The Weather Thread.

3 hours ago, sonar said:

We have the majority of our plants in pots these days.....easier to maintain and greater water retention.

We don't water the lawn due to habits from the last drought. The majority of the houses in the street do the same and I have to agree most of them are looking a bit on the brown side. I haven't had to mow the lawn for at least a month now. I'm over the heat. Too many days over 40+.

I've been watering everything, every day...including the lawn.

Can't stand watching things shrivel and die off...and plenty of lawns I've seen around the place seem all but dead.

Our water bill will be massive!

Sigh.

15 hours ago, sonar said:

We have the majority of our plants in pots these days.....easier to maintain and greater water retention.

We don't water the lawn due to habits from the last drought. The majority of the houses in the street do the same and I have to agree most of them are looking a bit on the brown side. I haven't had to mow the lawn for at least a month now. I'm over the heat. Too many days over 40+.

40+ degrees?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been out on the roads for 5 days now. Same story wherever you go in NSW, VIC and SA holiday business is down and people are staying away (understandably so in some areas of course).

Two things to do when the crisis is over, donate to the RFS cause and have a long weekend away close to one of the impacted areas and spend some money...the locals will really appreciate this.

It was 42c where i was yesterday...a pleasant top of just 25c today. 2 sketchbooks already filled, lots of local produce sampled and the lad getting a taste for travel and seems to have inherited that 'i wonder what is over that hill' curiosity. He follows the map as i drive and looks out the window the whole time..no ******* ipad / screen..nailed it.

Edited by Smoggy
18 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Batemans Bay a few hours ago.

Holy ****!!

People told to evacuate to the beach.

My younger brother and his wife bought a unit there a month or two ago. My sister rang him today to see how he is.....told her he couldn't talk as he had to evacuate immediately. Very scary for a lot of folks at the moment.

1 minute ago, sonar said:

My younger brother and his wife bought a unit there a month or two ago. My sister rang him today to see how he is.....told her he couldn't talk as he had to evacuate immediately. Very scary for a lot of folks at the moment.

I'm heading there on Saturday for a week, my only holiday this year and I'm taking my 2 kids and 2 of their friends. Heading to Malua Bay, just south of Batemans. 

Malua is also under serious fire threat.

It doesn't look like I'll be going.

I'm thinking the news still to come, will be the worst, both here in NSW and also in Victoria. These fires are unprecedented and extraordinarily dangerous.

There could be dozens, if not hundreds of homes lost, and possibly many lives.

4 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Absolutely, well they have been in Government for the past 10 yrs or so, have they not? 

LOL - spot on.

For a party that's NEVER been in power, and who get 10-15% of the vote, they apparently have weilded the power to bring the nation to it's knees!

And that's how it feels.

A more wicked deflection of responsibility and guilt by some in politics and the media (2GB and co) I honestly can't think of.

And that's the word you hear over and over again - describing events all over the world - "unprecedented".

And yet it's a fantasy according to Alan Jones and co.

PS I didn't mean for my question to be directed at you or anyone specific here WB.  :D

I'm just overwhelmingly sad and angry at the moment.....and I'm I haven't figured out yet where I need to direct that.

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Sorry WB  - I should have said - "Have you seen what's happened in Mallacoota?"

Wendy, I have been following these fires all day, considering I'm heading down there in 4 days.

For the Mallacoota and Gippsland fires, I've been following this thread elsewhere - 

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/gippsland-fires.86619/page-6#post-4133766

For the NSW south coast fires, I've been following this - 

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/se-nsw-widespread-bushfire-risk-on-tuesday-12th-november-and-beyond.86304/page-48#post-4133702

…...as well as several other RFS and Live traffic sites.