Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Behind Closed Doors Draw


    mack

    The final Sydney Derby of the A-League regular season has ended in a 1-1 draw that the Wanderers were lucky to receive.

    With the game locked out to the public the match took on an eerie quality completely unlike those of derbies past. Both sides had to work into the contest, jockeying for control and it took until the 35th minute for Sydney FC to open the scoring. Kosta Barbarouses turned and shot at goal, forcing Daniel Lopar into a save where he pushed the ball back out towards his right. Adam Le Fondre pounced on the rebound with the Wanderers defence static, a tap-in into the empty net.

    The Wanderers came back out in the second half with a renewed sense of purpose but had trouble penetrating the Sydney FC penalty area. In particular, the Wanderers fullbacks seeing a lot of ball in the attacking third but they were incapable of finding a team-mate with a cross or cut-back.

    It was one of those poor crosses that eventually resulted in the Wanderers equaliser. A pair of deflections from Sydney FC saw the ball roll out to the edge of the penalty area, Simon Cox fired a first time strike that bounced off the feet of Kwame Yeboah and left Andrew Redmayne completely wrong-footed with no hope of a save. It was hardly a deserved equaliser if not for the effort in the 2nd half, and they pushed ahead to try and find a winner that would have put them back in the top 6. Unfortunately for the home side the inability to find the final ball reared it's ugly head once again and the game ran out as a 1-1 draw. It left Sydney FC without a Derby win this season but is unlikely to do much to halt their ascent to another A-League Premiership.

    The Wanderers next game is scheduled to be against Western United in Ballarat, Victoria on Saturday 29th March.

    Edited by mack

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Translated from a German article from Sport 1 with players who played in Germany all cited.

    A-League: Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers split in a tie Draw in the Sydney derby  Alexander Baumjohann (from left) warming up before the game against the Western Sydney Wanderers © Getty Images

    The derby between Sydney FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers ends in a draw. Alexander Baumjohann will be replaced after 75 minutes. Football professional Alexander Baumjohann lost a derby victory in the Australian A-League in times of the corona pandemic. With league leaders Sydney FC, the former Bundesliga professional had to settle for a 1-1 draw with the Western Sydney Wanderers in the city derby. While many leagues worldwide are paused due to the corona virus, the games are still played without spectators in Down Under. Müller and Schwegler are missing - Yeboah balances The Wanderers lacked ex-Frankfurt Nicolai Müller and former Hoffenheimer Pirmin Schwegler, veteran Patrick Ziegler played through. Order the latest fan articles from top international clubs now - go to the shop here! | DISPLAY Adam le Fondre (37.) deservedly brought the favorite into the lead, but the former Fortuna Cologne professional Kwame Yeboah (82.) deflected a shot for the hosts to late compensation. The 33-year-old Baumjohann was replaced in the 75th minute.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Thought you were a bit tough there Mack, I thought we shaded the first half and totally dominated the second half but agree it's frustrating when you do that and really don't create any clear cut chances.  Our crossing was below par from our wide guys and in their defence they had nothing to aim at in the middle anyway.  We swap Cox and Le fondre that game and we go on to win by 4 but unfortnately there was very little penetration without Muller and it left Duke with noone to play off. Defensively we were pretty solid outside the goal being conceded and once again when the going gets tough ABJ goes missing, thought we controlled Ninkovic well and it will not eventuate but if Sydney could pick a team they would not want to play in a final of some kind it would be WSW.  Some solace for another wasted season, knowing we took points of them 7-1 over the course of the season.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    37 minutes ago, scarcev said:

    Thought you were a bit tough there Mack, I thought we shaded the first half and totally dominated the second half but agree it's frustrating when you do that and really don't create any clear cut chances.  Our crossing was below par from our wide guys and in their defence they had nothing to aim at in the middle anyway.  We swap Cox and Le fondre that game and we go on to win by 4 but unfortnately there was very little penetration without Muller and it left Duke with noone to play off. Defensively we were pretty solid outside the goal being conceded and once again when the going gets tough ABJ goes missing, thought we controlled Ninkovic well and it will not eventuate but if Sydney could pick a team they would not want to play in a final of some kind it would be WSW.  Some solace for another wasted season, knowing we took points of them 7-1 over the course of the season.

    Why wasted season, still a chance of the semis,

    once we get to semis like you say sydney won’t want to play us, also a season where the home ground advantage will mean next to nothing. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Sounds Like Mack is going through a bout of Covid depression , what we need is some riddles from the riddler to brighten things up :)  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

    Why wasted season, still a chance of the semis,

    once we get to semis like you say sydney won’t want to play us, also a season where the home ground advantage will mean next to nothing. 

    Yea I reckon wasted season cos if we had played like we did last night against every opposition then we wouldnt be in a position where we would be scratching for points to make the 6 we would be comfortably in the top 4.  See what you mean though.  Game vs WU for me is win we are in, lose we are out, draw and it just gets strung out for a little longer..

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I'll probably double this (on here and on Baumjohann's thread)

    There's a Twitter account called A-League France (basically a group of French people that watch A-League and fans), they even had a go at Baumjohann on his losing streak in the Sydney Derby

    Of course, I had to let him know about this:

     

     

    Edited by MathyouWSW

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Our crossing was terrible and predictable. All our corners were wasted. DG telegraphs his cut to the right foot every single time. Yeboah is frustrating.

    We didn't deserve to lose that match so happy with the draw. Especially with a couple of key players out.

     

    Not sure why people are talking about finals. The league will be suspended before that happens or it'll be a shortened finals anyway. FFA pay for and reap the $ for finals. No point in having 5 games if no one is paying and no profits can be made.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

    He struggles to get up for some games.

    i guess i am more similar than him than i thought but replace some games with all games :P

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I made a gif of the Yeoboah goal (about 1.8mb... I’m getting better). It’s not as satisfying as I hoped it would be; unfortunately the frame rate suggests it was deliberate. 
     

    bB6sWdv.gif

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, mack said:

    You might want to look into creating WEBM files instead of gifs.

    Done! One of the things I can try now that I suspect I’ll have a little more spare time up my sleeves.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    If anything the smurfs were lucky to escape with a draw.  We were on top until their goal, then they grabbed back momentum until the half. Then we dominated.  In the end there was only gonna be one winner.

    Crossing was as bad as I can remember, as were the corners.

    Don't agree that Baccus was good.  I thought he was shocking. He lost the ball, or put passes behind guys etc., so many times.

    If you think about it, there were only a few players that really played well. And yet still we dominated them. Says something really. If we have a decent player instead of Cox, who is bang average, we win easily. And that's without Muller and Schwegsy.

    I still can't believe that Tass isn't in the back three. Criminal leaving a kid like that on the bench when he has so much potential and has not let us down.

    I was happy but still somewhat disappointed. No team has ever won all 3 Sydney derbies in a season. We could have done it at the end with a touch more class.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

    I'll probably double this (on here and on Baumjohann's thread)

    There's a Twitter account called A-League France (basically a group of French people that watch A-League and fans), they even had a go at Baumjohann on his losing streak in the Sydney Derby

    Of course, I had to let him know about this:

     

     

    Wait, there are A-league fans in France?

    Aussie expats surely?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

    Wait, there are A-league fans in France?

    Aussie expats surely?

    I think it's also because there have been French players in the A-league.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    This derby was streamed to a stack of countries with fans starved of their local football action ... So does anyone know what were the viewing figures?

    What sort of revenue did that produce for the FFA?  Would the clubs get a cut of that action?

    And importantly, what was the international reaction to the game itself, the pace of the game and the skills of the players?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Generator said:

    I made a gif of the Yeoboah goal (about 1.8mb... I’m getting better). It’s not as satisfying as I hoped it would be; unfortunately the frame rate suggests it was deliberate. 
     

    bB6sWdv.gif

    Whilst I'm not sure Yeboah absolutely meant it, if you watch replays (not GIF) carefully he definitely moves his foot towards the ball.  I think there was an intentional reaction and did enough to deflect the ball over Redmayne.

    When it comes to some degree of luck, their goal had a touch of that.  Yes it was a more deliberate set up through Ninc but the deflection save from Lopar could have gone anywhere but went to ALF - a few centimetres here or there and it doesn't give him such an easy tap in.

    The group of us watching on were impressed with the boys because we were definitely the better team across the park.  Their defence was solid but kept dropping to deep and they relied on having 6-8 behind the ball - always hard to get through.  Whilst both our wins against Smurfs came from great crosses, most goals in football come through the centre or from cut backs from byline inside penalty box - Kamau is probably the best proponent of this, although Duke and DG have done okay.  We don't have much height up front and so crosses in the air need to be earlier or behind the play giving Duke (doubt there's anyone else) to run through and head between the lines. 

    Thought our back line were solid and we were really the better team.  Sydney is definitely Read and Black in 2020!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, bombagol said:

    This derby was streamed to a stack of countries with fans starved of their local football action ... So does anyone know what were the viewing figures?

    What sort of revenue did that produce for the FFA?  Would the clubs get a cut of that action?

    And importantly, what was the international reaction to the game itself, the pace of the game and the skills of the players?

    Just read that in Italy alone, 25 million people watched it.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

    Just read that in Italy alone, 25 million people watched it.

    Better that game, than when they used to beam all SFC games into Italy, when Del Piero played for them.

    Cringeworthy most of those games were, as I recall.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    25 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

    Just read that in Italy alone, 25 million people watched it.

    25M watched that equaliser that’s brilliant 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, Carns said:

     

    Yeah but their normal top local games aren't when the whole country is in lockdown and the only football to watch is in Australia. Apparently the game was also getting heavy advertisement within Italy.

    Football is also Italy's national sport so they would want to watch any live football they could.

    Edited by THEWANDERERSPOST

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

    Yeah but their normal top local games aren't when the whole country is in lockdown and the only football to watch is in Australia. Apparently the game was also getting heavy advertisement within Italy.

    Not denying people watched, just don't think it was that high.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

    I wonder what Italian is for, “for **** sake why can’t you cross a ball”

    I’m sure they just yell out their version of Que Puta! Or you know, something about ******* your mum etc. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

    I wonder what Italian is for, “for **** sake why can’t you cross a ball”

    Corona.....too soon, yeah its too soon isnt it.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    First half we were ok but second half, we pressed very high the smurfs half and they had to defend deep, considering the players were missing, I thought we did very well, its a game we should have won based on the performance of both teams int he second half.

    The Le Fondre goal was just soft, give him time and space and he will score, its a shame that no one marked him in defence, our goal was very lucky but well deserved.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...