Central Coast Mariners

Mariners need to survive for A-league sake and hope it does stay in Central Coast. When there was only 8 teams they were the first with the academy, first upgrading training facilities and the first to even try to own its own stadium and all of that goes to waste if it moves. The ownership of the last 7 years should not damper the first 8 years of success and innovation.

Having a national second division with promotion/relegation would mean teams like CCM can find their level and spend what they can afford.

Right now their choices are to either spend outside their means while still routinely finishing last in the only fully pro league, move somewhere else, or fold the club.

You might as well wait for him to hand the license back and then ask the FFA/A-League clubs to give you the license for free.

The Mariners are near worthless. Their COE hasn't been finished and I'm not sure how much of the rights they hold over what is there (and knowing Charlesworth, he's going to try and keep that land if he still owns it no matter if someone buys the Mariners). It was meant to have 6 large buildings but they only completed the one major central building and one of the smaller ones. The small grandstand for the main pitch never got built either.

If Charlesworth doesn't have much of the COE under his control (or refuses to sell it) then the Mariners are worthless.

The not so quiet rumour sometime ago, pre-COVID, was that the Canberra bid team was sniffing around the sea bogan licence. I was open to the idea then, but now the Mariners are actually slipping  over the edge, I’m not so sure... It’s a solid club when there’s a bit of investment, and, in better times, if the league bothered to organise its fixtures properly the club would generally get decent away crowds from both Sydney and Newcastle.

i think we need a twitter campaign #savethesaucebottles

Supposedly Charlesworth was asking for $11 million last year and had some solid interest but no-one moved forward with it.

If the A-League was run like a more normal league then the Mariners could have spent the last 15 years building up a local club and stadium (like Marconi managed to do back in the day) in a plot of land on the outskirts of Gosford (and so could have other A-League clubs).

Instead it's taken 10+ years before the A-League teams even bothered to get their own training facilities (and some still don't, eg SFC whose owner seemingly doesn't want to, or can't find, a plot of land to build their base in), and the moment Foxtel pulls the plug I would estimate something like 90% of each clubs revenue is out the window because no-one owns their own stadium, no-one owns a club, no-one owns a bunch of small sided rental pitches, no-one even owns their own intellectual property because of how Lowy setup the league. You can't even sell your players locally either up or down the pyramid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2020 at 5:19 PM, mack said:

Apparently Kaz Patafata & Zac Anderson (who have started a financial & legal company in Singapore of all places) want to buy the Mariners.

That is interesting since Patafta, ex-Adelaide United/Newcastle Jets player Shaun Ontong and ex-Reading FC player Andy Bernal (which is apparently one of David Beckham's personal assistant) had setup some football academy in Canberra in 2013.

I wonder if Patafta and Anderson did decide to go ahead and buy the license from Charlesworth, would they move the club to Canberra? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Mariner TV both coach and CEO said we have signed two overseas players for the front third need to get them into the country which is apparently not that easy... and plan to sign another two to three local more senior players...

We can but live in hope... 

Edited by Midfielder