The Refereeing Thread

18 hours ago, Paul01 said:

There's some good quality there - who've been getting plenty of match time during the NPLW/NPLM seasons. 

18 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I meant they're both the last of the remaining refs on Smurf's payroll

I don't doubt its cost cutting but if I recall they dropped the amount of broadcast cameras are available since the move from Fox so VAR especially with offside isn't super accurate and your not getting every angle so at best VAR the past 2 seasons has been implemented with a half ass attempt. Its for the best VAR goes and we get on with the game.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunate but it's on the player to avoid in that situation, coming in from the blindside. The ref is in the textbook location for corners, edge of area on the side opposite the assistant. The guy who got the ball had a simple ball backward to the one defender but lost it instead.

I couldn't pick the offside from that broadcast camera it looks pretty tight even on a side-on camera. Bad positioning from the linesman though, he should have been in line with the ball.

image.png.e9017d4f1c0edf8b85d3aeca57eee587.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/11/2023 at 10:43 AM, Davo said:

Solving the increase in criticism of refereeing howlers by banning criticism of referees rather than preventing the howlers is an interesting strategy.

Here is an extract fom the LOTG

"Decisions will be made to the best of the referee's ability according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’ and will be based on the opinion of the referee, who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.

The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final. The decisions of the referee, and all other match officials, must always be respected."

• 3 weeks later...

Never seen this one before (from a free kick at least, seen a few from pens). Goal disallowed by VAR because free kick hit the crossbar and came back to the taker without touching anyone else. Highlight from 2:28 in the vid.

I think he knew he'd blown it. Ref reaction was interesting, I'm guessing he wasn't sure if the Villareal player actually touched it.

I was just about to post the same thing.

Didn’t help that the onscreen graphic from the broadcaster said offside, leaving the commentator baffled.

I’ve seen a lot of knee jerk reactions in comments sections saying they should change the rule because of this. But if the frame of the goal counts as a touch that would mean you could score directly off an indirect free as long as it hits the post on the way in.

Also what about pens, corners, throw ins? Could a keeper pick up the ball, hold it for as long as they’re allowed to, then bounce it off the post for a touch that allows them to pick it up again?

I feel like they’d break so many other rules to “fix” something that is a one in a million chance of happening.

Yeah, probably 99.99% of incidents involving that rule are from pens, and I'm fine keeping it for pens, and then to avoid the loopholes you might generate without it, to keep it consistent. Or you end up like baseball & softball that have different minor differences between the two games (despite them basically being identical apart from delivery style) and then between the same game at different levels.

Sam Silvera scored an indirect fk in the box last night. Came from a backpass call. I think calling that a "deliberate kick" to the keeper is harsh, the initial ball came from an opponent and the clearance came in a challenge between the defender and another player.

Off to the Asian Cup

Five of the Australian FIFA officials will represent Australia at the upcoming AFC Asian Cup 2023™, with Alireza Faghani, Shaun Evans, Ashley Beecham, Anton Shchetinin and Kate Jacewicz selected as match officials for the tournament in Qatar

• 1 month later...

Nathan McGill interpretation of Germain

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/sick-tired-rudan-blasts-alm-163000047.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAD1QXmmbWpbcs-fGZLHDRybNcZy1336Man65MElj1oTE1uL5kWUW1XFKpsqZVqOT48gs8bpwkPgHpLmPpNaQF30cUzJ_Y5Hit5FVlJulXBNWeIc9LvKqTyyQlN9LudtFoRmDdZmPO4pSdBgyz03_jZ_SY0fYQ9ifbbzFOnJiKnZD

Yellow card only. FFS.

From IFAB LOTG with my emphasis and underline

Violent conduct

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

FA going for the cover-up option. Not only did they miss the red card, they didn't even give Germain the yellow card they told Rudan that he got.

Just like they did when Baccus got a red card over in Perth when the VAR failed because their cameras weren't aimed in the right direction for the Perth player who got the ball to be called for offside before the red card foul.

I went back and looked at the VAR times from the game in Tasmania. They took 3 minutes to do the first check and 3 minutes 27 seconds to do the next one.

Our calls?

It took 49 seconds to clear the Beadling handball, ignoring that he was fouled twice.

After Germain's kick out Kersey restarted the match in 1 minute with no VAR check done at all.

The winning goal they took 1 minute 20 seconds to clear it, assuming they bothered doing a check at all.

So all three incidents were either ignored or cleared in a combined time less than they spent on each of the VAR incidents in Tasmania.

Antonsson scored against City on the 12th of January, VAR spent 3 minutes 32 seconds finding a reason to justify ruling out the goal, and decided that a foul 15 seconds before the goal was enough to rule it out. That same round they also let a goal stand in another game despite the ball being won back by the team who scored 15 seconds earlier via a foul.

When Borrello got stomped out of the game with a studs up attack from behind by Brattan the ref called WSW to play on just 15 seconds after the foul. No yellow card, no match review panel suspension and no VAR check.

And they wonder why interest in this league is dying.

1 hour ago, mack said:

When Magill says there was no proof contact was made he's lying, the half-time show had multiple angles clearly show that Davila hit Beadling in the leg then the arm, and then got up to stick his studs into Beadling's groin. All while Kearsey was looking directly at the event.

image.png.f435f977f1ce17d017fe302f0d034114.png

image.png.ab129aa95fc80181b34862d4d74149be.png

image.png.c8d2410cfa4225359187b53ff7ad1c01.png

I hope you send these photos to the club as this is positive proof of Kersey's incompetence or f***-up. They can use them.

Send these photos to The Global Game SMS line with a tag line. "Did Germaine miss Beadling?"

It is now clear that McGill is in protection mode for Kersey and King. 

It makes me wonder why i still referee games.