Australian National Teams Thread 5: WC Playoffs Here We Come

mack

This Olympics qualifications thingy is a tough gig - Japan out after losing first 2 group matches. 

Here's hoping Australia can consolidate it's top of group position against Bahrain in the morning and get into the knockout stage.

6 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

This Olympics qualifications thingy is a tough gig - Japan out after losing first 2 group matches. 

Here's hoping Australia can consolidate it's top of group position against Bahrain in the morning and get into the knockout stage.

What do you mean by out? They're the  Olympic hosts, they qualify automatically unless I'm missing something.

8 minutes ago, papersun said:

What do you mean by out? They're the  Olympic hosts, they qualify automatically unless I'm missing something.

He meant out of group stage.

If Japan made final 4 all teams go to Tokyo.....as it is stands now three top teams go through. Aus have to get to final or win 3v4 playoff.

1 hour ago, papersun said:

I'm the one missing "something"! I had forgotten where the Olympics are being held.

Still, a bit of a surprise that Japan will miss the knockout stage of the qualifiers. 

The team will play traditional rivals Korea Republic or Jordan in the semi-final.

A win means Olympic Qualification.

There is much Baccus hate on other forums. 

But Mack was spot on on Twitter #ArnieOut.

The angry one yet again went to Pace and Power which is his modus operandi. This was evident when he subbed Najjarine off and replaced him with Buhagiar instead of Italiano.

3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

The team will play traditional rivals Korea Republic or Jordan in the semi-final.

A win means Olympic Qualification.

There is much Baccus hate on other forums. 

But Mack was spot on on Twitter #ArnieOut.

The angry one yet again went to Pace and Power which is his modus operandi. This was evident when he subbed Najjarine off and replaced him with Buhagiar instead of Italiano.

What's the reason for Baccus hate on other forums?

2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Heard on FNR podcast as well they aren't sold on Baccus. With the Olyroos his performance has been safe and when trying his passes to open up defence tends to lose it. He has been average in the green and gold

But he is better than the other aussie DM that AGF actually have on the books (Zac Duncan)

5 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

But he is better than the other aussie DM that AGF actually have on the books (Zac Duncan)

We haven't seen his ability to spread the play and distribution in this competition yet. He is capable of more but agree he is the best of what we have outside Riley Mcgree

Smash and grab again. Arnie Ball is ugly af. 35 min in and Speedy is naming possible over age players to go to the Olympics, before we even scored.

Not sure why they are naming Ryan when Glover has done well all tournament from all reports? And isn't the overage players an option anyway?

I'd be surprised if Arnie didn't just produce a replica of 2008 based on what I've seen thus far 

6 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Smash and grab again. Arnie Ball is ugly af. 35 min in and Speedy is naming possible over age players to go to the Olympics, before we even scored.

Not sure why they are naming Ryan when Glover has done well all tournament from all reports? And isn't the overage players an option anyway?

I'd be surprised if Arnie didn't just produce a replica of 2008 based on what I've seen thus far 

Ryan needs to stay in England and keep his place in preparation for tougher games for the Socceroos

The Angry One was outfoxed in the semifinal

I have this from a post in the FTBL forum but is worth a read

"Korea U-23 boss Kim Hak-bum on 2-0 win over Australia: "We were prepared to play 120 minutes, but I expected Australia to run out of gas in the second half and planned for that accordingly. Their games showed that they fatigue quickly in the second half. We had to exploit that."

More from Kim Hak-bum on win over Australia: "It's not just a matter of running more than the opposition for us. We analyzed Australia based on data. We're superior in terms of techniques, speed and power. I expected Australia to fatigue fairly quickly and I was right."

Kim Hak-bum on if he was surprised to see Australia leave out their regular starters: "We would've actually played even better if they deployed a lineup that we expected from them. Many of the Aussie players who didn't start today played 120 minutes in the quarter-final."

Kim Hak-bum on Oh Se-hun's standout performance: "I instructed him to initiate direct duels against their No. 4 (Dylan Ryan). Se-hun is a competitive player. Their No. 4 and No. 6 (Tass Mourdoukoutas) couldn't beat him in the air. We were right to use that to our advantage."

Edited by Paul01
Added info
On 26/01/2020 at 1:38 PM, Paul01 said:

The Angry One was outfoxed in the semifinal

I have this from a post in the FTBL forum but is worth a read

"Korea U-23 boss Kim Hak-bum on 2-0 win over Australia: "We were prepared to play 120 minutes, but I expected Australia to run out of gas in the second half and planned for that accordingly. Their games showed that they fatigue quickly in the second half. We had to exploit that."

More from Kim Hak-bum on win over Australia: "It's not just a matter of running more than the opposition for us. We analyzed Australia based on data. We're superior in terms of techniques, speed and power. I expected Australia to fatigue fairly quickly and I was right."

Kim Hak-bum on if he was surprised to see Australia leave out their regular starters: "We would've actually played even better if they deployed a lineup that we expected from them. Many of the Aussie players who didn't start today played 120 minutes in the quarter-final."

Kim Hak-bum on Oh Se-hun's standout performance: "I instructed him to initiate direct duels against their No. 4 (Dylan Ryan). Se-hun is a competitive player. Their No. 4 and No. 6 (Tass Mourdoukoutas) couldn't beat him in the air. We were right to use that to our advantage."

Give yourself a wrap Mr. Bum.

While you are there tell  us about being sacked as the coach of a Chinese Super League side.

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2020 at 1:54 PM, Edinburgh said:

Anyone know where I could find out if it's possible to watch Socceroos training the day before the Perth match?

Well, looks like I won't need to concern myself with that. 

All AFC WC qualifiers to be cancelled and rescheduled for October and later subject to FIFA approval (of the alternate schedule?)

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/afc-coronavirus-crackdown-threatens-to-sideline-socceroos-world-cup-journey-until-october

Flights, accommodation and tickets all arranged and paid for. Assuming the cancellation is confirmed, I wonder what I can salvage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • mack changed the title to Australian National Teams Thread 5: WC Playoffs Here We Come
  • mack locked this topic