Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

I know! Not even one game a season, it has to be a derby final!

Todd Greenberg and Gallop should be out in the media calling out Tony Shepherd's conflict of interest here, and saying that the only time AFL use the ground is if there happens to be a Sydney derby in a final, but will they?

It's a pretty simple argument for them - the AFL want it for what MIGHT happen in 20 years, we NEED it now.

The NRL and FFA get eaten alive by the AFL when it comes to this stuff.

11 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I know! Not even one game a season, it has to be a derby final!

Todd Greenberg and Gallop should be out in the media calling out Tony Shepherd's conflict of interest here, and saying that the only time AFL use the ground is if there happens to be a Sydney derby in a final, but will they?

It's a pretty simple argument for them - the AFL want it for what MIGHT happen in 20 years, we NEED it now.

The NRL and FFA get eaten alive by the AFL when it comes to this stuff.

Gallop won't say anything.

He's  fighting for survival.

If Gallop doesn't come out firing on this issue of critical football infrastructure then he is a lame duck CEO.

he needs to hit the blower to Greenberg and pulver TONIGHT 

FMD the Giants are some ungrateful carpetbaggers. First they got a stadium at Blacktown built for them when they didn't deserve it. Never filled it but buggered off to the Showgrounds. Not that they were at the head of the queue for a new stadium but they got the government to re-build the Showgrounds for them.

now they want Homebush to be configured for them when they've got a stadium more than big enough for them next door.

and they have no fans anyway.

if the NSW premier falls for their BS she's a bigger dud than even I took her for.

2 minutes ago, mack said:

GWS had $100+ million of taxpayer funds used to build them their abandoned Blacktown Oval & Training facilities, and then the Homebush training facilities & Sydney Showground. Enough is enough.

And people still bring up the failed WC bid. I don't understand why no-one attacks these dudes.

3 hours ago, Simmo79 said:

If Gallop doesn't come out firing on this issue of critical football infrastructure then he is a lame duck CEO.

he needs to hit the blower to Greenberg and pulver TONIGHT 

FMD the Giants are some ungrateful carpetbaggers. First they got a stadium at Blacktown built for them when they didn't deserve it. Never filled it but buggered off to the Showgrounds. Not that they were at the head of the queue for a new stadium but they got the government to re-build the Showgrounds for them.

now they want Homebush to be configured for them when they've got a stadium more than big enough for them next door.

and they have no fans anyway.

if the NSW premier falls for their BS she's a bigger dud than even I took her for.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-boss-todd-greenberg-seeks-meeting-with-premier-gladys-berejiklian-over-sydney-stadia-feud-20170730-gxllp8.html

6 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

The Giants have averaged a home crowd of just over 10,000 at Spotless Stadium since 2012 – less than the average for home fixtures they take to Canberra's Manuka Oval – meaning ANZ Stadium's increased capacity might only ever appeal as a venue for end-of-season marquee matches or those against the crowd-pulling Swans.

The AFL are an entitled lot aren't they. If the idea of spending an estimated twice as much on redeveloping a stadium that is less than 20 years old than it does to build a whole new stadium isn't mind boggling enough, the AFL expect the ground to be able to cater for the occasional "marquee" fixture that might happen once a year. The irony of Sheppard banging on about it is that most of the fans that show up wouldn't even be to support his team. 

19 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Yep, Greenberg is meeting the Premier, why isn't Gallop going with him? Perfect chance to gang up on AFL.

That's just what I don't get.

All of us rectangular heads absolutely despise that **** game invented in Ireland and was reinvented in a southern state of this country, and now professes to be a worldly popular sport. It is nothing of the sort. Yet, the powers to be are sucked in time and time again by their power.

I just don't get why Greenburg, Gallop and that Union bloke aren't really putting some serious **** on the Premier about this.

If the AFL get their way, I reckon it's about time the Melbourne Storm and Victory request that the MCG should be turned into a rectangular stadium. It's not as if that place has ever held an Olympic games, eh?

I've worked up some numbers on this.

When redeveloped, ANZ will see roughly 37 events a year to draw large numbers of patrons.

• 1 State of Origin rugby league game.
  • 28 NRL matches (this might get bigger once ANZ is actually finished as a rectangle).
  • 1 A-League Derby (I figure at least SFC or WSW will be greedy enough to take 1 of their 2 matches in a season over, as long as there are still 3 games a season)
  • 1 Australian National Team Football match (which could easily be more games, and could be bigger than the 35k I allocated it).
  • 1 Rugby Union Australia vs NZ Match
  • Around 3 concerts a year. ANZ has hosted some massive concerts in the past few years. ACDC, Foo Fighters, Adele, Taytay, Bieber, Guns N Roses, and more will come in the future. Adele got something like 95k for TWO events. Even 3 a year might be putting it down a bit.
  • 2 "exhibition" special events. Things like Arsenal vs WSW & SFC, Liverpool, the ICC, "Legends" games, American Football exhibition, as well as covering other smaller events in total.

Even if ANZ becomes an oval, Cricket isn't coming back.

Now the AFL have admitted they will play at most two matches of AFL a season. They will have to be the Midgets vs Swans, and it would have to mean AFL playing a regular season game AND getting a semi-final. Unlikely.

Even if they play 2 games a season, with 37 other events that either require a rectangle or don't care about ground shape (ie concerts), that's just 5% of the total for a year. At best. At worst, it could be 0%!

Really, this comes down to AFL wanting their snout in the trough over and over again.

Should an at-best usage case of 120,000 AFL fans deserve to ruin the potential for ANZ to become the best rectangle stadium in Australia for the 1.1 million that show up to non-oval events?

Tony Shepard & Rugby Loving Alan Jones are obviously behind this, their little cabal with the treasonous Stuart Ayres has a joint goal to make redeveloping ANZ "too hard", so that the new Premier will go "sod this" and cancel the ANZ redevelopment and plow the money into a knock-down rebuild of the SFS (or a nice little land grab of Centennial Park/Moore Park greenlands). Shepard probably also thinks he might get some "shut up and piss off" money to get the Showground (aka Spotless aka Skoda) upgraded further despite it being totally unwarranted.

And you only briefly touched on what happens at the other end of town, where they make a land grab, trying to steal what is not theirs, an effort which last time caused huge uproar (and has in the past been opposed by none other than the PM himself), OR they kick out their current tenants while they rebuild, and they've all said they don't want that. And all for a stadium that currently doesn't get filled anyway.

It's lunacy. Every knows it. If they manage to get an SFS rebuild ahead of ANZ, we know once and for all that this city is a corrupt farce.

On 8/8/2016 at 7:36 AM, SBW said:

It seems that AFL are trying to stop the redevelopment of ANZ stadium to cater for the 'growth of the Manuka Midgets'

I doubt the state government would budge on this one since they have planned and allocated the funds

On 8/8/2016 at 10:29 AM, SBW said:

No links, it was discussed in the pre-match of the suns and giants game on fox footy and there were suggestions by one of panel members that because of the successes of the Giants this seasons, the afl are looking to stop the ANZ stadium redevelopments to cater for their growth.

I posted these one year ago in the other thread... Looks like as soon as the redevelopments was announced last year, the AFL have been working behind the scenes to stop this from happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just penned another letter to our dear Premier, outlining the bleeding obvious - that the SFS doesn't need/deserve the money that should be spent on ANZ for reconfiguration to rectangular and that they certainly should not waste any additional money on allowing the redeveloped ANZ to be reconfigurable for the Oval sports!! For goodness' sake, this is how ANZ became the viewing mess that it did in the first place after the Olympics. ANZ should be around 75k, nice steep stands close to the action and continue to develop the surrounds to improve the match day experience with more pubs/restaurants etc. Of course, blind freddy can see this, but this is NSW and a wink and a nod and an agreement to return favours still occurs far too often. I wait with bated breath.

At least Parra is in the bag.....

PREMIER Gladys Berejiklian will upgrade both ANZ and Allianz stadiums and says she is prepared to commit more money than the $1.6 billion that is now set aside for the projects.

On a visit to Tokyo yesterday, Ms Berejiklian said both stadiums could even be rebuilt at the same time, provided sporting codes could find a way to manage their games as work progressed.

In her strongest comments yet on Sydney’s stadium wars, the Premier said Sydney Olympic Park’s ANZ Stadium remained the priority but she would consider starting work on Moore Park’s dilapidated Allianz Stadium before the March 2019 election.

She said she was determined to push ahead because the presence of world-class facilities “means jobs, it means tourism”.

“I want to bring things forward,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“The only thing that would prevent me from doing that with Allianz is the content issue. If we can find an innovative way to deal with the content issue — and it does require further discussion with the codes — then that’s the big challenge for us.”

Estimates for the ANZ work range from $900 million to $1.6 billion and a rebuild of Allianz for $400 million to $800 million. 

Ms Berejiklian said she wasn’t “wedded” to the $1.6 billion price for the work as it didn’t even account for construction of other stadiums.

“I’d love to see an outer Western Sydney stadium,” she said.

“I’d love to see indoor stadia ... the 1.6 is what we allocated at the time for this term but there’s nothing stopping me from improving on that if I can because we are in a strong financial position ... Having said that, I do have a keen eye on the dollar and want to make sure you get the best bang for your buck.

“I’ll do what’s best, I’m not wedded by what envelope we’ve created. “If we have the opportunity to look outside that envelope we will.”

MS Berejiklian said investing in stadiums could make Sydney “the global events capital of the region”.

“We’ve got the International Convention Centre. We’re starting to see soccer matches we’ve never seen before; I want Sydney to be the regional capital for major events and we have the potential to do that.”

Ms Berejiklian is on a five-day trade mission to Japan and South Korea to meet potential investors for Sydney’s infrastructure boom.

“We have an infrastructure investment boom the likes of which we’ve never seen ... I want to make sure it’s there for the next generation of projects,” she said.

“The pitch to people is NSW not only has impressive infrastructure now but we’re wanting you to invest in future projects.”

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic