been happy with.

I agree the first card was warranted, but the second? The defender had hands on, and once that happens the attacker almost always gets the benefit because it disturbs the balance of the run. At worst it should have been waved away.

And the ref was looking directly at Huth before waving play on. It was a takedown that Randy Orton would have been happy with

The defender had his hands on his shoulder, how did that cause Vardy to fly through the air? How Vardy came down was he moved his body into the path of the defender, got his legs tangled & went down (had nothing to do with the arm on his shoulder). Vardy was very clever, manufacturing the contact but on his way to ground he almost launched himself in the air.

As I said, there was actually contact which is why Vardy went down but it was the exaggerated nature that he went to ground which is why I feel he got a card for simulation. I think it was a good call to give a foul but should have just got a warning instead of yellow.

-----------------------

On Huth, he was watching about 8 players with there arms all over one another. It wasn't like it was just two players seperate from one another but hard to be 100% what was going on & who was doing what to who.

And the ref was looking directly at Huth before waving play on. It was a takedown that Randy Orton would have been happy with

The defender had his hands on his shoulder, how did that cause Vardy to fly through the air? How Vardy came down was he moved his body into the path of the defender, got his legs tangled & went down (had nothing to do with the arm on his shoulder). Vardy was very clever, manufacturing the contact but on his way to ground he almost launched himself in the air.

As I said, there was actually contact which is why Vardy went down but it was the exaggerated nature that he went to ground which is why I feel he got a card for simulation. I think it was a good call to give a foul but should have just got a warning instead of yellow.

-----------------------

On Huth, he was watching about 8 players with there arms all over one another. It wasn't like it was just two players seperate from one another but hard to be 100% what was going on & who was doing what to who.

leicester-west-ham-huth_3450707.jpg?2016

No issue with the Vardy 2nd yellow for diving. We need to get rid of it completely IMHO, that includes the 'dives' were contact is embellished and the severity of the foul is simulated.

That should be where instead of were... argh!

That is a great still, but watch the video & it becomes less clear. Also, he actually does worse than that but would be better if we could see the footage from the referees angle. I'm not arguing it wasn't a penalty but it depends on what the referee sees in the game, not from a reverse camera angle.

No issue with the Vardy 2nd yellow for diving. We need to get rid of it completely IMHO, that includes the 'dives' were contact is embellished and the severity of the foul is simulated.

Tsk tsk tsk

That is a great still, but watch the video & it becomes less clear. Also, he actually does worse than that but would be better if we could see the footage from the referees angle. I'm not arguing it wasn't a penalty but it depends on what the referee sees in the game, not from a reverse camera angle.

Tsk tsk tsk

One of those times we will have to agree to disagree.

I still hate when the referee becomes the talking point - the best refs keep control but aren't the focus of everything.

Good article re: Leicester game and reaction to refereeing decisions. Great comment from a Hammers fan: why was Andy Carroll even in his own box when the team is playing against 10 men?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/apr/18/jon-moss-referee-leicester-west-ham-jamie-vardy

Fantastic article, Greg B is a regular on the guardians football weekly too :good:

I think he got most of the big decisions right but his consistency was lacking but to get the criticism he received was pretty much insane.

Strebre Delovski has announced his retirement effective end of this season.

I think it's a shame - he's one of the better ones imo. There won't be too many tears in Melbourne, though - they see him differently down there ....

Delovski is the best ref in the history of Australian football. Look at his games over the years, no one comes close to respecting derbies and big calls.

Streb is a very close friend of mine and I'm not saying the above because of that I'm saying it because it's the truth.

There is a reason why he gets players referee year in year out!

#respect

Yeah definitely the best ref going around...like any ref he makes mistakes but he doesn't have this 'aura' that I find so nauseating among many other refs...most notably Chris Beath. He seems humble enough to realise that not everything he does is going to be correct so he doesn't act like a dick, and I think the players respect him more for it.