Australian National Teams Thread 5: WC Playoffs Here We Come

mack

4 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

I agree that the pedigree and higher level capability isn't there - compared to golden era. But, I think our current problem is less to do with personnel and more to do with the lack of strategy, wrong player choices... Ordinary, ineffrctive coaching. Arnie is very effective as A League coach but continues to demonstrate an inability above that level. Grant continually plays as if he is in SFC and gets in Boyles way, for example. There doesnt appear to be a strategy to attack. The defence works because two good defenders and keeper hold it together.

We aren't a team of great players but not we formed into a solid, effective team.

I think personnel is a big factor, we dont seem to be producing much talent that is good at taking on players, those creative types.

In tight games, they make a difference.

I think the A-league has played a role in this and hindered the development of young players in this country, we have become reliant on importing the no9, no10 into this country, the so called creative players who at times are have been no better than the local players.

We are seeing this effect of this now.

Arnold's diabolical team selection have Australia's Mens FIFA ranking drop.

Playing Mooy as DM with Rogic was idiotic. Made Behich look ordinary when Mooy should have been criticized.

Playing Leckie ahead of Duke or Ruka in the game against Saudi as well as Mullet man ahead of Karacic.

Playing Leckie ahead of McGree and still playing Mullet man against China.

Arnold is just pathetic at international level when it comes to good opposition.

We should poach the Saudi coach Renard now

10 hours ago, marron said:

Anyone else see the continental playoff has been confirmed to be a single game in a neutral venue? They will draw soon as to which confed plays who out of Asia, OFC, Concacaf and Conmebol.

So essentially finishing 3rd means 2 sudden death one off play-offs on neutral ground most likely Qatar.  Honestly if its NZ we will be ok, if its north America its close between US, Panama, Canada and Mexico, outside of Panama I don't think we can beat the other 3, and then if its South America forget it regardless who we draw the team isn't good enough to go up against any of them.

Edited by Sithslayer1991

We won't win the play-off anyway.

At least we wouldn't get knocked out by NZ now.

NZ might play Panama.

This should be the last WC both us and NZ fail to qualify for as long as they keep the 48 team madness. OFC now gets a direct slot, and we'd have to drop below 8th place. The only way I could see that happening is if the AFC keep the same structure as the current qualifying except they just give a WC spot to the top team in each of the second round groups, and then we get a group with a highly rated 2nd place team then fail spectacularly.

If they retain a final round of two groups of 6 we should be easily capable of finishing top 4 in a 6 team group that should have at least 3 much weaker teams than us.

Graham Arnold: “Me? To the Wanderers? Please. They can get the banner back out...” Arnold told the Sydney Morning Herald in reference to a controversial tifo Wanderers fans made of the former Sydney FC coach.

Bit of a weird answer, do you want your family to be distressed again? 

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/football/news/a-league-and-australian-transfer-news-and-rumours-graham-arnold-rubbishes-wanderers-rumour-as-he-commits-to-socceroos/1vh6eod88zjs91l1dbx4ogb7ge

• mack changed the title to Australian National Teams Thread 5: WC Playoffs Here We Come
  • mack locked this topic