Off Topic Thread 4

mack

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/28/volcano-threat-forces-evacuation-of-thousands-on-vanuatu-island

From where I lived as a kid, you could see this island.... sometimes. A thick blue outline on the horizon, conical in shape. Other times it would just not be there, like it never existed.  Humidity in the air would just wipe it out. My best mate was from there. 

I wonder when the media will find the connection between Kristi Abraham  (who murdered her daughter, Keisha [spelling?] a couple of years ago), and Lance Pearce (who murdered his ex-girlfriend last weekend)??

Spoiler alert! They were in the same year at St Clair High School!!

Source? Me. I was in the same ******* year.... And went through primary school with Lance as well. The horrible ******* prick 

2 hours ago, DontCallMeJacko said:

I wonder when the media will find the connection between Kristi Abraham  (who murdered her daughter, Keisha [spelling?] a couple of years ago), and Lance Pearce (who murdered his ex-girlfriend last weekend)??

Spoiler alert! They were in the same year at St Clair High School!!

Source? Me. I was in the same ******* year.... And went through primary school with Lance as well. The horrible ******* prick 

wow, you were so lucky to grow up with a couple of stand up people

I have 2 sons. One lives on the Central Coast. The other works in Sydney with occasional one off jobs further afield.

My eldest son was asked to fill in for a football teammate's baketball team on Wednesday night. Five minutes in he dislocated his ankle (good timing for the family holiday next week!)  He called us just after midnight to let us know before his phone battery died. He was at Wyong Hospital waiting to transfer to Gosford Hospital.

Then he posted a help request on fb for someone with a phone charger.  My other son's wife noticed the message and called her husband:

"Aren't you working at Gosford today?" 

"Yes"

"Where?"

"Gosford Hospital"

Neither of them have ever been there before.

So a few minutes later while the elder brother, who has managed to recharge his phone, is trying to call his brother guess who walks into the ward?

What are the chances?

On 28/09/2017 at 8:05 PM, marron said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/28/volcano-threat-forces-evacuation-of-thousands-on-vanuatu-island

From where I lived as a kid, you could see this island.... sometimes. A thick blue outline on the horizon, conical in shape. Other times it would just not be there, like it never existed.  Humidity in the air would just wipe it out. My best mate was from there. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/02/planes-ships-barges-the-diy-evacuation-of-vanuatu-volcano-island

Amazing story. 

I flew on those 10 seater planes, it was pretty hairy stuff. The ships they're talking about were ancient rusty tubs as well, but you'd wait for them to come in to harbour because it would mean potentially new stuff in the shops. 

I saw some brainless attention seekers tonight who tried to use tonight’s match to make a political statement.

Luckily, police were called in, banner confiscated and situation defused with minimal fuss but I really wonder about people sometimes.

They were having a big old whinge trying to argue that it was there freedom of speech to display their banner :rolleyes: and blah blah blah. It really mystifies me how they can not understand the sensitivity of the situation of a country in the midst of fighting a civil war and how they though that was the time and place to protest. Brainless. Lucky Riot Police were on hand fast as the situation could have got out of control with some very unhappy people.

This was the thing Mack, it was by a group of people who were not of obvious Syrian decent. My guess it was a group of Caucasian Australians who are against the Assad regime in Syria.

I understand that there are going to be opposing sides in attendance tonight and the strong police presence was understandable (a first). I saw those images on twitter too.

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

This was the thing Mack, it was by a group of people who were not of obvious Syrian decent. My guess it was a group of Caucasian Australians who are against the Assad regime in Syria.

Sad if this is the case. Was it in the away bay? 

14 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Don't suppose you wanna say what it said? I understand you might not wanna post it here.

No, not really. My point was to highlight the stupidity of the stunt rather than discuss the politics of the message, group or what they were trying to achieve.

12 hours ago, Valter43 said:

Sad if this is the case. Was it in the away bay? 

It wasn’t, but lucky it wasn’t close. There were Syrian supporters all over the ground, pockets all over the place. In one of the corners opposite the away support.

Changing subjects, I could have seen a bozza replica rant appearing online had we not progressed!

17 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Good luck to anyone sitting the HSC over the next few weeks. Stay focused and use your exam time wisely. 

Good luck to family and friends of people sitting the HSC. Life is no doubt going to reach peek stress for a while. 

And to the teachers, keep doing what you do. 

Thanks for that message SG. :good:

First exam down for my ESL class.

Two more to do today - then.....done for  English.

I hate the production line feel to the passing out of Yr 12 classes....but that's the way it is, I guess. :(:(

Teachers feel profound relief when their kids come out of the HSC  exam, and say that the paper was fair, they were well prepared, and there were no nasty surprises.

I am officially relieved that that's how my kids have emerged from their 3 ESL English exams over the past 2 days.

PS Only one girl flew into my arms for a hug after one of today's exams, but I KNOW she'll have done fine. :lol::lol:

Sighhhh!

Now we start again with the next class.

PS This story....which kind of amused my students - who do a separate paper -  has gained a bit of publicity today.

I feel sorry for the poet. Far too easy to cop abuse in today's world.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/why-every-student-posting-abuse-towards-indigenous-author-should-fail-the-hsc/news-story/2ac4f30add258b8ccdd106a5de46d163

The question specifically about the poem was "explain how the poet conveys the delights of discovery".

mango.PNG.10a18835aba15bd4feda68ee8a9fff08.PNG

No wonder they were pissed at having to deal with such a stupid question. Most of the articles are about "abuse" on private facebook pages that have nothing to do with the author. And much of what was directed on twitter seemed less "abuse" and more "explain this mango poem".

As for failing everyone. How ridiculous. Imagine failing a kid in the last exam after 12 years of formal education because they posted a meme on a facebook page about a mango poem. That won't **** their life up at all.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic